Flight plans lost?

Old June 24th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Flight plans lost?

"Jon" wrote in message
ps.com...

" The software said it requires Windows 95 or better, so I installed
Linux "

When you start from ZERO...

:~)

Old June 25th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Morgans wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote

This will be a real test of Microsoft's power. It might be just the boost
Linux needs to go mainstream in a big way.

And you know Apple loves it.

Chuckle Yep!

One thing my sister in law says, is "they tried to make Vista look like the
Apple OS's. If I had wanted that, I would have gotten a Mac!"

If it worked like an Apple, that would be cool.
Superficially steeling the Apple styling isn't worth much.

Oddly, we've had to do darn little as a software manufacturer
to go form Windows 95 to NT to 2000 to XP (other than picking
up NEW features). Vista broke that. I had to task two guys
for a few weeks fixing things up. It's not just us that's
running into the problem.

Old June 25th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Jun 25, 7:06 am, Ron Natalie wrote:
Morgans wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote

This will be a real test of Microsoft's power. It might be just the boost
Linux needs to go mainstream in a big way.

And you know Apple loves it.

Chuckle Yep!

One thing my sister in law says, is "they tried to make Vista look like the
Apple OS's. If I had wanted that, I would have gotten a Mac!"

If it worked like an Apple, that would be cool.
Superficially steeling the Apple styling isn't worth much.

Oddly, we've had to do darn little as a software manufacturer
to go form Windows 95 to NT to 2000 to XP (other than picking
up NEW features). Vista broke that. I had to task two guys
for a few weeks fixing things up. It's not just us that's
running into the problem.

In another branch, Matt Barrow wrote:

Lose the corporate AND the vast majority of the consumer ("power user")
market, and you're in trouble. Lose the geeks and you're in SERIOUS trouble.

Lose developer support and you're done.

Old June 25th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Morgans wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote

This will be a real test of Microsoft's power. It might be just the boost
Linux needs to go mainstream in a big way.

And you know Apple loves it.

Chuckle Yep!

One thing my sister in law says, is "they tried to make Vista look like the
Apple OS's. If I had wanted that, I would have gotten a Mac!"

If it worked like an Apple, that would be cool.
Superficially steeling the Apple styling isn't worth much.

Oddly, we've had to do darn little as a software manufacturer
to go form Windows 95 to NT to 2000 to XP (other than picking
up NEW features). Vista broke that. I had to task two guys
for a few weeks fixing things up. It's not just us that's
running into the problem.

Just wait until the recording industry trade group decides they don't
like your audio and/or video card and tells MS to enforce the terms of
their agreement and turn off the drivers for your particular card.
Old June 26th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:09:21 -0400, Jose
wrote:

This will be a real test of Microsoft's power.

Microsoft can just wait, and machines will get more powerful, and people
will get used to the intrusive security.

Or they will get fed up with it, DRM, and rebel.
I already see a lot of computing professionals doing that. They only
go to Vista if they need to for programming. It's interesting to note
they have extended the support plans for XP to the point where it'll
be supported after Vista has been replaced with the next OS. At least
that is what they said a couple months back.

Jose

Old June 26th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Default OT Vista (was Flight plans lost?)

Or they will get fed up with it, DRM, and rebel.
I already see a lot of computing professionals doing that. They only
go to Vista if they need to for programming.

The way it seems to work is that new programs are written that use, and
even require, the new OS. Eventually people need those capabilites, and
pony up. Microsoft can afford to just sit and wait for that to happen.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 27th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:42:22 -0400, Jose
wrote:

Or they will get fed up with it, DRM, and rebel.
I already see a lot of computing professionals doing that. They only
go to Vista if they need to for programming.

The way it seems to work is that new programs are written that use, and
even require, the new OS. Eventually people need those capabilites, and
pony up.

Maybe and maybe not. Most businesses can get by with less horsepower
and older apps without a problem. The only thing Vista has to offer is
it looks pretty and is a little more secure than XP with the default
settings which are a lot more annoying if you have to work on the
things. Of course the DRM comes free but adds overhead and reduces the
things you can do even with your own stuff, but so do the lack of
drivers.

Normally I'm an early adopter, but not this time.

Microsoft can afford to just sit and wait for that to happen.

Several trade journals have called Vista the ME of 2007.

Jose