Pappy Boyington Honored

Old August 9th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Pappy Boyington Honored

Gattman wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

I believe he deserves it. I just wouldn't walk up to the Greg Boyington I
knew and tell him he deserved it without being ready to duck :-)

It's funny how often words to the effect of "being ready to duck" come up
with regard to Boyington from people I talk to who knew him.

Maybe the college memorial could feature a youthful Boyington holding a
student senator in a headlock with Jackson's "The Union Must and Shall be
Preserved" inscribed underneath.

-c

Wouldn't be that far off for a Boyington memorial. Greg was an avid
wrestler in school and later on his life when things weren't going as
well as they might have been for him, he refereed wrestling matches.
He was one tough guy really. I always considered his face on an equal
par with Claire Chennault. We have a picture of Chennault (a gift from
Anna Chennault) hanging on our den wall. After a few drinks, I swear I
couldn't tell you if it is Chennault or Greg Boyington's picture. Both
faces looked like they were carved out of solid granite :-)
If there is one thing I'll remember about Greg Boyington, it's that he
suffered "heroes" badly. He didn't like the term used around him and I
know few who didn't honor that wish. He was a deep, and in a strange
way, sad man who was cut out of the right stuff in spite of himself. He
flew as he lived, with a no nonsense attitude that put priorities in the
order he believed they should be placed. What Greg Boyington was can be
summed up in one sentence that he laid on me one night on the phone. We
were talking about "heroes" as a matter of fact and his MOH specifically.
"I didn't have time to be a damn hero. I was too busy trying to stay
alive out there". It's the guys who didn't make it. They went up scared,
but they went up anyway. Some didn't come home. THEY were the heroes".
That about sums up Greg Boyington as I saw him anyway.
I'm very pleased that the American people realize that by honoring Greg,
they are honoring a man who exemplifies the very essence of the word
"hero"; that being a man who is one but feels the honor belongs to those
with whom he served who didn't come home.
Who deserves the recognition of his country more than Greg Boyington?
Dudley Henriques
Old August 9th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 9, 2:46 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 9, 2:05 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Gattman wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
.. .
I noted the way I had expressed this paragraph in the post but decided
that the end sentence saying that Greg "WAS" a regular guy was enough to
clarify! I should have realized that this is Usenet, and I'm dealing with
people here whom I don't know and who don't know me.
Well, Col. Boyington may have considered himself a regular guy and may have
acted as such, but the American people have spoken and there's no shortage
of people including WWII vets and at least one humble ex-POW I knew who
considered him to be a national hero maybe BECAUSE he was such a regular guy
(except in the cockpit) who came up and rallied other ordinary guys in a
time of deadly and critical necessity.
Ie, he wasn't a West Point glory-seeker like many officers, and he certainly
didn't fly a desk and take credit for everybody else's successes. In fact I
think his blue-collar mentality is part of the reason -why- he deserves the
status as a national hero.
-c
Actually Greg graduated from the University of Washington and was no
slouch in the "brains department".
Boyington realized all too well that the American people like to honor
their "heroes" as well they should honor these people.
He also had great personal feelings about those who didn't survive the
war and were still out there. To him, and he told me this more than
once, THEY were HIS heroes.

It was for this reason he generally didn't take too well to being
referred to as a hero in any shape or form and usually shied away from
any and all situations created by civilians that singled him out for
special attention.
Greg Boyington deserves any honor his country decides to give to him.
Just remember that there are those who seek these honors and those who
don't seek them. Greg was definately a non-seeker of this type of
notoriety. This simple fact in no way infers that Greg Boyington doesn't
deserve this honor.
I believe he deserves it. I just wouldn't walk up to the Greg Boyington
I knew and tell him he deserved it without being ready to duck :-)

Dudley Henriques- Hide quoted text -

Well I for one am proud to have an airport in my home state named for
him. Too bad Washington state missed the boat.

I grew up watching Baa Baa Black Sheep on T.V. which is where I first
found out who he was and what he had done. The corsairs were pretty
cool too!

Dean W.
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

Greg wasn't particularly enamored with the show, as were a lot of the
VMF214 survivors but went along with the "program" so to speak.
The general mood among the 214 guys was that it was a "show" :-))
You're right, Corsairs are great airplanes, as are all the great WW2
prop fighters. When the present crop are finally gone, the world will
never again see the likes of these wonderful noisy smelly machines.
:-)
Dudley Henriques- Hide quoted text -

I'm sure the show wasn't true to life, but for a teenage audience it
was entertaining and gave a sense of what had gone on before we were
born...

Dean W
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

Old August 9th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Gattman wrote:
[...]

Even "Meatball" the bull terrier was made up......but he WAS cute!! :-)
DH
Old August 10th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Godwin

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

I noted the way I had expressed this paragraph in the post but
decided
that the end sentence saying that Greg "WAS" a regular guy was
enough to clarify! I should have realized that this is Usenet, and
I'm dealing with people here whom I don't know and who don't know
me.

One should also note that Pappy started the VFW Post at the Chino
Airport.

Old August 10th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

John Godwin wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

I noted the way I had expressed this paragraph in the post but
decided
that the end sentence saying that Greg "WAS" a regular guy was
enough to clarify! I should have realized that this is Usenet, and
I'm dealing with people here whom I don't know and who don't know
me.

One should also note that Pappy started the VFW Post at the Chino
Airport.

I didn't know that. Greg was active in quite a few veterans affairs;
mostly back channel. It's good he chose to get involved in this worthy
project.
DH
Old August 10th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 9, 11:22 am, C J Campbell

On Aug 9, 9:55 am, C J Campbell

On Aug 9, 8:51 am, C J Campbell
On 2007-08-09 07:36:32 -0700, RL Anderson said:

Folks,

The airport in Couer d'Alene Idaho is getting a new name. It will be
known as Pappy Boyington Field. The story is located he

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...n_Airport.html

Kind of late, but better late than never.

Rick

No doubt the students at the University of Washington will protest.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Ha! Let 'em protest! The airport is in Idaho, not Washington. By
the way, we are sending our Boise State Broncos to UW in September to
kick a little Husky butt. That will give them something else to whine
about...

Dean

The UW's attitude has severely tested my Husky loyalty. Nevertheless,
your Broncos will return home in shameful defeat.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor- Hide quoted text -

Not a chance!!!! I am planning on attending the game to cheer on our
Orange and Blue!

Dean
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

As usual, I will be ignoring the game. However, the Broncos got uppity
last year, thinking that they could play against real football teams.
One season does not a great football team make. They are going to find
that out this year.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor- Hide quoted text -

One season? The Broncos are 5 time WAC champions, and have the
longest winning streak of any team in 1A football.

Old August 11th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 10, 4:35 pm, C J Campbell
On 2007-08-09 12:27:16 -0700, said:

Lets see....

USC 7-2 11-2
California 7-2 10-3
Oregon State 6-3 10-4
UCLA 5-4 7-6
Oregon 4-5 7-6
Arizona State 4-5 7-6
Arizona 4-5 6-6
Washington State 4-5 6-6
Washington 3-6 5-7
Stanford 1-8 1-11

Oh, there they are! Right above the Stanford band!

Where did BSU finish?

Boise State 8-0 13-0
Hawaii 7-1 11-3
San Jose State 5-3 9-4
Nevada 5-3 8-5
Fresno State 4-4 4-8
Idaho 3-5 4-8
New Mexico State 2-6 4-8
Louisiana Tech 1-7 3-10
Utah State 1-7 1-11

Yeah, guess you are right. BSU will be very lucky to win...

Dean
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

Heh-heh-heh.

They got to lose sometime. Maybe this is the year.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor- Hide quoted text -

Its always a possibility! :-)

Old August 17th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 9, 8:36 am, RL Anderson wrote:
Folks,

The airport in Couer d'Alene Idaho is getting a new name. It will be
known as Pappy Boyington Field. The story is located he

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...n_Airport.html

Kind of late, but better late than never.

Rick

Pappy Boyington was born in Couer d'Alene according to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Boyington