Don't fly to Mexico

Old April 16th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Don't fly to Mexico

On Apr 16, 2:55*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Apr 16, 1:44*pm, wrote:

On Apr 16, 1:49*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Apr 16, 9:30*am, wrote:

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s...8-mexico_plane....

Flying to Mexico can't be worth the risk...

If this had happened in California I trust you would have the same
recomendation? Flying in Mexico is unlike any type of flying on earth.
In fact if I could no longer fly in Mexico I would likely sell my
plane. There is simply no place on earth more beautfiul to fly over.
There is no other place where you can pet whales, swim with sea lions
and snorkle in water with unlimited visibility and only be a few hours
from California. Flying into Mexico is like stepping back in time.
Before air congestion, before airspace was eaten up by B's and C',
before things got so complicated. Plus, its easy to justify a 2 hour
flight when the drive would be more than a day. The people in Mexico
are very friendly and you can walk the streets without having to worry
as much as in the US.

-robert

Has there ever been a case of criminals forcing someone out of their
airplane at gunpoint in California, or any other state, so that they
could steal the airplane? *I haven't heard of any such case. *Do you
have an example?

To my knowledge this is the first time this has happened. Certainly
not a pattern from which you would make generalized assumptions.

-Robert- Hide quoted text -

The drug gangs in Mexico have killed a lot of people in recent years.
Even one event such as this targeting light airplanes is a disturbing
development, and there is a good chance that they will do it again. I
for one wouldn't take that chance, and I think it is important that
pilots be aware of this. Are you saying that I shouldn't warn
people?

You can take that chance if you want Robert, but I don't think it is
worth the risk. Frankly, it ****es me off that these scumbags
threatened a family with small children. I doubt that the Mexican
cops will ever find these guys. They don't control their side of the
border with the U.S., and they can't seem to stop their extremely
violent drug cartels that kill honest police officers and bribe the
dishonest police officers.

Oh, and I wouldn't set foot in Watts, California either.
Old April 16th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:44:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote in
:

Has there ever been a case of criminals forcing someone out of their
airplane at gunpoint in California, or any other state, so that they
could steal the airplane? I haven't heard of any such case. Do you
have an example?

And yes, if this was happening in California, I would recommend that
people not fly there either.

In LA the gang bangers, and other motorists, take pot shots at other
drivers:
http://www.knbc.com/news/4449599/detail.html . I've seen
bumper stickers: "I Return Fire."

Here's a recent one:
http://lapdblog.typepad.com/lapd_blo...y-shootin.html

March 31, 2008
Freeway Shooting
Los Angeles: The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating
the shooting of 20-year-old, Marlon Gordillo Sical, a Los Angeles
resident.

On Sunday, March 30, 2008, at around 8:15 a.m., Mr. Sical was shot
while driving his white four-door Honda Accord, southbound on the
101 freeway, near the Van Nuys Boulevard off ramp. As a result of
being shot, he lost control of his vehicle and crashed into the
center divider.

Paramedics responded and transported Mr. Sical to a....

And the Sheriff won't answer Grand Jury questions:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2498461.story
The Sheriff's Department tried to keep the grand jury's evidence
secret. The Times and the Orange County Register went to court to have
the transcripts made public. They show that then-Sheriff Michael S.
Carona exercised his 5th Amendment rights rather than answer the
panel's questions.

The grand jury found that while one of the ranking guards at the
jail in Orange exchanged personal cellphone text messages and watched
the television show "Cops," a 41-year-old computer technician was
stomped and beaten to death not far from the glass-walled guard
station.

Though the pummeling lasted up to 50 minutes, guards said they
were unaware of it until it was over. While jail logs from that day
said guards checked the cellblock where the beating occurred every 30
minutes, the grand jury concluded that the area had not been checked
for five hours.

The transcripts suggest that a mixture of systemic indolence and
officially sanctioned inmate violence underpinned the death of the
inmate, John Derek Chamberlain.

"Inmates do run the jail system," Phillip Le, a deputy on duty at
the jail that day, told the grand jury. "There is more inmates than
deputies."

Chamberlain was in custody on suspicion of possessing child
pornography when inmates dragged him into Cubicle D and attacked him
in successive waves, at times washing blood from the crime scene and
their own clothes. Inmates believed, mistakenly, that he had been
charged with molestation.

He suffered 43 displaced rib fractures and was stripped,
sodomized, spat on and urinated upon. During the attack, he screamed
and pleaded for help. According to testimony, jail guard Kevin Taylor
spent that time watching "Cops" and exchanged 22 personal text
messages on his cellphone. It was not until an inmate stood in front
of the guard station, waving his arms at the window, that deputies
said they noticed something wrong.

"The cumulative evidence often demonstrated that vigilance was the
exception as opposed to the rule," according to a the report of the
investigation prepared by Rackauckas.

Four inmates told investigators that jail deputies falsely told
inmates that Chamberlain had been charged with molestation, setting up
the fatal attack. But Rackauckas said the inmates' story could not be
corroborated independently. Nor was there enough evidence to charge
sheriff's deputies and officials, even though several lied to the
grand jury, he said. The district attorney's summary report also
showed instances in which deputies tampered with and withheld evidence
and interfered with the grand jury investigation.

Rackauckas expressed doubt about a log entry at 2:30 p.m. on the
day of Chamberlain's slaying, saying that the Mission Viejo man told
deputies he was not in fear for his life. "That's probably not very
believable, but we don't have any evidence to contradict it," he said
in a statement. "We don't have proof beyond a reasonable doubt that
the entry is a falsification."

As part of its probe, the grand jury examined why the Sheriff's
Department, then under the command of Carona, insisted on conducting
the investigation into Chamberlain's death, despite a clear county
policy that the task belonged to the district attorney's office.

Despite the "thorough and complete" work of the grand jury,
Rackauckas said, he still did not know who in the sheriff's chain of
command determined that the agency would investigate. Carona refused
to cooperate with the inquiry. Asked if he was the sheriff of Orange
County the day Chamberlain died, Carona declined to answer that
question as well. Prosecutors finally gave up and excused Carona. ...
Old April 16th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

The incident I'm thinking of happened in the U.S., so I presume you would
not recommend flying in that country either.

Lately a guy was killed in the USA who did nothing particular, he just
lived there. So I would not recommend to live in the USA at all.
Old April 17th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Apr 16, 9:30 am, wrote:
http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s...8-mexico_plane...

Flying to Mexico can't be worth the risk...

You have no idea what you are talking about. Airplanes thefts are
*much* more common in Arizona than Mexico.

-Robert, CFII and frequent Baja flyer

If you can afford that plane you can afford a tracking system...

Or

A poor mans tracking system, I been playing with the spot could make a
simple old school 555 timer circuit to auto activate the OK message button
every 5 or 10 min and place in the wing tip with a power wire and track it.

Old April 17th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bobmrg

On Apr 16, 9:30*am, wrote:
http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s...8-mexico_plane...

Flying to Mexico can't be worth the risk...

Back in the 60s I belonged to a club that had two airplanes, a 172 and
a 182. We were self-insured. One of the members (the treasurer, as it
happens) took the 182 to Mexico and, after having an engine problem,
landed on a remote strip. There were a few locals standing around, and
they promised to keep an eye on the plane while the club member went
into town to get a mechanic. When he returned, he said that the
airplane looked as though it had been hit with golf balls...every
surface was dimpled or caved it...and the locals were gone. As I
recall, we salvaged the engine, but the airframe was a total loss.

Bob Gardner
Old April 17th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

On Apr 16, 9:30 am, wrote:
[...]

I like flying in Mexico, simple just costs money.... 206's and 210 are very
popular for drug running every time I been there in one it's been look at
closer then a 182 or 172. I get to push the button on the stop light hahaha
now that a random security screening.

Old April 17th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
m...

Why do you suppose they prefer Cessna 200 series over low-wing planes?

Beats me. I'm not a drug runner.

To clear the scrub brush and high berms on the sides of the dirt roads they
land on.

Old April 17th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"deanwil" == deanwil writes:

deanwil http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....6d0cc87f.html
deanwil Flying to Mexico can't be worth the risk...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...vihuAD90353H01
Going to college in the USA can't be worth the risk....
--
Everything has been figured out, except how to live.
~ Jean Paul Sartre
Old April 17th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

(The drug gangs in Mexico have killed a lot of people in recent years.
Even one event such as this targeting light airplanes is a disturbing
development, and there is a good chance that they will do it again. I
for one wouldn't take that chance, and I think it is important that
pilots be aware of this. Are you saying that I shouldn't warn
people?

Oh, and I wouldn't set foot in Watts, California either.)

I bet if the media said the world was ending you would believe it! Don't let
Fear control you! I am a white boy and been in the Watts neighborhood alone
at night even slept on the street there still here... I was a American
walking the streets of Beirut Lebanon alone during the day and at night in
September 2006 Guess what still alive... The world is a safe place if you
have the right attitude and mentality. Only place that caught my attention
and almost set off my fear instinct was Luanda, Angola but again nothing
happened... I just was extra cautious and learned my suroundings.

The media in this country is owned by religion and fuel by the government
both have a history of controlling people by fear!!! Turn your brain on and
think for yourself... and have some street smarts and independent thoughts!

The media lies and dose not tell the entire truth or is helping religous or
goverment cover up issues...

I would even go to Iraq right now if I had the chance.... and the pay was
good enough!

Mexico Al Eddie Soaring 3 September 7th 06 12:02 AM
Mexico Border TFR No that bad Gig 601XL Builder Piloting 45 June 30th 06 04:22 PM
METAR from Mexico Przemek Piloting 2 October 21st 05 02:45 AM
Flying to and in Mexico Birdbrain13 Home Built 4 August 26th 05 04:31 PM
Soaring in Mexico? John Shelton Soaring 1 January 31st 04 08:11 PM