Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Old September 10th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Mxsmanic wrote:

You must be independently wealthy and retired if you can actually
afford to fly in real life.

Are you really that ignorant? I work full time, and I'm doing ok, but
I'm certainly not wealthy and have no problem flying most times I want
to. Of course, being able to get paid for instructing helps. I
seriously suggest you actually do some research into what you are
talking about, because you're coming off as pretty stupid.
Old September 10th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Emily,

Actually, I agree with him on the "hours to get past the paranoia of
incompetent security staff". The rest of it is just hyperbole. But are
you really surprised?

No, I'm not. Quite a character we caught ourselves here in the group.

Sure, the security is incompetency and paranoia embodied. Would that keep
me from a visit to exciting foreign places? No way! It's called real life -
no sim can beat it ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 10th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

You must be independently wealthy and retired if you can actually
afford to fly in real life.

Just for your information, since you mentioned the cost of flying in
another post as well: The certificate will cost you something like 4000
or 5000 dollars spread over 6 months or a year. Does spending that kind
of money over that period of time require wealth and retirement? No, it
requires dedication. Have that?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 10th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Mxsmanic,

You must be independently wealthy and retired if you can actually
afford to fly in real life.

Just for your information, since you mentioned the cost of flying in
another post as well: The certificate will cost you something like 4000
or 5000 dollars spread over 6 months or a year. Does spending that kind
of money over that period of time require wealth and retirement? No, it
requires dedication. Have that?

Just think, he could get rid of his internet access and fly about a half
hour to an hour a month. Worth it to me!
Old September 10th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Dave Stadt writes:

Thanks for providing that information. Guess I'll sell the airplane and
go
play with my simulator.

It's a personal choice, and a matter of economics. If you have lots
of money and time, being a real pilot becomes more practical, if that
interests you.

Believe what you want but MSFS is a toy and nothing more.

Believe what you want, but MSFS is a simulator.

Sure it is and I just flew to the moon to get a load of green cheese.

Old September 10th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 02:19:25 GMT, Jose
wrote in :

"Your call is important to us. Our operators are busy right now giving
their full attention to other airlines. We will be with you shortly.
Did you know that you can find most of the information you seek on our
website? Please log on to www.getlostspamcan.com. In the mean time, we
hope you enjoy our new rap hold music."

Yeah know, I keep hearing "this call may be recorded for quality
assurance", but the quality is anything but. :-)

Old September 10th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Roger (K8RI) writes:

That is because most of us are used to tactile feed back.

No, it's because some simulators are so realistic that one forgets
that it's just a simulation. This is most common with full-motion
simulators, but motion is not necessarily required.

Actually you can do the same while simming with three large screens so
you have all the visual cues and no physical. Eyes and sense of
balance don't agree...instant queasy.

From what I've read, queasiness sets in from a variety of causes and
the exact mechanism isn't known. I've never been queasy in
simulations, because the scenery just isn't moving fast enough (and if
it were, that would probably be a bad sign). Playing Doom has
nauseated me on a number of occasions, though, and watching _The Blair
Witch Project_ did the same.

Presumably if you're flying the plane it greatly diminishes the
chances of motion sickness. I think it's the ability to understand
the movement that is more important than the ability to feel it; that
is, if the movement you see or feel corresponds to something your
brain can figure out, you won't get sick.

Old September 10th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

Uh, not many. We realize how DRASTICALLY different MSFS and real flying
area.

There's more than just MSFS out there. And even MSFS can be
engrossing to a greater extent than you seem willing to admit.

Old September 10th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

Have you flown a real simulator?

Yes.

Do me a favor. Get an instructor and rent an airplane for an hour.
Have him let you fly some holds and approaches under the hood.

I can't afford it, unfortunately.

Old September 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Roger (K8RI) writes:

snip

Presumably if you're flying the plane it greatly diminishes the
chances of motion sickness. I think it's the ability to understand
the movement that is more important than the ability to feel it; that
is, if the movement you see or feel corresponds to something your
brain can figure out, you won't get sick.

We aren't talking about motion sickness, we're talking about spatial
disorientation. I've never been motion sick, but I HAVE been
disoriented in night IMC on a missed approach. I promise you many other
pilots are the same way.

The fact is, you really have zero clue what it's really like to fly IFR.
A simulator (which MSFS is not) doesn't come close. Simulators are
good for practicing procedures, but they will not teach you to ignore
the feelings the plane is giving you. I'm asking you again....why don't
you go to an airplane, get an instructor to let you fly under the hood,
and REALLY experience what it's like?

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
AirCraft Radio Communications [email protected] Rotorcraft 0 November 13th 03 12:48 AM