Who de-activated ground-air missiles on 9-11?

Old May 11th 04, 01:56 AM
Dave Holford

The Pentagon is protected by a computerized system. When a plane
enters the pentagon protected space the computer automatically sends a
message to the plane demanding the pilot punch in a code allowing it
to enter the space. If that is not done within seconds, the plane is
automatically shot down with missiles

Have you tried to give any semi-serious thought to this?

How would the computer send a message to the plane? Does it broadcast
this on all possible aviation frequencies simultaneously - that would be
a feat, even for military systems; especially if the pilot happened to
be transmitting at the time the message was sent. Or maybe they fire a
flare in the color-of-the-day?

What does the pilot punch the 'code' into? Some secret magic box. Not
likely to be the ATCRBS/SSR since that is already being monitored by
multiple civil and military radars.

If such a code existed it would have to be given to all pilots who might
possibly fly into pentagon airspace, given that the airspace around
Washington is fairly busy; and prominently displayed in the cockpit
since it must be entered in 'seconds' to avoid being shot down. That
makes it pretty difficult to keep it secret.

And, since violations of prohibited airspace are regular events, and no
one has been shot down yet, it seems unlikely that your statement makes
any sense at all.

But it's fun playing!

Dave
Old May 11th 04, 04:27 PM
Chris Manteuffel

"Jim Knoyle" wrote in message ...

Hey, Paul, years ago they used to let us go up to the top of
the Washington Monument. I have several photos that I took
from those little windows. Could it be that they don't let visitors
climb to the top anymore because they would see the missles?

The Washington Monument is open for tourists again.

And I've driven all the way around the Pentagon in the last month;
during working hours you will see assorted Hummvee's on the perimeter,
but certainly none of this automated system, which sounds quite
dangerous, an automatic system so close to the busy DCA.

Chris Manteuffel
Old May 11th 04, 09:50 PM
james

In article ,
Peter Kemp wrote:

All the remains of the aircraft are bulldozed into the Potomac - why
do you think you're not allowed to use private submarines on the
Potmac eh?

Not allowed to use private submarines on the Potomoc? Other watercraft
are allowed? How about scuba diving?
Old May 11th 04, 04:15 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:31:43 +0100, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

So where would these mystery missiles be fired from? (And where would
the wreckage of their kills land?)

Hey stupid. You think america is just gonna let some terrorist drop
on the White House??? Your hate is matched only by your stupidity.
Old May 11th 04, 06:52 AM
Krztalizer

So where would these mystery missiles be fired from? (And where would
the wreckage of their kills land?)

Hey stupid. You think america is just gonna let some terrorist drop
on the White House??? Your hate is matched only by your stupidity.

Yo, dork, you DO know some fool crashed a light aircraft into the White House
only a few years ago, right? If not, pay more attention in Civics class
tomorrow - you aren't getting your money's worth out of high school.

Why didn't we shoot that one down, genius?

Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

An LZ is a place you want to land, not stay.

Old May 11th 04, 02:37 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
(B2431) writes:
From:
nt (Krztalizer)

So where would these mystery missiles be fired from? (And where would
the wreckage of their kills land?)

Hey stupid. You think america is just gonna let some terrorist drop
on the White House??? Your hate is matched only by your stupidity.

Yo, dork, you DO know some fool crashed a light aircraft into the White House
only a few years ago, right? If not, pay more attention in Civics class
tomorrow - you aren't getting your money's worth out of high school.

Why didn't we shoot that one down, genius?

There was also someone who tried to fly a UH-1 into the White House
back in the '70s, as well.

The funny part was after that happened people serously suggested keeping Secret
Service types on the roof of the White House armed with stingers. It was
discussed in this NG.

And universally derided as a Bad Idea. A small missile, like a
Stinger, isn't going to stop an airplane in its final dive - you'll
just get hit with a damaged airplane. (Or, if it misses the White
House, crash it into the heart of the city. _There's_ a delightful
prospect!) A more likely event is that any MANPADS/Avenger type stuff
fired in downtown D.C. would much rather track one of the zillions of
airliners around, rather than a fast-closing head-on, adn relatively
cool target. That gives you the yummy prospect of not only having had
somebody kamikaze the White House, but the Secret Service has just
shot down an airliner full of people. (Into downtown D.C., again)

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old May 11th 04, 09:06 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Laura Bush
murdered her boy friend writes
wrote:
So where would these mystery missiles be fired from? (And where would
the wreckage of their kills land?)

Hey stupid. You think america is just gonna let some terrorist drop
on the White House??? Your hate is matched only by your stupidity.

You mean that various kooks and cranks *haven't* landed aircraft on the
White House lawn? It was all a mass hallucination?

And SAMs and airport approaches don't mix.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old May 11th 04, 04:40 PM
Jeb

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message ...
In message , Laura Bush
murdered her boy friend writes
The Pentagon is protected by a computerized system. When a plane
enters the pentagon protected space the computer automatically sends a
message to the plane demanding the pilot punch in a code allowing it
to enter the space. If that is not done within seconds, the plane is
automatically shot down with missiles

Actually, if the aircraft doesn't identify itself, it's snatched away by
tractor beams from Planet Zort.

Out of interest, where would these supposed missiles be fired from? And
where are their fire-control radars?

I greatly enjoyed a stay in the Doubletree Arlington a few years ago,
and my tenth-floor window looked out with a marvellous panorama across
DC: the Pentagon on the left, National / Reagan on the right, the
National Mall in the middle, and not a SAM radar nor launcher to be seen
in between.

So where would these mystery missiles be fired from? (And where would
the wreckage of their kills land?)

(I know, I know, no fair getting into a battle of wits with the
unarmed...)

Well, I've got about a half-dozen of them stored in my basement in
Alexandria, but darn it all, I was at work that morning. And I'm told
that we have a swimming pool buried in the common area behind my
neighbors across the street, too.