Finland - USA 2-0

Old November 2nd 03, 05:15 PM
Alan Minyard

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 13:19:22 GMT, Fred J. McCall wrote:

"Yama" wrote:

:
:"WaltBJ" wrote in message
.com...
: "Nils Rostedt" wrote in message
: "WaltBJ" wrote in message
: Not correct.
: http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/
:
: I see. Only twice the rate in the USA.
:
:On a plus side, odds of getting gunned down are considerably smaller...

Well, odds of getting 'gunned down' here aren't significantly higher
than they are in Britain, if one starts off with the assumption that
one isn't a gang banger. Stay out of really bad neighborhoods and
avoid egregiously stupid behaviour like trying to frighten and
ignoring the warnings of armed people in their own homes and your odds
are much greater of slipping and falling to death in the bathtub than
they are of being 'gunned down'.

Not to mention the fact that I can, and would, shoot back!!!!!!!

Al Minyard
Old November 2nd 03, 07:12 PM
Yama

wrote:
Well, odds of getting 'gunned down' here aren't significantly higher
than they are in Britain, if one starts off with the assumption that
one isn't a gang banger. Stay out of really bad neighborhoods and
avoid egregiously stupid behaviour like trying to frighten and
ignoring the warnings of armed people in their own homes and your odds
are much greater of slipping and falling to death in the bathtub than
they are of being 'gunned down'.

Not to mention the fact that I can, and would, shoot back!!!!!!!

But we don't have to (though we certainly could...lotsa guns in Finland)

Old November 2nd 03, 08:11 PM
WaltBJ

What's 'really going to get you?'
1) Auto accidents. Another death here this weekend - skidded on the
ice, ejected from the car, not wearing a seat belt. 2 'Darwins' here -
driving too fast, and no seat belt. FWIW in our two counties here in
CO there were 135 ice-related accidents the same weekend. Dumbth
coefficient running high.
2) Iatrogenic deaths - due to your friendly medical institution. I
just read that in elective 'bariatric surgery' (stomach stitching for
obesity) the current death rate is 1 in 200. Also, the current tool
for medical-caused deaths in the USA is about 100,000 a year,
excelling fire arms and auto accidents combined. That'll give you
something to think about as the anesthesia takes hold - 'wonder if
I'll wake up?' or worse, 'wonder where I'll wake up?'
Old November 2nd 03, 08:35 PM
Steve Hix

"WaltBJ" wrote in message
Not correct.
http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/

I see. Only twice the rate in the USA.

On a plus side, odds of getting gunned down are considerably smaller...

Dead is dead, Bud. In the end, it doesn't matter much the means.
Old November 2nd 03, 11:42 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Fred J. McCall
writes
"Yama" wrote:
:On a plus side, odds of getting gunned down are considerably smaller...

Well, odds of getting 'gunned down' here aren't significantly higher
than they are in Britain, if one starts off with the assumption that
one isn't a gang banger.

But then starting assumptions are one of the reasons for the claim
"lies, damn lies, and statistics".

We're regularly told how we're at risk of violent death, hateful
enslavement, or both because we have fewer firearms than the US. The
point that my neighbourhood's had one armed robbery in five years (and
that with a toy gun... the cashier laughed and the would-be robber fled)
is by the bye. Apparently we're doomed to imminent death by a lack of
handguns.

Reality is less straightforward. We're not all going to die for a lack
of weapons and the US is not going to self-destruct for a surplus of
domestic firearms.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old November 4th 03, 07:25 AM
Marcus Andersson

Juvat wrote in message . ..
I had asked:

Which nation's economy, per capita GDP (i.e. most productive per
person) is the highest?

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, William
Wright blurted out:

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications.../2004rank.html

Luxemburg 1, USA 2 ... Finland 19

Touche...now the rest of the world can tremble. Behold, the economic
dynamo that is...Luxemborg!

Jealous, eh?
Old November 4th 03, 07:27 AM
Marcus Andersson

Alan Minyard wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 03:51:06 GMT, "Bjørnar Bolsøy" wrote:

"William Wright" wrote in
"Juvat" wrote in message
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police
noname blurted out:

Finland is the world's most competitive economy followed by
the United
States, Sweden, Denmark and Taiwan, according to a Global
Competitiveness Report released Thursday.

In economic terms "competitive economy" is extremely nebulous,
and some economists would suggest meaningless.

Not to set off a braging contest, but WRT the nordic
economies, below are some realworld figures for comparison
to the above.

Which nation's economy, per capita GDP (i.e. most productive
per person) is the highest?

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications...order/2004rank

.
html

Luxemburg 1, USA 2 ... Finland 19

Norway 6..

Of the nordic countries, Norway's GDP is 37% ahead of Finland
and Sweden according to the latest figures from Nordic
Statistical Yearbook 2003.

Sort of like watching mice fight.

Al Minyard

Until you're unlucky enough to get caught in between. Speaking of
fighting... I heard Norway these days has Europe's highest defence
budget, per capita.
Old November 4th 03, 07:30 AM
Marcus Andersson

"NEMO ME IMPUNE" wrote in message ...
How many Aircraft carriers in Finland?

(since when does this thread have anything to do with aircraft
carriers? Besides, I don't have a clue what this thread has to do in
the rec.aviation.military group.)

That being said, Finland does have around 60 F-18 Hornets, so I guess
they must have a couple of aircraft carriers too. I mean, why else
would they have carrier-planes?