report runway incursion non-towered airport?

Old February 28th 05, 12:27 PM
Joe Johnson

"Robert Coffey" wrote in message
news:NvwUd.64289$wc.37428@trnddc07...
are radio calls mandatory on uncontrolled fields?

No, not least because radios are not mandatory in uncontrolled airspace.

Old February 28th 05, 12:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Joe Johnson" wrote in message

We would have collided had I not done the 360 or gone around. Obviously,
saw the aircraft and made contigency plans (trying to "stay ahead" of the
situation) since I heard no radio transmissions, all in an effort to
minimize the probability of colliding. If he/she had held short a few
seconds longer and pulled out as I was crossing the threshold, then the
chances of a collision would have been substantial.

Well, which is it? Would you have collided without the 360 as it was or
would you have collided only if the Citation had held short a few seconds
longer and pulled out as you were crossing the threshold?

Old February 28th 05, 12:31 PM
Denny

Ya did good, Joe - nice job of heads up flying....

Now file it away in your school of hard knocks folder, and move on...
Life is too short to worry about little things like that... If you
confront the pilot he will rightously say he was using his radio and
you need to get yours fixed... At that point it is a school yard
scuffle on the level of, "Did so!" "Did not!"...

Running to the FAA only brings you to their attention and gives them
another incident to use in their campaign to eradicate general
aviation... How would you like for your picture to be posted in the
coffee room at the FSDO for every ramp inspector to memorize? Remember
the old chinese adage, "The nail that sticks up, gets hammered down."

cheers ... denny

Old February 28th 05, 12:34 PM
Joe Johnson

wrote in message
oups.com...
It pays to pay attention.

That's what I was trying to do...

Geezz I wonder how in the world we all got
along before everyone had radios and had to call everyone in the world
before we did anything........

Do you think radios decrease the chances of a collision at non-towered
fields?

What the hell is wrong with pilots these days?

That's exactly what I'm wondering. Life is probabilities. In flying, we
are taught to tilt the probabilities in our favor in dozens of ways. I
don't have to elaborate for a pilot with half a century of experience. We
know the Citation pilot had a radio--not using it, he/she wasn't minimizing
the chances of an accident.

grumpy old gray haired fart pilot who learned in the 50's ......

Best wishes for many more years of safe flying...

Old February 28th 05, 12:39 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Jose said:
"careless and reckless" doesn't seem to apply. Half mile final in a
cherokee (for example) is thirty seconds to touchdown. In that thirty
seconds the citation would be in the air and not a factor. It is not a

When I was student pilot I was practicing touch and goes solo at a local
uncontrolled airport. I was in the middle of announcing my turn to final
when a twin took the runway, so I ammended my call to say I was going to
do a right 270 for spacing. The pilot in the twin said "no, continue on
final, I'll be out of here in no time", so I did, and he was right.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
-- Ferenc Mantfeld
Old February 28th 05, 12:40 PM
Lakeview Bill

Isn't that the purpose of the "transmit on either com - listen on both"
switches that are on most audio panels?

"George Patterson" wrote in message

Joe Johnson wrote:

Should I report this to the FAA? If so, how? When in the course of an
aviation career does someone become so complacent that they don't say

"boo"
before taking an active runway?

I don't know how to report it, but if a pilot has that sort of attitude,

he does
not deserve to hold a commercial certificate. It's possible that he/she

was on
the wrong frequency, but I think a chat with the Feds is in order.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.

Old February 28th 05, 12:40 PM
Lakeview Bill

"Half mile final in a Cherokee (for example) is thirty seconds to touchdown.
In that thirty seconds the citation would be in the air and not a factor."

Assuming that the Citation didn't have to abort...

"Jose" wrote in message
om...
As I was on 1/4 to
1/2 mile final, the Citation suddenly took the runway and started the
takeoff roll; nary a radio call was heard. Prepared for this, I did a

360,
landed, and got the tail number from an airport employee.

Should I report this to the FAA?

No.

It might be worth a NASA report, but AFAICS no FAA regs were broken, and
"careless and reckless" doesn't seem to apply. Half mile final in a
cherokee (for example) is thirty seconds to touchdown. In that thirty
seconds the citation would be in the air and not a factor. It is not a
requirement to talk on the radio at an untowered field (and it shouldn't
be).

It is possible he didn't see you, had the wrong frequency, your radios
were turned down, you misjudged distance, any number of things. You
might (since you got the tail number) send the owner a note expressing
your concern, in case it's an "oops" on his part that he didn't realize.
It can be anonymous if you like - the important thing is that he get
the message that (maybe) he cut it too close.

But in this circumstance I don't see what calling the FAA out on him
would accomplish.

Jose
--
Nothing is more powerful than a commercial interest.

Old February 28th 05, 12:44 PM
Joe Johnson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

What's short final? Aircraft enter runways and takeoff in front of

aircraft
on final regularly without mishap.

Absolutely. I've been asked by ATC to make "short approach" in front of
faster aircraft multiple times. I'm comfortable with that as I trained at a
very busy class D field. Sometimes I've accepted and sometimes I've
declined. But everyone's on the radio and knows what's going on...

I believe the OP said he was on a on 1/4
to 1/2 mile final. Maybe. Maybe not. Many pilots are absolutely

horrible
at judging distance. There may have been plenty of room.

I substantially agree. That's why I gave the estimate a wide margin. I was
doing about 70 knots, so splitting the difference between my estimates would
give about 20 seconds. There would have been much less time if the Citation
had pulled out as I was crossing the threshold.

Old February 28th 05, 12:45 PM
kontiki

If it were me I'd would just chalk it up to experience. You were
in the pattern observing the runway the whole time and did the
appropriate "go-around" when necessary. That is exactly what you
train to do all the time as a student pilot... for just such situations.

Now if this particular pilot (or airplane) were known for this
sort of thing then I'd say go for it. I've has a couple of similar
situations occur at an uncontrolled airport myself but that's
what staying visual and avoidance is all about.

I may be in the minority but I'd say use it as a learning experience.
If you fly enough hours something similar may (will?) happen to you
(and hopefully nothing MORE serious). Just my $.02

Old February 28th 05, 12:46 PM
Joe Johnson

"mindenpilot" wrote in message
What's short final? Aircraft enter runways and takeoff in front of
aircraft on final regularly without mishap.

Short enough that he had to do a 360 instead of continuing in for landing.
I think the fact that he had to take evasive action means that the

Citation
wasn't paying attention.

Adam

Hi Adam. I didn't think the pilot was paying attention from the time I saw
him/her on the taxiway. That's when I started making contingency plans.