Can I fly it at night?

Old January 5th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Can I fly it at night?

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

Field approval. No doubt there is an approved wind
generator from the 1940s. The conversion should be a simple
matter, even on a certificated airplane.

Field approvals are not always so simple.

Old January 5th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Michael Ware wrote:
Someone mentioned the LED anti-collision light, I know Whelen offers LED nav
lights as well. Perhaps a call to them to find out what the draw would be
for anti-collision and the 3 nav lights to make him legal and safe, then see
what the different scenarios would be (i.e. a fully charged, 15 pound gel
cell battery might run those lights reliably for 3 hours). The light retro
would be a little costly, but it would be a simple system to maintain,
versus introducing an alternator or generator, and a belt or propellor or
whatever else you might need to run the thing.

I would be surprised if Whelen has an STC for a '41 Aeronca, but it's worth a try.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 5th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

True, when you are doing something strange, new and
unproven. Wind generators and pumps are common, have been
in use for decades. The only change is that you might be
changing from a DC generator to an alternator with a solid
state rectifier for DC output. The mount design and
location should already be present in approved data, for a
heavier generator. So, a field approval should be well
within the stricture of "at least as good as original."

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
message
ink.net...

Old January 5th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

A PMA/STC'd part can be installed and approved by a mechanic
and given a field approval by the local FAA. The parts will
be performing the same purpose, weigh the same or less and
make no change in structure, electrical load, or
aerodynamics. Before I bought parts, I'd certainly ask the
local federal inspector and be prepared to show why I
thought it complied with 43.13 and CAR3/FAR23, etc.
In general, such things as lights are approved generically,
as replacements for any previously approved installation.
Such hardware as autopilots and engine controls do require
more extensive approval, but changing from [or adding]
approved type lights is very minor, W&B being perhaps the
most critical.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old January 5th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

True, when you are doing something strange, new and
unproven. Wind generators and pumps are common, have been
in use for decades. The only change is that you might be
changing from a DC generator to an alternator with a solid
state rectifier for DC output. The mount design and
location should already be present in approved data, for a
heavier generator. So, a field approval should be well
within the stricture of "at least as good as original."

There is no original. An anticollision light installation on a 1941 Aeronca
Chief IS something strange, new and unproven.

Old January 5th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jim Macklin wrote:
Field approval. No doubt there is an approved wind
generator from the 1940s. The conversion should be a simple
matter, even on a certificated airplane.

Finding one may not be a simple matter. A friend of mine has an L-4. He was
looking for the correct generator for years. Dunno if he ever found one.

Old January 5th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jim Macklin wrote:

In general, such things as lights are approved generically,
as replacements for any previously approved installation.

Right. Tell that to Jay Honeck (who spent several thousand dollars removing
unapproved strobe lights from his Warrior).

Old January 5th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

There may not have been an anti-collision light on the 1941
Aeronca, but there are on newer airplanes of the same
general type. Strange and unproven would be a multi-colored
smoke generator, with high output lasers and fireworks
dispensers.

Engineering drawings, FAA approved data, an general
acceptable standards and practices exist for installation of
lights that are PMA/TC parts and they can be installed very
easily. The cost of parts, the extra utility gained by
night flying vs. the expense and paperwork are the
obstacles. FAA field approval is a minor bump.

see http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...4/ac43-210.pdf

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
message
ink.net...

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old January 5th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

If you can't find an original wind generator and mount
system, the drawings should be available and you can
fabricate repair parts.

Old January 5th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

You and your mechanic visit the local Fed over a cup of
coffee and talk about the proposed modification. You get
the "ducks in a row" and get something in writing before you
order parts. You do the conversion and the FAA signs off on
the field approval [see
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...4/ac43-210.pdf ].
If you make the changes and call in the FAA after the fact,
you have shown a rebel streak and if the Fed is an a..hole
he can refuse to do what is reasonable and proper.

There FAA has many nice aviation people and a few retired AF
Col. who didn't make their star. Talk to the local EAA
chapter, the local DER and then make friends with the FAA
guys and gals. Most are great people, but have the right
attitude.
Ask the Feds advice, "What's the best way to add
anti-collision lights to my airplane, I think they'll make
flying safer for everybody?" Don't say, "I think FAA rules
are too strict, I want to add these parts I bought to my
airplane and that jerk over in maintenance won't sign the
field approval."

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"George Patterson" wrote in message
newsO0vf.5087$Yc2.3298@trnddc04...
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| In general, such things as lights are approved
generically,
| as replacements for any previously approved
installation.

| Right. Tell that to Jay Honeck (who spent several thousand
dollars removing
| unapproved strobe lights from his Warrior).
|
| George Patterson
| Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by
rights belong to
| your slightly older self.

FAA PPL night flight requirement - does it have to be DUAL? Peter Clark Piloting 21 January 6th 05 12:38 AM
Night solo XC? G. Burkhart Piloting 51 October 14th 04 03:11 PM
Night of the bombers - the most daring special mission of Finnishbombers in WW2 Jukka O. Kauppinen Military Aviation 4 March 22nd 04 11:19 PM