New (old) bird

Old February 24th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default New (old) bird

Do I? Hell, no! I cruise at 140 knots, at 15 gph.

Lean, grasshopper, lean!

Snort! That *is* leaned. At take-off, we'll be around 24+ gph...

:-)

I read about these LSAs flying around at 120 knots on 3 gph, and start
salivating.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 24th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

When operating properly in cruise lean of peak 14.9 times fuel flow
equals horsepower. So pick your desired percent HP and set the fuel
flow accordingly.
When ROP, HP is proportional to AIR (controlled by RPM and MP), and
changing the FF doesn't matter much.

Old February 25th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

On 2008-02-24, Jay Honeck wrote:
I read about these LSAs flying around at 120 knots on 3 gph, and start
salivating.

Yeah. The Tecnam salesman I was flying the Bravo with was sure to point out
that it burned about 3.5 GPH at 4600 RPM and 105 KIAS. (I haven't seen
anyone claim 3 GPH for 120, but it won't be long before someone does, I'm
sure.)

Even 5.5 GPH for 115 KIAS in the Zodiac is a nice number...
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Old February 25th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

When operating properly in cruise lean of peak 14.9 times fuel flow equals
horsepower. So pick your desired percent HP and set the fuel flow
accordingly.
When ROP, HP is proportional to AIR (controlled by RPM and MP), and
changing the FF doesn't matter much.

We flew to Stevens Point, WI today, to visit Jim & Tami Burns. On the way
home, we cruised at 6500 feet, where we were able to maintain 21 inches of
manifold pressure. RPMs were set to 2300, and when leaned back our fuel
flow was 12.4 gph. Probably coulda got it lower, but our EGTs were nice
and even, less than 90 degrees apart, and everything was running nice and
smooth...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 27th 08, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
WingFlaps

On Feb 11, 12:53*pm, Ray Andraka wrote:
Congrats, You'll soon grow into it and will love it! *If you do lose the
* engine, look straight down for a landing spot, because that is about
as far as you'll get (actually about a 45 degree down cone is
reachable). *It glides about like a brick. *Don't even try to make it
back to the runway unless you have at least 1200 feet and have practiced it.

Old March 9th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

What fuel flow/EGTs do you get when you run high MP/low RPM?

Define "high MP" and "Low RPM", please.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old March 9th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven Barnes

Probably something like 24" and 2200 rpm (or some other "oversquare"
combination, which contrary to OWT may be allowed as per the POH), instead
of 22" and 2400 rpm.

Old March 9th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

How do you get 24" MP at 6500 MSL?

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

et...

Old March 9th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
How do you get 24" MP at 6500 MSL?

Jim

Why, you hook up a tube to your intake, and continuously blow into it, of
course.

I thought everyone knew that! ;-))
--
Jim in NC

Old March 10th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven Barnes

Point.

I was just giving an example of "oversquare". My Six POH tops out 6K at 23.7
inches @ 2300 RPM for 75% power. I haven't tried it yet.

Bird Dog Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 21st 07 12:41 PM
Try this bird man Greg Siemon Home Built 3 January 15th 07 03:17 PM
I Want My Own Bird Yeah_right Owning 72 October 18th 04 02:25 PM
T Bird - ZackGSD Home Built 1 December 15th 03 01:47 PM