MythBusters airplane on a conveyor belt

Old January 31st 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default MythBusters airplane on a conveyor belt

Dudley Henriques wrote:
The whole shegang is Magnus effect. It's a wonderful way to get into
wings, golf balls, curve balls...the whole magilla :-))

There have been planes and ships built that actually used the Magnus effect:

Some early aircraft:
http://www.airbornegrafix.com/Histor...otorplanes.htm

An early ship:
http://www.efluids.com/efluids/galle...rship_page.htm

Jacques Cousteau's famous "Alcyone":
http://colaco.freeshell.org/download...one_canada.jpg
Old January 31st 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Feb 1, 2:30*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
WingFlaps wrote in
:

On Jan 31, 12:34 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jan 30, 1:36 pm, Peter Clark

wrote:
For those interested in such things, the MythBusters show titled
"Airplane on a Conveyor Belt" is in TVGuide to air tonight at 9pm
Eastern US on Discovery/Discovery HD.
Yea, I had the TiVo searching for it for the last few weeks. I see
that its set to record soon (I never actually pay attention to when
a show is on anymore). I'm looking forward to it. To me the
interesting part will not be the experiment but the premise. Do
some believe that an airplane generates lift as a result of the
speed of the wheels? -Robert
I'd be interested in knowing whether they can detect the actual lift
derived from the wheels spinning as the plane lifts off...

Well, you could do it in a wind tunnel!
There was a time in the 30's when a rotating cylinder was seen as the
future of the wing. I think maybe even a few were built! I'm pretty
sure I have an old Popular aviation with a few pics of a fairly
unsucessful prototype..
But a little spinning wheel isn't going to give you much..

Bertie

Actually you can still do it.

Really? I thought there might have been a physics watershed back there
in the late ffties!

I used a spinning cylinder all the time
in my discussions on aerodynamics. It makes a perfect example when
getting into lift. A cylinder not rotating in a free stream airflow
has no lift as the stagnation points are neutral. The airstream flows
over the cylinder equally; no Bernoulli...no Newton.
Now spin the cylinder clockwise to the airstream. Walla......instant
lift! You get it all in one simple demonstration. You get upwash and
downwash. That's circulation. (Newton) You get increased local
velocity over the top of the cylinder and decreased local velocity
under it. That's Bernoulli!
The whole shegang is Magnus effect. It's a wonderful way to get into
wings, golf balls, curve balls...the whole magilla :-))

Excellent. What kind of contraption do you use to demonstrate?

You can do it nicely with a pencil, a piece of paper and elastic band.
Attach a strip of paper about 4" long and 1.5" wide at the narrow side
to the band with scotch tape. Then wind the paper around the middle of
the pencil and use the elastic band as a catapault. Get a helper to
hold one end of the band on a table, you the other end and pull the
pencil back along the table. Let the pencil go and as it flys across
the table it is also rotated fast. It leaves the table edge and
conducts one or two loops. A hex section pencil makes a nice noise
too. Only trouble is the lead gets trashed as the pencil hits the
floor ;-)

Cheers
Old January 31st 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
The whole shegang is Magnus effect. It's a wonderful way to get into
wings, golf balls, curve balls...the whole magilla :-))

There have been planes and ships built that actually used the Magnus effect:

Some early aircraft:
http://www.airbornegrafix.com/Histor...otorplanes.htm

An early ship:
http://www.efluids.com/efluids/galle...rship_page.htm

Jacques Cousteau's famous "Alcyone":
http://colaco.freeshell.org/download...one_canada.jpg

I believe the Alcyone is still being used by the Cousteau Society today.
If I recall, I think the Turbo sails are augmented by twin diesels but
do cut down the fuel costs by about 33%.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 31st 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message news:f92dnR-

I'll bet the Australians use something even better than either of us :-))

Their conveyor belts go in the opposite direction.

-c
aiee, I need a vacation.

Old January 31st 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
For those interested in such things, the MythBusters show titled
"Airplane on a Conveyor Belt" is in TVGuide to air tonight at 9pm
Eastern US on Discovery/Discovery HD.

Check out the T-shirt at Cafe Press:

http://www.kottke.org/08/01/mythbust...-conveyor-belt
http://www.cafepress.com/planetakesoff

Old January 31st 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

gatt wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message news:f92dnR-

I'll bet the Australians use something even better than either of us :-))

Their conveyor belts go in the opposite direction.

-c
aiee, I need a vacation.

...and their airplanes fly upside down too :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 31st 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Kloudy wrote:
Cheers

hangonaminnit.

Maybe I'm missing what people are concerned about.

Oh never mind I've seen the entries and discussion.

Yeah, unless you can provide a counter to the propellor thrust...you's goin'
flyin'

how silly

Old February 1st 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Robert Barker" wrote:
wrote in message
..
. On Jan 30, 2:36 pm, Peter Clark
wrote:
For those interested in such things, the MythBusters show titled
"Airplane on a Conveyor Belt" is in TVGuide to air tonight at 9pm
Eastern US on Discovery/Discovery HD.

Any pilot (including the one that flew the plane on the show) and
believed they'd stand "like a brick" should fear their next BFR.

Why?

His conceptual confusion is obviously not uncommon or entirely without
cause - after all, consider the case of landing on that same treadmill and
applying the brakes. What do you think happens? Is it immediately obvious,
or do you have to spend some time thinking about it to get the resulting
motion correct?
Old February 1st 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Dudley Henriques wrote:
gatt wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message news:f92dnR-

I'll bet the Australians use something even better than either of
us :-))

Their conveyor belts go in the opposite direction.

-c
aiee, I need a vacation.

..and their airplanes fly upside down too :-))

They'd say you're entitled to your point of view....

Old February 1st 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

ManhattanMan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
gatt wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message news:f92dnR-

I'll bet the Australians use something even better than either of
us :-))
Their conveyor belts go in the opposite direction.

-c
aiee, I need a vacation.

..and their airplanes fly upside down too :-))

They'd say you're entitled to your point of view....

It IS amazing when one stops to actually visualize it; the round globe;
the other side of it; and flying in the same sky upside down relative to
each other but right side up relative to the individual localities.
It's of course obvious to us in the macro sense, but when you REALLY get
down to the micro visualization of it all................ :-))))

--
Dudley Henriques