"Must Have" Tools for Christmas

Old December 23rd 05, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default "Must Have" Tools for Christmas

Smitty Two wrote:
In article UuAqf.67976$sg5.36718@dukeread12,
"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote:

So when are ya gonna get the good stuff like Central Machinery?
Y'know, I could get hurt asking questions like that

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I really don't know anything about the hobby machines, but I've always
been curious. In many cases I'm sure I could live with some reduction of
power and precision, - at least for making airplane parts - but I'd
suffer without the automation.

When digital readouts came along, I thought we were in tall cotton. Then
we got the Bridgeport EZ traks (cnc) and we felt like we'd emerged from
the dark ages. I don't think I could dial off a bolt circle anymore, let
alone use a rotary table to make an arc. And I can't remember the last
time we rotated a rotating vise.

I don't think the machining center is going to have an advantage over
the EZ trak for making one or two parts, but it'll sure speed up
production work.

Anyway for now, I don't have room (or money) at home for a machine, so
I'll have to continue to make the 3 1/2 mile drive down to the shop when
something that can't wait til Monday needs more than a file or a hand
drill.

Hobby sized machines are not too shabby for one offs. If nothing
else it's good for keeping one's "feel." There's nothing they can do
that a full sized lathe can't do as well if not better. I sure wouldn't
use a home lathe to get four place precision. As for space I have mine
on a roll away cart.

I have tried CNC, it's really nice for production or complex parts. I
never do the former and rarely do the latter so I am doing alright.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 25th 05, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

JIG: A home-built device designed to misalign parts as they are
fabricated.

Table saw: efficient powered tool used to convert expensive spruce into
worthless dust.

Sewing machine: another power tool used to assemble an monstorously
large section of fabric into an impossibly large section of fabric.

Drill bit: a convenient way to fill holes in metal parts, or hardwood
such as white ash landing skids. Frequently used with power drills, the
pointed end is first inserted into the hole, and then the drill is used
to snap off the appropriate length of bit.

Transport trailer: a device for rotating your aircraft, airshow
displays, or both onto their side for more difficult access. Best used
on US 36 between Joe's, Colorado and Last Chance, Colorado in
crosswinds exceeding 50 kts.

Aircraft rib steamer: a good way to use up 161 lbs. of propane gas

Wright 1902 Glider: ancient and obscure device used to separate men
from US Dollars, roommates, neighbors, romantic partners and the
generally sane. other uses include vaccum-cleaner test module, storage
obsticle, transport trailer ballast, that thing hanging on my wall
above my bed, and my sole source of income for the last 3 months of
2003.

Merry Christmas,
Harry

Old December 25th 05, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"wright1902glider" wrote

Transport trailer: a device for rotating your aircraft, airshow
displays, or both onto their side for more difficult access. Best used
on US 36 between Joe's, Colorado and Last Chance, Colorado in
crosswinds exceeding 50 kts.

You didn't!!! Oh, you did?

That must have been a real (bad) experience. Mind sharing the story?
--
Jim in NC
Old December 25th 05, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:02:34 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article UuAqf.67976$sg5.36718@dukeread12,
"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote:

So when are ya gonna get the good stuff like Central Machinery?
Y'know, I could get hurt asking questions like that

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I really don't know anything about the hobby machines, but I've always
been curious. In many cases I'm sure I could live with some reduction of
power and precision, - at least for making airplane parts - but I'd
suffer without the automation.

When I studied that stuff we didn't have automation. No CNC, it was
set it up and one cut at a time, unless you had a turret and then you
*might* do up to 4 or 5. :-))

From what I've seen, for a "one off part, or even a couple, it was far
faster than setting up a CNC machine.

When digital readouts came along, I thought we were in tall cotton. Then
we got the Bridgeport EZ traks (cnc) and we felt like we'd emerged from
the dark ages. I don't think I could dial off a bolt circle anymore, let
alone use a rotary table to make an arc. And I can't remember the last
time we rotated a rotating vise.

The rotation isn't all that difficult, but cutting an arc with a
continuously varying radius is something else

I don't think the machining center is going to have an advantage over
the EZ trak for making one or two parts, but it'll sure speed up
production work.

That's where they really shine.

Anyway for now, I don't have room (or money) at home for a machine, so
I'll have to continue to make the 3 1/2 mile drive down to the shop when
something that can't wait til Monday needs more than a file or a hand
drill.

At least you have access to a shop. When I worked as a technician oh
so many years ago before going back to college (after 26 years) I
could us all the tools in the shop and I could get scrap metal from
the junk pile.

After going back to school I didn't have access to the shop, but I
also worked nearly 7 years with only 3 days off. I still managed to
fly abut 130 years, but the other stuff was put off until retirement.

I had the order made out to get both a precision lathe with a 50 some
inch bed and a good floor mill. I should have sent it right away as
the stock market tanked about two days before I was going to send it.
I was also set to purchase a new K1A5, 300 HP IO-540 Lycoming an one
of the custom shops was going to redo it for me. Unfortunately....
I now have a core in good shape to rebuild though :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old December 26th 05, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Roger Halstead wrote:
I should have sent it right away as the stock market tanked about two days before

Shsh... I know what you mean Roger, I lost many of my dreams, along
with my savings when all that mess took place.

The Monk

Old December 26th 05, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article ,
Roger wrote:

When I studied that stuff we didn't have automation. No CNC, it was
set it up and one cut at a time, unless you had a turret and then you
*might* do up to 4 or 5. :-))

From what I've seen, for a "one off part, or even a couple, it was far
faster than setting up a CNC machine.

Did you have to whittle your own cutting tools, out of stone?

For milling, I've found the the Bridgeport EZ traks to be excellent for
one or two parts. There's really no "set-up" involved. In a few seconds
you can program the machine to make a hole pattern (It will do the math
for you,) mill a circle or a rectangle, or whatever.
Old December 27th 05, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jim,

Yep, it went over on its left side. I was only about a mile outside of
Byers, CO and the safety of a parking lot big enough to turn the beast
into the wind (it'll take over 120mph into he wind), but I had to turn
broadside to the wind to get there. There was no other shelter, the
squall was moving in... not too many options. Fortunately damage was
limited to the upper left corner sheet metal, the left hub dust cap,
the bolt-on fender, and the trailer coupler. Less than 3 minutes after
she went over, t was surrounded by no less than 3 cowboys, 2 farmers, a
trucker, and a cop. Where all of these folks came from, I'll never
know. Highway 36 just isn't that busy. But they were there, thank God.
Four of us lifted the trailer back onto its wheels (it weighs less than
600lbs. i'm guessing). One of the cowboys produced a 3lb. sledge from
his dually, gave the coupler a few good whacks, and restored my rig to
limp-into-town condition. I found a replacement coupler at a 24-hr
walmart in Denver, and was back on the road 4 hours later. Fortunately,
Byers is only about an hour from where I'm living now. When i finally
got the trailer door open, I was amazed to find everything still in its
place! No damage to the glider or show equipment at all!

The trailer is sealed up and tied down for the winter. It'll need
repairs and a good weight-balance check before its roadworthy again. I
was surprised to find its about 500 lbs. lighter than I had estimated.

Old December 27th 05, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:09:05 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Roger wrote:

When I studied that stuff we didn't have automation. No CNC, it was
set it up and one cut at a time, unless you had a turret and then you
*might* do up to 4 or 5. :-))

From what I've seen, for a "one off part, or even a couple, it was far
faster than setting up a CNC machine.

Did you have to whittle your own cutting tools, out of stone?

It hasn't been all that long ago, BUT one test was to give you a file
and a chunk of metal. You were expected to make a sold cube using
nothing what you had been given. I've forgotten the tollerances, but
it was only a few thousandths.

In one class we ended up making our own files.
I was going to say we didn't use stone, but we did for sharpening.

For milling, I've found the the Bridgeport EZ traks to be excellent for
one or two parts. There's really no "set-up" involved. In a few seconds
you can program the machine to make a hole pattern (It will do the math
for you,) mill a circle or a rectangle, or whatever.

I'm looking for one of those as there were a couple of machine shops
that went out of business within 30 miles of here.

Old December 27th 05, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Morgans" wrote)
You know, if it was me having to haul such a light trailer, with such a
high
wind profile, I would consider putting a layer of 4" concrete block on the
floor, with a layer of plywood on top to make a new floor. That would do
wonders to lower the C of G, and make it much more pleasant to pull in all
wind conditions, and corner better. I'll bet a little load on the springs
would make it bounce and shake the load a lot less, also.

I had one of those as a kid in the early 70's. It had a home out in the
garage.

....we called it a rock tumbler.

http://www.rocktumblinghobby.com/

Montblack :-)

Old December 27th 05, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"wright1902glider" wrote

Yep, it went over on its left side. I was only about a mile outside of
Byers, CO and the safety of a parking lot big enough to turn the beast
into the wind (it'll take over 120mph into he wind), but I had to turn
broadside to the wind to get there.

Four of us lifted the trailer back onto its wheels (it weighs less than
600lbs. i'm guessing).

You know, if it was me having to haul such a light trailer, with such a high
wind profile, I would consider putting a layer of 4" concrete block on the
floor, with a layer of plywood on top to make a new floor. That would do
wonders to lower the C of G, and make it much more pleasant to pull in all
wind conditions, and corner better. I'll bet a little load on the springs
would make it bounce and shake the load a lot less, also.

Glad everything turned out fairly well, anyway.
--
Jim in NC