Instrument Check Ride - What navigation equipment can I use ?

Old November 30th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim M

Default Instrument Check Ride - What navigation equipment can I use ?

Jim Carter wrote:
Mxsmanic stuff snipped

That's the point: in your estimation. If we've bred a generation of
pilots that can't or won't fly IFR without an autopilot then why not
just fly commercial and have a drink?

Don't worry, he's not part of any generation of pilots. He doesn't
fly, with or without an A/P, and has no intention of ever doing so.

Old November 30th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Jim,

check ride should test the student's ability to handle emergency
situations.

Using an autopilot might be a good way to handle an emergency.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 30th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Jim,

It is a whole lot easier to learn how to use an autopilot than to learn
how to manage the cockpit workload after it breaks in the soup. That's
my only point.

A good one, too.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 30th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

... same reason it's legal to depart below takeoff minimums if part 91. It's not necessarily a good idea, but shouldn't be regulatorily mandated.

I have never figured that one out, especially when uninformed, innocent passengers are involved.

All things carry risk. It is up to the pilot in command to decide
whether the risk is worth the benefit.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old December 1st 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old December 1st 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Jim,

check ride should test the student's ability to handle emergency
situations.

Using an autopilot might be a good way to handle an emergency.

The examiner even suggested I could use the autopilot to
fly my partial panel approach.
Old December 1st 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

: ... same reason it's legal to depart below takeoff minimums if part 91. It's not necessarily a good idea, but shouldn't be regulatorily mandated.
:
:
: I have never figured that one out, especially when uninformed, innocent passengers are involved.

: All things carry risk. It is up to the pilot in command to decide
: whether the risk is worth the benefit.

Exactly. There are situations where taking off below minimums is a
much more minimal risk than other normal operations (Airport fogged in and clear VFR 2
miles away vs. night flight).

Commercial ops have higher standards and more restrictions because there are
more passengers involved, they generally do not personally *know* the pilot and
whether they're responsible, and quite simply that the profit motive skews the
"risk/benefit" ratio.

I suspect we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but I stand by my
statement that you cannot legislate safety.... what's safe isn't always legal and
what's legal isn't always safe.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old December 1st 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

I suspect we'll have to agree to disagree on this one

I think we agree rather than disagree. We might have to agree to
together disagree with somebody else though.

Jose
Old December 1st 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Jose wrote:
... same reason it's legal to depart below takeoff minimums if
part 91. It's not necessarily a good idea, but shouldn't be
regulatorily mandated.

I have never figured that one out, especially when uninformed,
innocent passengers are involved.

All things carry risk. It is up to the pilot in command to decide
whether the risk is worth the benefit.

Jose

That is the cool aid that AOPA keeps selling. Unknowing passengers
deserve better.