PSA: Don't be rude on the radio

Old May 10th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default PSA: Don't be rude on the radio

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 10, 11:49 am, Jose wrote:
Maybe it would make more sense to announce position in minutes from
touchdown rather than miles.

That presumes you aren't trying to actually find him in the sky.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no

Good point.

No, it isn't. It's outright blather.

Old May 10th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Steven P. McNicoll" swrote)
If you're able to run from a shark you're on land and there's no need to
run at all.

Let alone searching for a shark's ass, to kick.

They must have one. Otherwise they'd just eat all day and night and keep
getting bigger and bigger wouldn't they? :-))

Only if they were also drinking beer.

Old May 10th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Don't be rude on the radio

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"buttman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 10, 10:20 am, "Peter Dohm" wrote:

Lemme get this straight! You are in instructor, which means you are
instrument rated, which means that you should know that outer markers
are
typically at least five miles from the landing zone--so, if you can not
recall for a specific airport, you can still guess five miles. In
addition,
you did not bother to maintain familiarity with the procedures at an
airport
where you typically instruct, you failed to understant that the Cirrus
had
travelled a substantial (probably between a third and a half) of the
distance to the runway, and then you turned in front of known traffic
which
you did not see.

First off, I never said I did nothing wrong. I know I made a mistake
by turning in front of him. We all make mistakes, whether you're an
instructor or not. THE WHOLE POINT of the post was that the Cirrus guy
had to act like a pumpus ass.

Sounds like a typical childish response (ie, making excuses).

The only pompous ass here is yourself.
--
Matt Barrow
Performace Homes, LLC.

I try and avoid this guy unless he posts on the student group where I have
an interest from an instructor's point of view. Over here it's every man for
himself and I try to avoid taking him on.
Last time we "got together", was fairly recently when he posted on the
student group about yanking the fuel to shutoff on takeoff with "his
student" and wanted to know if it was a good idea :-)
I believe after my answer to him on this "little issue" that he now refers
to me as a "Usenet bully".
I'd be very interested in actually seeing his CFI certificate number and
knowing his real name for checkup with the FAA. I find it extremely
difficult from his dialog and points of view to envision him as a CFI, but
stranger things have happened I guess :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old May 10th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Steven P. McNicoll" swrote)
If you're able to run from a shark you're on land and there's no need
to run at all.

Let alone searching for a shark's ass, to kick.

They must have one. Otherwise they'd just eat all day and night and keep
getting bigger and bigger wouldn't they? :-))

Only if they were also drinking beer.

A study below in reverse logic :-))

These poor sharks really take a beating from us humans. I was just reading
the other day that in Australia, at least one expert says to punch them in
the nose when they get too close. You'd think that after being punched in
the nose and kicked in the butt, the stupid things would know enough to
leave us humans alone......but NO!! They just keep on eating more of us
every year. :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old May 10th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Allen" wrote in message

FINAL APPROACH -- IFR. The flight path of an aircraft which is
inbound to an airport on a final instrument approach course, beginning
at the final approach fix or point and extending to the airport or the
point where a circle-to-land maneuver or missed approach is executed."

From that definition, "final approach" would be from the marker

inbound on an ILS, or wherever the arriving traffic happens to get
lined up with the final approach course...

So you are saying that 10 miles is where final approach begins? The AIM
says you should complete your turn to final at least 1/4 mile from the
runway; it does not specify a maximum distance.

The ILS approach at McMinnville, Oregon (KMMV) is pretty typical and the
FAF-to-MAP distance indicated on the approach plate is 5.1 miles.

(Couldn't resist; I've had the approach plate tacked the the wall next to my
monitor for weeks now for no reason I can remember.)
-c

Old May 10th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Last time we "got together", was fairly recently when he posted on the
student group about yanking the fuel to shutoff on takeoff with "his
student" and wanted to know if it was a good idea :-)

Now everything makes a little more sense.

Thanks for pointing out the history.

Old May 10th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

These poor sharks really take a beating from us humans. I was just reading
the other day that in Australia, at least one expert says to punch them in
the nose when they get too close.

Hey, Dudley, I heard that too. When I was a kid I knew a guy who had been a
surfer-bum in San Diego. He told me that the sharks would chase the
surfboard and if they got too close you'd just kick 'em in the nose.
Except, one time in doing so he fell off the board and ended up more or less
kicking the shark in the mouth and then ending up in the water with it.

Strangest thing....he gave up surfing, moved to Denver and took up
skydiving. : (Seriously.)

-c

Old May 10th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
I had two recent situations where other pilots thought they'd be cool
by being condescending jackasses over the radio, which effected my
ability to teach my student.

I can't comment too much on your experiences, but I will say this:
I've heard more rude and improper radio talk in the last two years
than I had in the previous ten. The rudeness that has invaded our
society is starting to penetrate the cockpit environment, and *that*
is a shame.

It's because we're all getting older (Baby Boom Generation) and we're
becoming Grumpy Old Men... Of course, we also have to balance this with
being Dirty Old Men In Training...

Old May 10th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:29:04 -0500, "Allen"
wrote in :

Which does nothing to define what "final approach" is. If you are aligned
with the runway and intending to land does final begin 5 miles from the
threshold? 10 miles? 15 miles? 50 miles?

http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/PCG/F.HTM
FINAL APPROACH [ICAO]- That part of an instrument approach
procedure which commences at the specified final approach fix or
point, or where such a fix or point is not specified.

a. At the end of the last procedure turn, base turn or inbound
turn of a racetrack procedure, if specified; or

b. At the point of interception of the last track specified in the
approach procedure; and ends at a point in the vicinity of an
aerodrome from which:

1. A landing can be made; or

2. A missed approach procedure is initiated.

FINAL APPROACH COURSE- A bearing/radial/track of an instrument
approach leading to a runway or an extended runway centerline all
without regard to distance.

FINAL APPROACH FIX- The fix from which the final approach (IFR) to
an airport is executed and which identifies the beginning of the
final approach segment. It is designated on Government charts by
the Maltese Cross symbol for nonprecision approaches and the
lightning bolt symbol for precision approaches; or when ATC
directs a lower-than-published glideslope/path intercept altitude,
it is the resultant actual point of the glideslope/path intercept.

Old Radio Clint Soaring 0 January 17th 06 11:01 AM
Talk About A Rude Company, NW_PILOT Owning 48 December 25th 04 10:51 PM
Talk About A Rude Company, NW_PILOT Piloting 44 December 24th 04 03:30 AM
Have you been to an airport where the people in the tower are consitently rude? LowApproach_SoCal Piloting 15 August 23rd 04 04:19 AM
FA OLD AIRCRAFT RADIO TRANSMITTER STANDARD RADIO Ron Restoration 0 October 26th 03 12:02 AM