10,500 feet is way the heck up there!

Old October 15th 03, 09:37 AM
Stefan

Dylan Smith wrote:

At the club I tow for now, things aren't nearly as hectic and we also have
a winch, so I just enjoy the view and make an unhurried power descent.

Don't the glider pilots hate you for this? Or are the paying for tow
altitude rather than tow time? But then the club would hate you...

Stefan
Old October 15th 03, 01:09 PM
mike regish

Ascending while holding your breath (a breath taken from a tank at a deeper
level) won't cause the bends. It will burst your lungs-or something to that
affect- as the enclosed air in your lungs expands under decreasing pressure.
If you take your breath and hold it a tthe surface, descend and then ascend,
there is no problem with that as your lungs are at capacity at the surface
already.

mike regish

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"John E. Carty" wrote in message
.. .
The trip back up is where you need to go slowly or risk the bends.
Won't happen in a free dive. This is a result of taking a breath from

some
depth (as little as 4 feet down) and then not exhaling when returning to

the
surface

The "bends" result solely from too rapid an ascent, whereas holding your
breath is a problem no matter how slowly you ascend. The two are both
dangerous, but are not the same thing.

Otherwise, your point is accurate as far as I know.

Pete

Old October 15th 03, 01:12 PM
mike regish

Must not have been clearing his ears on the way up or down. If you clear
your ears, there will be no unequal pressure on either side to cause any
damage whatsoever. That's what the eustacian tube is there for.

mike regish

"Mike O'Malley" wrote in message
om...

Two, a friend of mine used to fly jumpers in a King Air. Surface to
14,000 and back in about 10 minutes, most of it in a climb. He had to
be going down over 6000 fpm. After a few hundered hours of that, his
ear drums had so much scar tissue on them that they wouldn't 'seal'
enough to cause pain. Don't know how true it was, but that's what he
told me, only way I can think of he could manage to do that day after
day.

--
Mike

Old October 15th 03, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

That was through a window?

Yep. Photoshop does a good job of taking away that "Plexiglass haze" look,
no?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 15th 03, 02:29 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dylan Smith wrote:

If you're coming down because you need to come down without letting the
CHTs get too low, you can always spiral (that's what we did when towing
gliders behind a Pawnee).

I only had to do that once. Actually, I don't run into very many cases where I
need to descend a lot since they set up the DC ADIZ. I used to sometimes shoot
over the top of the class-B coming back from points south. Now, I take the low
road.

George Patterson
A woman's perfect breakfast occurs when she's sitting at the table sipping
gourmet coffee while looking at pictures of her son on the cover of Sports
Illustrated, her daughter on the cover of Business Week, her boyfriend on
the cover of Playgirl, and her husband on the back of the milk carton.
Old October 15th 03, 02:34 PM
Jay Honeck

With hundreds of hours in the air over
the last nine years, my kids are old pros that only rarely look out the
windows anymore.

That's just because they can't see anything but sky with that wing in the

way.

Nah. It's kinda sad, but I suppose it's like eating ice cream at every
meal. Pretty soon even ice cream would get boring...

They perk up when I let 'em sit in the front seat -- but getting Mary to
relinquish the co-pilot's spot ain't easy!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 15th 03, 02:37 PM
Jay Honeck

This picture I took over Phoenix 2 weeks ago at 12,500 ft, we flew over
the
Phoenix class B and started our decent about 20 miles out at 500 fpm on

the far
side of Phoenix..
http://216.158.136.206/newplane/phoenix.jpg

There is allot less color to see on this side of the country.
We use an the Olympus E-10 digital camera for pictures.

One thing I've found makes a HUGE difference with digital photography is to
NOT get the wing in the picture. My digital autofocus usually locks onto the
wing, and makes everything else in the background (which is what you're
aiming at!) look fuzzy.

Also, Photoshop does a much better job of adjusting color, brightness and
contrast if you don't have a big, white wing in the picture.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 15th 03, 02:53 PM
Mike Rapoport

Actually I hike up. No cheating be me!

Mike
MU-2

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:04:38 GMT, Mike Rapoport

wrote:
Well, the hill behind my house in NV is over 10,600'...

Ah, but you cheat. You have turbines and pressurization :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old October 15th 03, 04:49 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
One thing I've found makes a HUGE difference with digital photography is

NOT get the wing in the picture.

Actually, that's not a "digital photography" thing. There are a number of
digital cameras that won't have that problem, and a number of film cameras
that will. It all depends on how the autofocus works, and how you use the
camera.

Pete