Speaking of Vision -- How 'bout Progressive Bifocals?

Old June 3rd 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Speaking of Vision -- How 'bout Progressive Bifocals?

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
The lower part of my bifocals do not go all the way to the edge of either
lens. If I'm looking down and left (out the pilots window), I end up
looking through the distance prescription to the left of each reading
window. Still have distance, 3D vision of the ground below me.

Yep, that's true, too.

I have good uncorrected distance vision, so sometimes I peek out from under
the frame of my glasses, too. g
--
Jim in NC

Old June 3rd 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

I have been forced to face the fact that I can no longer read a
sectional chart with my current glasses. It's been getting worse for
some time, but lately I've realized that it has become downright
dangerous. (Moreso driving a car, actually.)

So, it was off to the eye doctor, who said I would definitely benefit
from progressive (the ones with no lines in the glass) bifocals. When
I asked her about flying, she said that they would be excellent for
viewing the panel (one distance) *and* the charts (another, closer,
distance).

So, I ordered them.

Now, of course, I've talked to a pilot friend who tells me that
progressives totally suck, and will make me nauseous in the plane,
thanks to the eternally variable prescription!

So, what's the verdict from my fellow "old farts" on this group? Do
you guys wear "progressives"? Or do you prefer the "lined" bifocals?
LensCrafters has a 30 day money-back guarantee (I don't actually have
them, yet), so I can change my mind.

I got my progressives about 4 years ago at age 42. I think they are
better than conventional bifocals, but they are still a pain. The sweet
spot for near vision is fairly small and you have to move your head a
lot to read and keep things in focus. I tend to often just hold things
closer and look over top of my glasses...

I've never had any issue with nausea. I did have a little trouble at
first stepping onto and off curbs and climbing or descending stairs, but
the brain acclimated to the new sight picture pretty quickly.

I'd say to not take them back too soon. Use the full 30 days before
making your decision as it will likely take a couple of weeks to get
reasonably functional with them. I'd prefer not to have progressives,
but at some point we really have little choice. I'm still contemplating
LASIK as another poster here mentioned recently, but I've had a number
doctors tell me that people may regret that surgery once they get into
their late 60s and beyond. I'm not really sure why, but something about
causing the eye to lose accomodation even faster than without the
surgery. However, most people I know who have had LASIK are very happy
with the results, but then none are pilots and all have less than 5
years on their "new" eyes.

Matt
Old June 3rd 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Casey Wilson wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I had a pair of progressives -- operative word=had. I didn't like them
for any purpose from planting seeds in the garden to driving and flying.
On the other hand, I have a pal who swears by them. I accused him of not
wanting to admit he screwed up when he bought them which made his resolve
even stronger.
Take a couple weeks of your 30-day trial and try them.

Did you replace them with conventional bifocals or go back to single
prescription lenses and just deal with the near vision loss?

Matt
Old June 3rd 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dr Ian Whitmore wrote:

I have been flying with Varifocals (as we call them in the UK) for
more than 10 years. They never make me nauseous. I have asked my
optometrist to supply lenses with the widest area in focus(side to
side). I was warned that one of the problems was getting used to the
peripheral vision being in softer focus than with lines type bifocals.

In the UK the CAA discourages the use of varifocals because of the
peripheral vision difference.

You make a good point. I didn't fully understand how progressives
worked when I first got mine. I thought the entire bottom of the lens
would be the near prescription and the top the far prescription and a
blending in between. Turns out, mine are more like a circular variation
with the bottom sliced off. The bottom center of my lenses are the
near prescription, but the left and right side of the bottom part of the
lenses is nearly the same as the far prescription on top. Maybe this is
done to facilitate better distance peripheral vision, but it sure means
a lot more head motion to keep things in focus in the 12-24" range.

Matt
Old June 3rd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

So, what's the verdict from my fellow "old farts" on this group? Do
you guys wear "progressives"?

Dunno...cuz I'm not an old fart yet. :-) My day will come though.

Like Steve said, get it fixed before OSH or Mary goes for #2. Heck, she
deserves a simple approach after last year.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 3rd 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Believe it or not, you can get glasses with the strong (close) part of the
lens at the bottom, (like regular bifocals) and the top, for just such
work. There is a name for them, but I've got CRS syndrome, at the moment.

My A&P just flips his glasses upside down, when he's working under the
panel.

He looks silly, but it works for him!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 3rd 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Like Steve said, get it fixed before OSH or Mary goes for #2. Heck, she
deserves a simple approach after last year.

Well, I'll have 'em in a day or two. We'll see how they go.

I'm flying in to OSH this year, come hell or high water. I can't let Mary
have all the fun two years in a row!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 3rd 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have them, they work fine although the word is to have smaller frames so
the progressive involves less eye travel than having owl type lenses. It
does take a few days to get used to them but still with them and see.
oups.com...

Old June 3rd 06, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This old fart has been wearing prog. bifocals for about 5 years now.
At first they were very disorienting. After a few flights and after figuring
out the head motions required when wearing them, I now belong to the "I
won't fly without 'em" crowd.
__________________
Socata TB-20 Trinidad

Old June 3rd 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2 Jun 2006 14:59:49 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

So, it was off to the eye doctor, who said I would definitely benefit
from progressive (the ones with no lines in the glass) bifocals.

I assume you mean progressive glasses, since I've been told it's no
longer possible to get a progressive bifocal section, at least not in
plastic.

Progressive lenses are great if you need them. If you wear glasses as
a youth, you'll need bifocals in middle age, and you'll need "computer
glasses" when you're old. (I have bifocal everyday glasses in which
the bifocal section is set for 14-18 inches out. I'm using them at the
computer now. I also have bifocal reading glasses, in which the top is
for the computer and the bottom for reading.)

If it's just to get rid of the line, that's a vanity issue. For me,
the great thing about progressive lenses or sections was that it
enabled me to see clearly not only at reading distance but also at
computer/dashboard distance.

In fact, I first got progressive lenses when I began taking flying
lessons. It was just too embarrassing to keep asking the instructor
which instrument on the panel was the altimeter.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com