Winter Flying

Old December 24th 04, 03:15 AM
Mike Rapoport

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message
All this an only a little over 600,00 people in the entire state.

PJ

600,000 in the winter but close to 2,000,000 in the summer!

Mike
MU-2

Old December 24th 04, 01:25 PM
steve.t

Well, I can tell you from personal experience that at 6500 MSL, at
80Knots in a climb it flys like a pig with light rime. So with the same
thing on the ground, I'm not too inspired to put 3 passengers and me
into it and depart. And that's with 5K of runway.

Old pilots, bold pilots. No old bold pilots. And I don't know enough to
be a test pilot.

Later,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Old December 24th 04, 09:07 PM
Roger

On 24 Dec 2004 05:25:47 -0800, "steve.t"
wrote:

Well, I can tell you from personal experience that at 6500 MSL, at
80Knots in a climb it flys like a pig with light rime. So with the same
thing on the ground, I'm not too inspired to put 3 passengers and me
into it and depart. And that's with 5K of runway.

You don't even want frost on the wings. Clean it off first.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old December 25th 04, 12:43 AM
David CL Francis

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 at 22:26:44 in message ,
PJ Hunt wrote:
We're the furthest North and the furthest Western state with more coastline
that the entire lower 48 combined, about 3 times the size of Texas and if
Alaska was placed on top of the lower 48 it would just about cover from the
west coast to the east coast. We have something along the lines of 3
million lakes, and 7000 river systems and Mt McKinley (Denali) at 20,320
feet. Denali park alone is over 6 Million acres.

According to the Times World Atlas (it just happened to be handy!):

USA 3,614,170 sq miles 100%
Alaska 570,680 sq miles 15.79%
Texas 261,950 sq miles 7.25%
California 156,260 sq miles 4,32%
Montana 145,350 sq miles 4.02%
New Mexico 121,300 sq miles 3.36%

Alaska is VERY BIG but not quite that big. Equivalent to Texas,
California and Montana combined.

I don't think there is any standard way of measuring coastlines? I
presume your 'coverage' includes the long line of the Aleutian Islands?
--
David CL Francis
Old December 25th 04, 12:50 AM
Jürgen Exner

David CL Francis wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 at 22:26:44 in message ,
According to the Times World Atlas (it just happened to be handy!):

USA 3,614,170 sq miles 100%
Alaska 570,680 sq miles 15.79%
Texas 261,950 sq miles 7.25%
California 156,260 sq miles 4,32%
Montana 145,350 sq miles 4.02%
New Mexico 121,300 sq miles 3.36%

Alaska is VERY BIG but not quite that big. Equivalent to Texas,
California and Montana combined.

A friend of mine put it in a different way:
When Alaska became a state the Texans were quite 'displeased', because they
weren't the largest state any more. Luckily Alaska wasn't split in two equal
pieces, because then Texas would have been only number 3 and then the Texans
would have been really ****ed.

jue

Old December 30th 04, 03:31 PM
Blueskies

"David CL Francis" wrote in message ...
[...]

Those numbers are land mass. I saw an overlay somewhere that had the main body of AK along the eastern seaboard, and the
Aleutians swung all the way out almost to California...