Oshkosh gate admission on Sunday 24th?

Old July 2nd 05, 02:33 AM
Cy Galley

It isn't the oldsters on bikes that would be the problem. It is the
controlled, unsupervised children.

Ever see a "gator" do a wheelie? I have in the hands of a teenager that was
supposed to be working. They do supply trams that one can ride from one end
to the other.

Another solution is to volunteer in a job that uses motorbikes or gators.
--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair

"Joe Camp" wrote in message
I agree 100%! that's one of the most irratating policies the EAA has.
The distances to cover on the OSH grounds are huge. And the crowd that
attends is not getting any younger. Bikes need to be allowed and soon.
Not only do you have to walk great distances, usually you're carrying
a bunch of stuff that makes it all the more harder. Motorized bikes
should be allowed also. Like those Bumble bee bike motors sold at the
convention. I've been to other non-EAA fly-ins, and being able to use
my Dahon folding bike is wonderful. And when the only users with them
are the persons bringing folding bikes in their planes, there aren't
that many of them anyway. We've got too many old ladys controlling
EAA, that all they talk about is over conservatisim ad infinitum. I
say the heck with 'em, I'm tired of walking my ass off at the fly-in.
My back isn't what it used to be, and flying my plane there is the
easy part. Covering the grounds is another matter. Years ago, when
FAA administrator Jim Busey attended the Oshkosh convention, he
remarked that the crowd was big, but old. Well, we're even older now!
And what about when we can't walk so far? is it a wonder that
admissions are off at the fly-ins? look at Sun n Fun. The EAA needs
to get their heads out of their a__es and realize this. Quit worrying
about a harmless bicycle hitting some person or plane. There are a lot
worse dangers at a fly-in, like propellers. Danger of fire with all
the fueled planes, winds blowing aircraft around. I can't believe
with dangers like that, they worry about a bicycle. But that's what we
end up with when the EAA has all the proxy votes and has virtual
control of the whole smash, instead of the members, as they should.
Don't sign that proxy vote over to them! Maybe then, we could vote in
bicycles, and who knows what else.

Well, I hear you. But I sure wish there were some bike paths that we
could
use so that getting from my tent in the North 40 to the ultralight area in
the South 40 wasn't a 30-minute (or more) hike.

By the end of the week, none of us can bear the thought of walking down
that
far anymore, so we end up skipping huge portions of the show that I'd
really
like to see in greater detail.

It seems like a couple of "bikes/scooters only" paths, with parking areas
at
either end, would do the trick?

Old July 2nd 05, 02:48 AM
John T

I know flight line safety is one of the ones that has scooters for the
volunteers that actually go on the fight line, and flight line ops has a
few scooters for "follow me" type duties, but which jobs let you drive a
gator?

John

Old July 2nd 05, 02:58 AM
Blueskies

"Joe Camp" wrote in message ...
I agree 100%! that's one of the most irratating policies the EAA has.
The distances to cover on the OSH grounds are huge. And the crowd that
snip...
Maybe then, we could vote in
bicycles, and who knows what else.

Well, I hear you. But I sure wish there were some bike paths that we could
use so that getting from my tent in the North 40 to the ultralight area in
the South 40 wasn't a 30-minute (or more) hike.

By the end of the week, none of us can bear the thought of walking down that
far anymore, so we end up skipping huge portions of the show that I'd really
like to see in greater detail.

It seems like a couple of "bikes/scooters only" paths, with parking areas at
either end, would do the trick?

The trams work pretty well and run pretty much all day...

Old July 2nd 05, 03:10 AM
RST Engineering

If you give a forum, the forums folks have a single gator and a few golf
carts. If you are an accredited aviation writer, the press building has a
few golf carts.

Jim

Old July 2nd 05, 03:20 AM
David Odum

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Well, I hear you. But I sure wish there were some bike paths that we could
use so that getting from my tent in the North 40 to the ultralight area in
the South 40 wasn't a 30-minute (or more) hike.

By the end of the week, none of us can bear the thought of walking down that
far anymore, so we end up skipping huge portions of the show that I'd really
like to see in greater detail.

It seems like a couple of "bikes/scooters only" paths, with parking areas at
either end, would do the trick?

I feel your pain, Jay. I've done my share of schlepping around the
grounds (but starting from the south end of the field). I just don't
think a bike path is practical, and I doubt that those advocating it
here or in the RAH thread have actually given it careful
consideration. Nevertheless, I hope I am proved wrong and that a bike
path is built on the grounds some day.

It's good to know, thanks to David Zera, that bikes would likely be
permitted on the grounds prior to Sunday, July 24. In fact, based on
his information, I'll be arriving on Friday instead of Saturday.

David Odum - email: David at AirplaneZone dot com

Old July 2nd 05, 06:45 AM
Ed Sullivan

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:33:27 GMT, "Cy Galley"
wrote:

It isn't the oldsters on bikes that would be the problem. It is the
controlled, unsupervised children.

Ever see a "gator" do a wheelie? I have in the hands of a teenager that was
supposed to be working. They do supply trams that one can ride from one end
to the other.

Another solution is to volunteer in a job that uses motorbikes or gators.

The last time I was at Osh we were packing a ton of camping gear from
the show camping area to the North 40 where our other aircraft was
parked and repeatedly got run off the sidewalk by jerks in carts who
were carrying nothing and cared less.
Last time for me.

Ed Sullivan
Old July 2nd 05, 01:54 PM
Cy Galley

I believe there is a welcome wagon that does transport from plane parking to
camping.

I personally have transported people many times even out into the country
side but it only happens by co-incidence.

Did you wave and ask for help? The volunteers are friendly and like to help
people. My entire group is a service group and does stop and help if
possible.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
Air Emergency Aircraft Repair

Old July 2nd 05, 09:14 PM
David J. Zera

What are the reasons that bikes aren't allowed on the grounds? We've got
golf carts trying to kill us all day long, 7-car-trams threatening to run
up our heels, parents pulling wagons or pushing strollers, and "courtesy
cars" driving every which way -- but those of us who live in the North 40
all week can't peddle a bike to save our feet?

Jay,

I have been told that the bikes are banned due to congestion. Those rules
come from Security
not safety. I would love to be able to take my bike out as well.... I could
use the exercise

Now to address your issue about the trams and the golf carts and the fat
guys on scooters ( the scooter guy is me!!! ) ^)

Convention HQ has started to move the motorized equipment off the main drag
during the prime time. They have heard the very valid
issues about the courtesy cars and other equipment VS people and they are
trying very hard to them separate.

Ps. If you see an six foot one 270 lbs guy on a scooter in the AOA area by
the showplanes in the west ramp area keeping the kids and the props
separate say hi! that will be me.!!!

Pss... I tell ya, I love what I do out there, I do believe I make a
difference but the 12 hour days can cook you.

Dave J. Zera
Co-Chairman
Safety / Flight Line

Old July 2nd 05, 09:26 PM
David J. Zera

John,

I'll tell you the scooters are not very hard to drive. Come by and check in
at Flight Line Safety we REALLY need help these days ( a number of our guys
have gone south in the last couple of years ) we don't have gators
but we have a large number of scooters that need mature guys that are
willing to do an important job and have some fun at the same time!!!!

Dave J. Zera

Co-Chairman
Safety / Flight Line

Old July 2nd 05, 09:32 PM
David J. Zera

Did you wave and ask for help? The volunteers are friendly and like to
help
people. My entire group is a service group and does stop and help if
possible.

Cy Galley - Chair,
Air Emergency Aircraft Repair
A Service Project of Chapter 75
EAA Safety Programs Editor - TC
EAA Sport Pilot

I have to second Cy, from time to time I have taken out an Gator and if I
seen someone in need of help
I and the rest of the team would help them out. just flag us down and we
will help
you out. I have taken dozens of people to different places of the convention
at all times of the day and night.

Dave J. Zera
Co-Chairman
Safety/Flight line