Review: New book on the U2 super motorglider

Old November 14th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Review: New book on the U2 super motorglider

Rutan planes are capable of "Tail Diving". *And my favorite, Kirk, is
the dreaded "Cork-screw death spiral"

OK, enough of this silliness. :-) *Let's all buy some books, profile our
wings, and watch the OLC postings of those that are getting to soar!

Steve

I tend to associate "tail diving" with what glider pilots hope to do
on Friday nights after getting lucky (!?) in the local bar....

Back to sanding the wings, metaphorically!

Cheers,

Kirk
Old November 14th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Default Verbal Oops (was Review: New book on the U2 super motorglider)

Thanks; I'll try to remember all this the next time I'm trying to center
a thermal and a pee bottle at the same time.

At 11:36 14 November 2008, Chris Reed wrote:
Could we perhaps be precise. Average could = mean, median or mode. It
does not always mean "mean". If it's not clear from context, say

which.

By definition half of everybody is indeed dumber than average (sense,
median.

Also, by definition, it is likely that more than/less than everybody is
dumber than average (sense: median or mode).

Admittedly, mean is the commonest usage, but not the only one.

TonyV wrote:
sisu1a wrote:

Since by definition half of everybody IS dumber than average, ......

We went through this already :-). No! That is the definition of median

-

not average.

Given the (contrived) sample of 1,3,5,7,99, the average is
(1+3+5+7+99)/5 = 23. The median is 5 with half of the sample less, and

half of the sample more. Yeah, off topic, I know.

Tony V.

Old November 14th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 13, 5:50*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
On Nov 13, 2:24*pm, Martin Gregorie

wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:15:09 -0800, rlovinggood wrote:
"...400 knot per hour..."

Is that 400 nautical miles per hour squared?

Reading that is as painful as hearing fingernails on a blackboard...

For me "nose dive" is a real irritant. The blasted plane is just diving
fer chrissakes. They seldom if ever "tail dive".

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

No, they "tail spin"!!!! *After "looping the loop", of course.

Kirk
66

The "tail-spin" occurs as a result of inproper use of the rudder
"peddles" during a "flip".
Old November 14th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 13, 12:15*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Oh, now! *First off, it is heighth. *That is old-English, for those of you
who didn't take your degrees in the humanities or read much in the King
James Bible.

Interesting, thanks.

Andy
Old November 14th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Could we perhaps be precise. Average could = mean, median or mode. It
does not always mean "mean". If it's not clear from context, say which.

Now, of course, one could be referencing a statistical distribution
that is symmetrical, say the Uniform or Normal distribution... In
which case, mean=median=mode.

If you're working with sample data from an unknown population
distribution, the distinction is important and often misused and
abused in order to influence others.

Log Book Review J a c k Soaring 10 January 2nd 10 04:28 AM
book review: The Last Blue Mile Sarah[_2_] Soaring 0 June 30th 07 02:13 PM
Book Review and comments john smith Piloting 0 January 1st 05 07:12 PM
Book review, GODS OF TIN john smith Piloting 0 October 3rd 04 06:55 PM
Super Dimona Motorglider in Soaring magazine feb 2004 Mark James Boyd Soaring 11 February 16th 04 03:34 PM