EAA Beer Bash

Old May 18th 05, 07:01 AM
W P Dixon

Margy I know the feeling! Heck I retired have all kinds of time and very
little money to build and rebuild projects! The old Catch 22!!!!! The
Volksplane VP1 is coming together pretty slow in the basement, and I dream
of a decent Luscombe project!!!! And building a Thatcher CX4, and a
Sonex...ahhhhhh to work and be rich again

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

("Margy" wrote)
Poor folks, I think building would be fun, but only if I had a working
plane and time to build and fly. I guess retirement can't come soon
enough! I tell you having the Navion down for 3 years almost killed me.

Old May 18th 05, 01:11 PM
Jay Honeck

Poor folks, I think building would be fun, but only if I had a working
plane and time to build and fly. I guess retirement can't come soon
enough! I tell you having the Navion down for 3 years almost killed me.

I don't know how you did it. I trust you kept current in rental planes?

We've got friends who just finished their Glasair III last month. It's the
single most beautifully crafted airplane I've ever seen -- but it took him
TEN YEARS to build!

During that decade his wife discovered she had breast cancer, and was
thankfully able to beat it. But during that decade he spent every, single
night building, first in his home, then in his hangar. Night after night
after night...

What if that had been *him* that got cancer? He would have spent 3000
nights in an unheated hangar, by himself, and for what?

Life is just too short to use that kind of time.

Flying is life.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 18th 05, 01:32 PM
Dylan Smith

In article vhGie.3725$796.3332@attbi_s21, Jay Honeck wrote:
What if that had been *him* that got cancer? He would have spent 3000
nights in an unheated hangar, by himself, and for what?

For some people, building isn't "work", it's a major part (maybe
entirely) of the fun of the project. Those 3000 nights of building may
be the thing that kept him going. There are quite a few home builders
who spend 2000 hours building a plane, fly it for maybe a year or two,
then sell it and buy a new kit to build because they enjoy building more
than they do flying.

Life is just too short to use that kind of time.

For you - maybe, but for someone who loves the building aspect, life is
too short for *flying* because it means they spend less time *building*.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 18th 05, 02:09 PM
Jay Honeck

For you - maybe, but for someone who loves the building aspect, life is
too short for *flying* because it means they spend less time *building*.

That's just...wrong.

;-)

I'm a wood-worker, and enjoy creating and repairing things -- but flying is
so vastly superior to any other human endeavor, it's hard for me to imagine
giving up one moment of it in favor of sanding fiberglass or bucking
rivets...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 18th 05, 03:01 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 18 May 2005 12:11:07 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in vhGie.3725$796.3332@attbi_s21::

He would have spent 3000
nights in an unheated hangar, by himself, and for what?

For the sheer joy of accomplishment as a result of having constructed
a useful machine with his bare hands.

Life is just too short to use that kind of time.

That's a subjective opinion.

Flying is life.

I firmly believe the bulk of aircraft home-builders are mechanics
first, and aviators second. Certainly most of them spend more time in
the hangar than in the air.

Old May 18th 05, 03:07 PM
Grumman-581

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news8Hie.3740$WG.2930@attbi_s22...
I'm a wood-worker, and enjoy creating and repairing things -- but flying

is
so vastly superior to any other human endeavor, it's hard for me to

imagine
giving up one moment of it in favor of sanding fiberglass or bucking
rivets...

It seems to me that more people build aircraft up north than they do down
south... There's probably a couple of reasons for it... Perhaps having
winters that don't give you that many flying days might be a factor along
with having basements to do a good part of the building process in might
also be another factor...

Old May 18th 05, 03:39 PM
Jay Honeck

It seems to me that more people build aircraft up north than they do down
south... There's probably a couple of reasons for it... Perhaps having
winters that don't give you that many flying days might be a factor along
with having basements to do a good part of the building process in might
also be another factor...

Good theories.

There have been quite a number of books written about why the world's
dominant, most productive and innovative civilizations (at least in the last
several hundred years) have all been in colder climates.

I always figured it's because they had to stay busy to keep warm.

("Jeez, Fritz, it's really *cold* out today." "Brrrr....sure is,
Hans...hey, let's go conquer France!")

So, 500 years ago, these guys would've been out pillaging nearby villages.
Today, they're building RV-10s...?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 18th 05, 04:57 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:39:58 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in 2tIie.5050$z_.3694@attbi_s71::

There have been quite a number of books written about why the world's
dominant, most productive and innovative civilizations (at least in the last
several hundred years) have all been in colder climates.

The Renaissance took place in southern Europe: Italy.

Old May 18th 05, 07:57 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

For some, building is life. I like to fly, but I also like to build. I
can't wait until retirement will give me the time (with 3 kids now isn't
the time). I could build for years and derive great satisfaction from
that alone ... even if I never got to fly the result.

Matt
Old May 18th 05, 07:59 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

For you - maybe, but for someone who loves the building aspect, life is
too short for *flying* because it means they spend less time *building*.

That's just...wrong.

;-)

I'm a wood-worker, and enjoy creating and repairing things -- but flying is
so vastly superior to any other human endeavor, it's hard for me to imagine
giving up one moment of it in favor of sanding fiberglass or bucking
rivets...

Jay, Jay, Jay ... you need to expand your horizons. :-)

Matt