Jessie cashes in

Old September 3rd 03, 12:34 PM
buf3

"Phineas Pinkham" wrote in message ...
"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message

While I don't begrudge her the money, the choice of a questionable
ghost writer, released from the NYT for by-lining a story written
by a free-lancer means the whole project will be discredited.

Ed Rasimus

Sounds like jealous sour grapes to us, old boy!

Not to me.
Tom Schoene

In addition to a Pulitzer Prize, Rick Bragg, the ghost writer-
has twice won the prestigious American Society of Newspaper Editors
Distinguished Writing Award, and more than 50 writing awards in his 20-year
career. In 1992, he was awarded a Nieman Fellowship at Harvard University.
He has taught writing in colleges and in newspaper news rooms.

Sour grapes mode still on! :-)

===============
Rick Bragg's books about his grandfather (Ava'a Man) and his mother
(All Over but the Shoutin) are as good as I have read by a living
author. If he does as good a job in helping Jessica tell her story (I
Am a Soldier Too) it will be a best seller. They are splitting a
million bucks advance for the story. I predict that the book will make
each of them far more than that. He is a master story teller who can
really spin a yarn. I saw him on CSPAN, but he would not discuss the
NY Times debacle. I think he got a bum rap. The Times needs him far
worse than he needs the Times.

Gene Myers
A gimpy old pilot who reads a lot.
Old September 3rd 03, 01:20 PM
Phineas Pinkham

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
(ArtKramr) wrote:

WAIT TILL THE FILM RIGHTS HIT. THEN THERE WILL BE TV SERIALIZATION. AND

DOLLS
ETC. THIS IS A $10 MILLION DEAL.

Just when you had me convinced that your sense of humor had
gone AWOL -- you go and post this. -Mike (yee haw!) Marron

No wonder Rasimus is foaming at the mouth!
He isn't checked out in Choppers, so no part in the movie.
Kramer has it nailed, he can be her Grandfather.

Old September 3rd 03, 01:42 PM
The Raven

"John S. Shinal" wrote in message
"Bill Silvey" wrote:

Ed has Been There and Done That, and most assuredly Has The Teeshirt.

Stole the hubcaps off The Elephant, too.

Lynch has as well but under a different paradigm altogether.

I'm not so sure this is all that big a deal. She's got a story
for greater or lesser, she's certain to be discharged on medical
grounds eventually, no big deal to make a little for her retirement.
This will be light reading, not scholarly stuff.

She's already received an honourable discharge. Was reported in the last
48hours.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old September 3rd 03, 02:39 PM
Bill Silvey

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

March Up" by Bing West and Ray Smith.

I apologize for the off-topicness of this reply but I initially read that as
Bing Crosby and Mae West!

God I've got to take a nap.

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.

Old September 3rd 03, 03:33 PM
Ed Rasimus

Cub Driver wrote:

Now much did you get for "When Thunder Rolled"? Had to be what 2-3 million

Smithsonian Institution Press regards itself as a university press.
You do it for the honor of the thing.

Say Jessie's book sells for $24.95, and so does Ed's, and say that
they both get 10 percent royalties on the first 5,000 copies. (Jessie
may in fact do better than that.) Sounds like even money, huh? If only
it were so!

Knopf does the math this way: 10 percent of $24.95 is $2.495 per book.

SIP as a higher-math university press figures: okay, we had to give up
50 percent to the distributor, so we got $12.475 per book times 10
percent to the author is $1.2475 per book, or half as much.

I majored in guvmint, so it took me years to figure that out.

all the best -- Dan Ford

I notice that your excellent work on the AVG is showing in the Fall
'03 Catalog of Smithsonian as a past catalog, "Best Seller"--still in
print, still available, still a good read.

See, stop your belly-achin, the money keeps dribblin' in.

But, for the uninitiated, you've concisely spelled out the royalties
equation. Most folks are surprised.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038
Old September 3rd 03, 04:09 PM
Mike Marron

"Phineas Pinkham" wrote:

No wonder Rasimus is foaming at the mouth!
He isn't checked out in Choppers, so no part in the movie.

I grew up witnessing the enviable dynamics that goes on
when a woman is in the presence of a decorated fighter pilot...

-Mike (she foams at the mouth, not him) Marron

Old September 3rd 03, 04:22 PM
John Hairell

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:33:47 GMT, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

Cub Driver wrote:

[...]

I know several people who write aviation history books. All but one
have day jobs that pay real wages. You almost have to be a writing
machine to make even a meager living from writing aviation history
books or magazine articles. The press run for these books may not be
very large, and it can be disheartening for an author to see their
quarterly or semi-annual sales figures - some of these books sell far
less than 100 copies per quarter.

It might as well be a hobby for many of these authors - the amount of
time spent researching a subject, dealing with archives, and tracking
down people/documents/photographs (much less finding a publisher)
costs much more than what the resultant book will ever repay for.

John Hairell )
Old September 3rd 03, 05:15 PM
Mike Marron

Phineas Pinkham wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

I grew up witnessing the enviable dynamics that goes on
when a woman is in the presence of a decorated fighter pilot...

-Mike (she foams at the mouth, not him) Marron

:30 minutes on 100% Oxygen
A Coke
A cigarette
then throw up! :-)

Yep, but that was then, this is NOW:

30-minute "wellness" lecture on the evils of consuming alcohol...
A Perrier...
Another 30-minute "wellness" lecture on the evils of smoking...
Then throw up!

-Mike Marron

Old September 3rd 03, 06:09 PM
Billy Beck

"Phineas Pinkham" wrote:

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message

While I don't begrudge her the money, the choice of a questionable
ghost writer, released from the NYT for by-lining a story written
by a free-lancer means the whole project will be discredited.

Ed Rasimus

Sounds like jealous sour grapes to us, old boy!

Not to me.

In addition to a Pulitzer Prize, Rick Bragg, the ghost writer-
has twice won the prestigious American Society of Newspaper Editors
Distinguished Writing Award, and more than 50 writing awards in his 20-year
career.

And Walter Duranty won a Pulitzer for lying in Stalin's service
in the New York Times. What's your point?

Can you say "ex cathedra"?

Billy

http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php
Old September 3rd 03, 06:39 PM
Phineas Pinkham

My point is there is no need to characterize Rick Bragg as a "questionable"
ghost writer.

"ex cathedra" by whose pronouncement?

Can you say mea culpa?

Billy Beck wrote in message Can you say "ex cathedra"?

Billy