RIP Cessna...Skycatcher

Old November 29th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default RIP Cessna...Skycatcher

On 2007-11-28 13:37:55 -0800, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com said:

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
.. .
The are going to regret not building these in the US if the $ continues
its downward spiral.

Mike Schumann

The Chinese money (the Yian or something?) is tied to the price of the US
dollar so even if the dollar falls the percentage doesn't change. That is
actually something that is a matter of contention with other countries at
the moment.

After much pressure by the United States, as of July 21, 2005 the yuan
was no longer directly tied to the dollar, although it is not quite
free-floating, either. The yuan has been rising against the dollar of
late, although it was down slightly today.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 29th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-11-28 09:52:52 -0800, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com said:

Building it in China, OH JOY! I would think this would be a negative.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._196672-1.html

Cessna

has chosen the Chinese-government owned Shenyang Aircraft Corp. to
build the Model 162 Skycatcher.

No doubt it will have lead-based paint and the composites will be made
of toxic waste. It should be a real hit.

Old November 29th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Sleeman

Come on people, usually I give pilots some accepted base line of
intelligence and reasoning, but it seems it's largely gone out the
window on this one. Chinese manufacturers of CONSUMER products have
had more than thier fair share of problems to be sure, but it's a hell
of a stretch to compare consumer products with aircraft manufacture.

Do you honestly think that CESSNA is going to stake thier name,
reputation, and conceivably risk the entire business by going with an
aircraft manufacturer who would produce shoddy unreliable or dangerous
aircraft?!

More so, do you honestly think that either Cessna OR your country's
respective aviation authorities are going to let obviously shoddy
unreliable or dangerous aircraft get anywhere near the hands of Joe
Bloggs the pilot?!

Please, at least show some common sense here.

Cessna have obviously done thier homework, they have weighed the pros
and cons, and at the end of the day, the most effective solution
presented itself.

To decry the aircraft on the sole fact that it will be constructed in
China simply smacks of xenophobia. If you have a criticism of the
aircraft, at least make it something worth criticising!
Old November 29th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 28, 3:05 pm, john smith wrote:
According to this mornings WSJ, Cessna's Pelton is quoted as saying that
by building the Skycatcher in China, the cost is $71k less than it would
cost to build in the USA.
I wonder how much of that is liability insurance and how much is labor?

Jeezuz. They said they would sell this plane for just under $100K?
So ... WTF? They are going for serious MARGIN.
Old November 29th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

To decry the aircraft on the sole fact that it will be constructed in
China simply smacks of xenophobia. If you have a criticism of the
aircraft, at least make it something worth criticising!

If I were interested in one I'd wait and see how many fall out of the
sky. But I do that for any aircraft, so, I guess I'd give the Chinese
just what I'd give any other maker.
Old November 29th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 28, 3:53 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
If I was one of those fools, I'd seriously now be looking at this
instead:

http://www.remos.com/en/news.php?item=092707

A lot to like, except......

the damn rotax.
--
Jim in NC

I'll take that Rotax over an O-200 any day. We had nothing
but cylinder and valve trouble with O-200s in C150s and a Champ. It's
typical of the small Continentals. I've flown a 912 only once, but it
was smooth as silk and for about the same power-to-weight ratio, it
pulled much better than the O-200. I've long suspected that the 200
doesn't produce a full 100 hp. Even an old Aircoupe with a C90
accelerated better than the 150, again with about the same power/
weight ratio.

Dan
Dan
Old November 29th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"JS" == James Sleeman writes:

JS Do you honestly think that CESSNA is going to stake thier
JS name, reputation, and conceivably risk the entire business by
JS going with [a] manufacturer who would produce shoddy
JS unreliable or dangerous [product]?!

Oh, probably not, no more than Mattel or other internationally known
companies.

JS More so, do you honestly think that either Cessna OR your
JS country's respective aviation authorities are going to let
JS obviously shoddy unreliable or dangerous aircraft get anywhere
JS near the hands of Joe Bloggs the pilot?!

Good point. Thank Gawd at least in the US we've beefed up import
inspection under the Bush regime and we caught all that dangerous
stuff before it hit the retail shelves!!

JS Please, at least show some common sense here.

Preach it brudda.

JS Cessna have obviously done thier homework, they have weighed
JS the pros and cons, and at the end of the day, the most
JS effective solution presented itself.

Cessna sniffed big profits to be made by outsourcing is what happened.

Anyway I'm just about to start building an RV-9A so all moot for me.

--
The wise man can pick up a grain of sand and envision a whole
universe. But the stupid man will just lie down on some seaweed
Old November 29th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message
Building it in China, OH JOY! I would think this would be a negative.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._196672-1.html

Cessna has chosen the Chinese-government owned Shenyang Aircraft Corp. to
build the Model 162 Skycatcher. Earlier this week, Cessna announced it
would be building the Light Sport Aircraft offshore. In a news release,
Cessna CEO Jack Pelton said the company needed top quality at a
competitive price and SAC put it all together. "Our solution is to partner
with SAC, a company with excellent facilities, state-of-the-art
technologies and a workforce highly experienced in aircraft manufacturing.
SkyCatcher customers will get an advanced design, high-quality workmanship
and world-class product support, all at an affordable price from Cessna, a
brand known and trusted worldwide." The move, coupled with Cessna's
acquisition of Columbia Aircraft has dominated Cessna's profile in recent
months as it continues to pile up record sales for its business jets.

Cool, you will be able to get replacement parts in the mower department at
Wal Mart.

Old November 29th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message
Building it in China, OH JOY! I would think this would be a negative.

I have seen some pretty damn good airframes that were built in third world
countries. Plus, it is going to be supported by Cessna. Don't knock it until
you have seen it.

Vaughn

Old November 29th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Conner

wrote in message
Now here is a question I have. How come Cessna says that they can't
build the Skycatcher profitably in the USA and meet the price point
they set but yet AMD is able to build their ZODIAC in the states and
advertise an IFR variant for under 100k. It's not like the aircraft
are all that different. Both are made of aluminum and both have the
O-200. Cessna's logic just dosen't make much sense to me.

Probably Cessna's executives are MBAs so they need a much higher salary for
their important decisions.

Cessna To Build Skycatcher Overseas Despite Cheap Dollar Larry Dighera Piloting 22 November 29th 07 01:04 AM
Skycatcher IFR? Matt Whiting Owning 57 November 26th 07 11:59 PM
Skycatcher to be a import. Gig 601XL Builder Piloting 0 November 26th 07 05:01 PM
Cessna's new LSA: "Skycatcher" Jim Logajan Piloting 107 September 23rd 07 01:18 AM
Cessna's new LSA: "Skycatcher" miffich Piloting 1 July 24th 07 12:04 AM