report runway incursion non-towered airport?

Old February 28th 05, 12:53 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Joe Johnson" wrote in message

Should I report this to the FAA?

If you did, what action would you expect the FAA to take?

Old February 28th 05, 12:54 PM
Joe Johnson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

Well, which is it? Would you have collided without the 360 as it was or
would you have collided only if the Citation had held short a few seconds
longer and pulled out as you were crossing the threshold?

Definite collision if I had continued to land as it was. I was trying to
make the point that I started to make contigency plans (Extend downwind?
Plan for a 360 or S turns? Plan to go around?) from the moment I saw the
Citation on the taxiway and heard nothing on CTAF. I decided to turn base
because the Citation stopped at the hold short line and continued to call my
position (scratch the extend downwind plan). Not sure what your point is.
Is it that there is never any chance of a collision if at least one party is
watching and knows what's going on?

Old February 28th 05, 12:57 PM
Stefan

Joe Johnson wrote:

As I was on 1/4 to
1/2 mile final, the Citation suddenly took the runway and started the
takeoff roll;

I remember my first landing at a controlled airport with heavy iron.
(Got my primary training at a small grass strip.) I was told by the
tower to continue my approach. The runway was empty. But the very moment
I turned base to final, which is about 1/2 mile from the threshold at
that airport (Zürich), I saw to my surprize a 737 rolling onto the
runway and lining up, obviously cleared by the tower to do so. When I
was about 1/4 mile out, I got uneasy and called the tower, asking what
to do. "Continue approach, the airliner will depart." And so it did.
Plenty of room, a non event.

Stefan
Old February 28th 05, 01:04 PM
kontiki

mindenpilot wrote:
I'd like to think that if I ever made a mistake (wrong frequency, etc),
someone would cut me some slack.

Exactly. Once I punched up the wrong frequency at my own field... I was
looking all around as I taxied and made my calls. I saw and heard no one
else in the pattern or on the field as I took the runway and departed.
It wasn't until I was airborne and still hearing silence that I took a
close look at the radio and noticed it was on the wrong frequency! DOH!

If there is no activity on the field nowadays I call up UNICOM for a radio
check.

Old February 28th 05, 01:28 PM
Joe Johnson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Seems to me the Citation pilot fell short of his obligation. Perhaps
as the more experienced pilot he figured he knew he had time to take
off without jeopardizing the other plane.

Yup, and he may have figured correctly.

Interesting how you snipped the rest of Dan's post:

Of course he should have called. It's never a good idea to spook
somebody controlling a heavy object at high speed.

Agree with you, Dan.

Old February 28th 05, 01:30 PM
G. Sylvester

Jay -
Were other people on Unicom/CTAF? Was the cessna the exception?
Maybe your radio was tuned wrong? I doubt you want to play Mr. FAA but
if you have others with you on this, you might have a stronger case.
Is there a FAR that states Part 135 have standardized CTAF or could
they claim "oh, it's an uncontrolled field. I can do anything including
shutting off the radios in my $18 million spam-can smashing jet."
Generally, on approaches into uncontrolled airports, I'll make
regular radio calls. At times it gets busy as hell and I might skip
one or even two. Pre-departure the workload is a LOT less so not
making radio calls is kind of silly.

I still remember on my PPL checkride on 12/17/03, everyone
and their mother was out flying. I had a C182 position and hold when
I was on a 2 mile final for the simulated engine out. I was just about
to go around and cancel/postpone that section of it when the guy started
rolling. Uncontrolled airports really scare me. I'd rather have
"the voice of god" commanding aircraft around.

Gerald
Old February 28th 05, 01:31 PM
Peter R.

Denny wrote:

Remember the old chinese adage, "The nail that sticks up, gets
hammered down."

Hmmm.... Given China's history of controlling its people, might there be a
better adage to use?

--
Peter

Old February 28th 05, 01:33 PM
Joe Johnson

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
I was in the middle of announcing my turn to final
when a twin took the runway, so I ammended my call to say I was going to
do a right 270 for spacing. The pilot in the twin said "no, continue on
final, I'll be out of here in no time", so I did, and he was right.

Did the pilot take the runway unannounced?

Old February 28th 05, 01:34 PM
Peter R.

"G. Sylvester" wrote:

Uncontrolled airports really scare me. I'd rather have
"the voice of god" commanding aircraft around.

Too bad that doesn't work. The recent mid-airs in the US occurred at
towered airports. You really should be scared of class D airports.

--
Peter

Old February 28th 05, 01:36 PM
Peter R.

"Peter R." wrote:

Too bad that doesn't work.

This should read: "Too bad that doesn't *always* work."

It obviously works most of the time.

--
Peter