What crashed in front of us today?

Old October 13th 03, 07:12 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
("Gord_Beaman") wrote:

(...just because your 'aircraft' is tiny doesn't mean that you,
as a person, aren't 'up to snuff'...)

Careful Gord, your ignorance is showing again. The wingspan
on my bird is almost 40-ft. wide and she stands more than 13-ft.
tall! In other words, she barely fits (or doesn't fit) in most hangars
built for GA planes.

With Marron flying it the whole thing reminds you of the Wizard of Oz; with
its flying monkeys.

Old October 13th 03, 08:43 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , Steve
Hix wrote:

In article ,
nt (Gordon) wrote:

I'm supposed to raise him, not keep him in a bubble. For years he's

stood by
the runway, watching me step out of various aircraft with a giant-sized
s-eating grin on my face, telling him, "Sorry, you aren't tall enough

for this
ride." Under the tutetage of a 7,000-hour TWA Captain in his personal
aircraft, meticulously maintained since he purchased it in 1976, it seemed a
more responsible than handing him to a leather-clad biker on a Ninja.

You did good Gordon. I envy your son, being as there is nothing much to
match the feeling of your first flight (passenger or not).

Of course, now the kid is ruined for life. He's going to want to do it
again. And again. ... :}

Reminds me of my own first flight as an engineering student working at
a company named (at the time) Airwork in Millville, NJ, overhaul and repair
of various gas turbines, such as the Spey, CJ610, etc. circa 1973

Asked by lead pilot if I wanted to go on shakedown flight in Gulfstream II.
Of course he twisted my arm.
It turned out to be Ray Kroc's private jet. I sat at Ray's desk for the flight.
Partial fuel, we sat at the end of the runway while the pilot held it at
full throttle checking engine pressure and temp. The a/c was shaking
and rumbling with the nose pushed down, then....he just released the brakes.
Snapped back in seat with acceleration, a few seconds later he rotates
then we're off and climbing at a fantastic angle.
Still don't know if he did this for my benefit, or if it was his SOP.
Gotta think he was giving me a memorable ride, especially with the plane
so light.
Only about a 20 minute flight, but I found out later that the G II at that time
was the highest performance private jet available. (So they told me)

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old October 13th 03, 08:51 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article , Steve
Hix wrote:

In article ,
nt (Gordon) wrote:

[...]

Which of course was an ugly dog, compared to Joan Kroc's GIV, with its
priceless Egyptian antiquities.

Old October 14th 03, 12:46 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Gordon" wrote in message

I did get a laugh out of the name translating into "Bush-man". That rules

out
ME ever flying in it!

Don't you lick bush?

Old October 14th 03, 12:51 AM
Gordon

I did get a laugh out of the name translating into "Bush-man". That rules
out
ME ever flying in it!

Don't you lick bush?

More into topiary if you know what I mean.
Old October 14th 03, 12:59 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Gordon" wrote in message
I did get a laugh out of the name translating into "Bush-man". That

rules out
ME ever flying in it!

Don't you lick bush?

More into topiary if you know what I mean.

I am opposed to denuding the clam.

Old October 14th 03, 01:54 AM
Gordon

Sounds like a hell of a ride, Harry!

PS, had Ray gone round the bend at that point..? I used to take tequila
lessons from his bartender, Rick. Ten years on, I have very nearly recovered.
Old October 14th 03, 02:03 AM

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message

I did get a laugh out of the name translating into "Bush-man". That rules

out
ME ever flying in it!

Don't you lick bush?

Jesus Gordon...be CAREFUL!...
--

-Gord.
Old October 14th 03, 02:21 AM

Mike Marron wrote:

("Gord_Beaman") wrote:

(...just because your 'aircraft' is tiny doesn't mean that you,
as a person, aren't 'up to snuff'...)

Careful Gord, your ignorance is showing again. The wingspan
on my bird is almost 40-ft. wide and she stands more than 13-ft.
tall! In other words, she barely fits (or doesn't fit) in most hangars
built for GA planes.

My God Marron...I didn't think that my metaphor was *that* deeply
buried...try again...perhaps you'll catch on now that you have
this rather broad hint. ...

Gollee mistar Dillon...

I assume that you don't chew gum while flying, right?.
--

-Gord.
Old October 14th 03, 04:09 AM
Gordon

I did get a laugh out of the name translating into "Bush-man". That rules
out
ME ever flying in it!

Don't you lick bush?

Jesus Gordon...be CAREFUL!...

I'm not touching that with a nine inch pole!