American joke on the Brits

Old July 31st 03, 09:38 PM
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On 31 Jul 2003 03:35:02 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:

[snip]
They were little guys, but tough as nails.

Description of hobbits!

--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu
Contact details :

"It ain't Coca Cola, it's rice" - The Clash
Old August 1st 03, 12:07 AM
Paul J. Adam

In message . uk,
Kulvinder Singh Matharu writes
On 31 Jul 2003 03:35:02 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:
[snip]
They were little guys, but tough as nails.

Description of hobbits!

Or Paras. Or Gurkhas.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Paul J. Adam

Old August 1st 03, 12:44 AM
vincent p. norris

They were little guys, but tough as nails.

For confirmation of that, read Cornelius Ryan's _Last Battle_
(the battle for Berlin) about the long trek of the released British
POWs to reach Allied lines.

vince norris
Old August 1st 03, 06:25 AM

"James Hart" wrote:

When that much of the country is below sea level I guess it helps to be tall

Sure...it's the basic human subconscious will to survive
influencing their stature I'm sure...
--

-Gord.
Old August 1st 03, 11:38 PM
Drewe Manton

"Nick Pedley" wrote in
:

LOL! You can spot the American tourist in Britain from half a mile
away. In London last week the style was a tartan flat cap, t-shirt
saying "I went to London and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" or a
drawing of a London landmark, shorts, sandals with socks, camera and
camcorder around neck, bum bag (aka fanny pack) and a guide to London
gripped in one hand. A US flag can often be seen somewhere about their
person and they buy overpriced tat from the expensive tourist shops
without question. And they wonder how people know they're American
before they say a word? ;-)

(The variations to the above are endless but the main change is that
if they are ex-military they wear a baseball cap with their unit name,
ship name or the aircraft they flew. These are usually WW2 veterans.)

And they *ALL* seem to have a seriously overweight wife in a blue
trouser suit with curly blonde-ish hair in tow. And those wives are
always, to a woman, called Millie. They must get issued with them at
customs. Next time I'm at Heathrow I'm gonna keep an eye out for the
Millie check-in counter . . . it's probably in the departures lounge
somewhere.
Well. . . whilst we're on the amusing stereotype kick and all!
(Trust me, I'm a Limey, would I lie to you?)

--
Regards
Drewe
Old August 2nd 03, 01:48 AM

Drewe Manton wrote:
"Nick Pedley" wrote:

[...]

Amusing stuff, but elderly tourists from Jolly Ol' England don't
exactly look like Pierce Brosnan or Elizabeth Hurley, ya' know.
In fact, weight-wise they're just as rotund as any old fart American
couple...the only difference is that in addition to being just as
overweight as the Yanks, the Limeys are pasty white, vitamin-D
deprived, effeminate "fat" old farts with rotten teeth to boot!

-Mike Marron

Old August 2nd 03, 04:19 PM
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 00:07:00 +0100, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

In message . uk,
Kulvinder Singh Matharu writes
On 31 Jul 2003 03:35:02 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:
[snip]
They were little guys, but tough as nails.

Description of hobbits!

Or Paras. Or Gurkhas.

Met a few Gurkhas in London and Hong Kong. Very friendly too!

Old August 2nd 03, 07:57 PM
Claude BRUNET

Really too stupid !!!!
And bad taste comments !
Claude

--
============================
Claude Brunet

http://perso.club-internet.fr/clbrunet
============================
ubject: American joke on the Brits
From: "Nick Pedley"

Date: 8/1/03 2:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time

wrote in message
.. .
(bendel boy) wrote:

Based on an intensive survey of people at Disney Orlando (I looked
around me while waiting in the lines), in size, as in so many other
areas, the US growth rate continues at a higher rate than the UK. Not
so much up, you understand.

And based on an intensive survey of people from the UK and Europe
visiting our lovely state of Florida (I looked around me while waiting
in the lines) in hygiene, as in so many other areas, the UK and
European continues to be non-existent. ****-breath, rotten teeth,
fanny packs and dark socks with sandals, or weenie benders on
the beach, you understand.

LOL! You can spot the American tourist in Britain from half a mile away.

In
London last week the style was a tartan flat cap, t-shirt saying "I went

London and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" or a drawing of a London
landmark, shorts, sandals with socks, camera and camcorder around neck,

bum
bag (aka fanny pack) and a guide to London gripped in one hand. A US flag
can often be seen somewhere about their person and they buy overpriced

tat
from the expensive tourist shops without question.
And they wonder how people know they're American before they say a word?

;-)

(The variations to the above are endless but the main change is that if

they
are ex-military they wear a baseball cap with their unit name, ship name

or
the aircraft they flew. These are usually WW2 veterans.)

Nick

But there is a way to handle that. When a Brit says to me, "you are

American
right?" I just answer in German.

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old August 2nd 03, 09:24 PM
Paul J. Adam

wrote:
Or Paras. Or Gurkhas.

Met a few Gurkhas in London and Hong Kong. Very friendly too!

They're generally nice guys. Until you give them reason _not_ to be
nice...

Being Really Tall(TM) doesn't seem to be a battlefield asset any more,
is the main point. Being Really Fit(TM) matters more.

Old August 4th 03, 03:38 AM
Gernot Hassenpflug

wrote:

In message . uk,
Kulvinder Singh Matharu writes
On 31 Jul 2003 03:35:02 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:
[snip]
They were little guys, but tough as nails.

Description of hobbits!

Or Paras. Or Gurkhas.

Met a few Gurkhas in London and Hong Kong. Very friendly too!

I guess they go by Churchill's motto 'If you have to kill a man, it
doesn't hurt to be polite'....just kidding.

--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan