Preheater

Old November 6th 03, 11:49 AM
Roger Long

I agree that, if you prime first, hand propping does significantly increase
the probability of the engine starting. It also does present a small
increase in the risk of galling cold bound parts and hurting the hand
propper.

If I really needed to get that engine going and had no back ups, such as at
a remote airport with no second battery, power cart, or shelter, I would
certainly do as you suggest. We've proven though that a well cared for
0-320 on the coast of Maine will start 3 -6 blades every time, all winter
long, (including below zero weather), without ever touching the prop as long
as the oil is heated with the sump heater. It didn't start any more
reluctantly last winter than in the summer.

If there is no reason to turn the prop, why risk it?

I think care and feeding of the mags and ignition system is the big
overlooked factor in cold starts. Our A&P also made an adjustment to the
primer nozzle that increases its effectiveness.

--
Roger Long

Old November 6th 03, 11:53 AM
Roger Long

There is quite a bit of evidence that there is a compromise in wear
protection to obtain the mulit-viscosity. We switched to 100W for the late
spring, summer, and early fall. It was no big deal, just pick up a
different case and put a note on the old one in our locker. It's probably
only a small wear increment but it made me feel better to have the best oil
in the engine during the hard flying months.

--
Roger Long

Old November 6th 03, 01:56 PM
Jay Honeck

There is quite a bit of evidence that there is a compromise in wear
protection to obtain the mulit-viscosity. We switched to 100W for the

late
spring, summer, and early fall. It was no big deal, just pick up a
different case and put a note on the old one in our locker. It's probably
only a small wear increment but it made me feel better to have the best

oil
in the engine during the hard flying months.

I aim to change my oil every 25 hours. In real life, this means anywhere
from 25 to 40 hours, depending on how much cross-country I'm flying at the
time.

I change (and check) the filter at every oil change, even though you only
have to change it (and the oil) every 50 hours.

As a result, I'm not concerned with the wear protection difference between
multi and straight-weight oil. I am, however, concerned about the lack of
lubrication caused by the sudden temperature swings we get in Iowa.

Example: Last week it was 75 degrees here . This morning it's 19.

Multi-viscosity takes care of that problem.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 6th 03, 05:31 PM
Andrew Gideon

Ray Andraka wrote:

A pager operated one would be a cheaper service. I'm contemplating
picking up a
cheap pager and wiring it to a box to do just that. Tanis sells a box
that listens for the pager's beep, although it is pricey.

I posted about this on the club's mailing list. Someone replied that
electric heating should be watched as protection against arcing (and some
nasty consequences of this).

But it seems from my reading of this thread that people are using electric
heat unattended.

I'm puzzled by the conflict.

- Andrew

Old November 6th 03, 08:50 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:31:54 -0500, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

I posted about this on the club's mailing list. Someone replied that
electric heating should be watched as protection against arcing (and some
nasty consequences of this).

But it seems from my reading of this thread that people are using electric
heat unattended.

I'm puzzled by the conflict.

The only problem I had was caught by the GFCI outlet. Actually, the GFCI
popped at a time when the heaters were still heating, and the A&P could not
locate the fault.

After we made sure the GFCI was properly functioning, he was able to locate
two elements that he felt weren't quite right (I'm not sure exactly what
that means). They were replaced and the problem went away. With a
non-GFCI outlet, the heater appeared to work fine.

Old November 6th 03, 08:59 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

As a result, I'm not concerned with the wear protection difference between
multi and straight-weight oil. I am, however, concerned about the lack of
lubrication caused by the sudden temperature swings we get in Iowa.

Example: Last week it was 75 degrees here . This morning it's 19.

Multi-viscosity takes care of that problem.

My rationale exactly. Two days ago, we broke a record here with a high of 79
degrees. They say it *may* get up to 40 this Saturday.

George Patterson
If you're not part of the solution, you can make a lot of money prolonging
the problem.
Old November 6th 03, 09:03 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

However, the original poster is looking for a portable,
outdoors-parked-on-the-ramp solution. The temperature cube wouldn't work
for that, AFAIK.

The life expectancy of a generator left unattended at my tiedown would be about
15 seconds after the first passerby noticed it.

Old November 6th 03, 09:08 PM
Ross Richardson

I have a Tanis preheater on my O-360 C-172F. Heats all four cylinders
and the oil. During the winter I keep a little appliance timer at the
hangar. If I am going to fly the next morning and the temperature is
below 30F-40F I set it to come on and give me about 4 hours of preheat.
I cover the cowl in a blanket and plug the front openings. I also put a
drop light on the rudder peddles and let the heat from the 75W bulb keep
the instruments warm.

Ross

Old November 6th 03, 11:02 PM
Tom S.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Jay Honeck wrote:

As a result, I'm not concerned with the wear protection difference

between
multi and straight-weight oil. I am, however, concerned about the lack

of
lubrication caused by the sudden temperature swings we get in Iowa.

Example: Last week it was 75 degrees here . This morning it's 19.

Multi-viscosity takes care of that problem.

My rationale exactly. Two days ago, we broke a record here with a high of

79
degrees. They say it *may* get up to 40 this Saturday.

Sounds like here in Arizona: on Oct 24th, it was 102 (a record for our
latest 100 degree day), on Nov 2nd it was down to 38 at CHD.

Old November 7th 03, 02:37 AM
Jay Honeck

The life expectancy of a generator left unattended at my tiedown would be
about
15 seconds after the first passerby noticed it.

That's sad, George. You really must move back to America soon, where we
don't lock the doors at night...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA