Flying Lessons

Old September 21st 05, 04:35 AM
Morgans

"Steve" wrote

I for one thought it was a very informative post I plan on being
around a bit. So feel free to correct my thinking at will. BTW that
Beech C-90 King Air is a cool looking airplane.

Good points. By the way, the C-90 would be a great choice to work your way
into, get a lot of utility, and build some serious hours that will be needed
to get into the turbojets. The operating costs are much lower, and that
will be important for building time.

Lots of bang for the buck with King Airs. Just ask the NASCAR crowd. Lots
of racing teams use them for their dependable fast transportation, and many
drivers fly their plane, themselves. Good short field performance, good
load carrying, good bad weather capabilities. I think they call it (all of
the flying racing teams as a whole) the redneck airforce, or something like
that! g
--
Jim in NC

Old September 21st 05, 05:11 AM
john smith

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

[...]

What I don't like about King Air's is the high approach speed and high
safe single engine operating speed.
Old September 21st 05, 05:14 AM
Jay Beckman

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting that you bring up the short field ability of the C-90.

I was cleaning up after a XC flight today (See: Hello Dahli) when a C-90B
landed at our flyin-in community airstrip which is 3913 X 60'.

I couldn't see which turnoff he actually made, but based on how quickly he
was back at the parking area after I heard the wheels touch, he had to have
gotten it stopped in at least two thirds (if not half) the length of the
runway.

Jay B

Old September 21st 05, 05:15 AM
Jay Beckman

"Morgans" wrote in message

Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

It is a nit, but you left out the "airplane"

Private Pilot - Airplane Single Engine Land
--
Jim in NC

It's a legitimate pick o' the nit...

Hands faster than brain sometimes.

sheepish g

Jay B

Old September 21st 05, 06:29 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:23:59 GMT, Steve wrote
in ::

I'm in Los Angeles

There are several airports located in Los Angeles. I was hoping I
might be able to recommend a particular Fixed Base Operator's flight
school to you, but I'm not sure which airports are nearest your
location, but I would suggest a larger, towered airport with the
exception of LAX.

At any rate, drop in to your nearest airport, and let the proprietor
know you are interested in flight training. Ask for a demo ride with
the Chief Pilot, that way you'll probably have one of the better
instructors with some experience, and one who is less likely to leave
for a job with the airlines midway through your instruction.

The instructor will show you how to inspect the aircraft before
flight, takeoff, let you take the controls, and demonstrate what's
involved in landing. You'll get a taste of what light aircraft are
like, and a chance to interview your potential instructor. If you're
not happy with the instructor, aircraft, or anything else, get a demo
flight at another FBO. The cost will be minimal, and you'll have a
much better idea of what you'll be in for.
Old September 21st 05, 06:39 AM
Steve

As far as I know I'm within 15 no more than 30 minutes to the
following that are not LAX. They are Santa Monica, Torrance,
Hawthorne, and Compton. From my research on the web Compton is the
only one that offesr Multi-engine at their flight school. Compton is
not neccessarily a place I would want to spend a lot of time so I'm
going to go by Santa Monica tommorrow and make a trip to Torrance
later in the week.

Old September 21st 05, 07:20 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 05:39:34 GMT, Steve wrote
in ::

I'm going to go by Santa Monica tommorrow and make a trip to Torrance
later in the week.

Those are good choices. You might also consider Long Beach:
http://www.atpflightschool.com/
http://www.californiaflightcenter.com/

You'll find a list of flight schools at Santa Monica he
http://santa-monica.org/airport/n_flight_s.aspx

Here's a list of flight schools in California:
http://tinyurl.com/cwle7
Old September 21st 05, 02:20 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-09-21, Steve Foley wrote:
That's the only data point I have. The reason I point it out is to
demonstrate that most 'hobby' flyers fly piston. John Travolta and Jimmy
Buffet are the only names I know who fly jets as their personal aircraft.
I'm sure there are others, but they're all out of my price range.

We had a few people who would fly into Houston Gulf on occasion who
owned and flew their own jets - usually the single pilot Cessna
Citations.

They were of course very very wealthy.

Privately owned turboprops weren't too uncommon - we had a Jetprop DLX
conversion based there, and we'd occasionally get owner-flown turboprop
twins of various types show up.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old September 21st 05, 07:09 PM
Montblack

("Steve" wrote)
[snips]
I'm going to add something that noone else has offered up yet....

Damn... i don't post often, but when i do... i get a bit long winded...

I for one thought it was a very informative post I plan on being
around a bit. So feel free to correct my thinking at will.

I'm seeing a green light from the tower. g

"My Keyboard!"
"My Keyboard!"

First lesson: Let's work on trimming those posts :-)

Thanks.

Also, not wanting to lose you here at r.a.p, but have you popped in over at
rec.aviation.student yet?

Also also, hold out for the new HondaJet. It was way cool at OSH this year.

[Flying lessons - buying your own jet]
* BUY a Cessna 172/Piper Warrior
* Keep it in your own hanger, or rent space.
* Do this before Oct 1st.
There are people here, and at rec.aviation.owning, who will help you out
with much (free) advise on buying a plane.

* Go through about 4 instructors (in *your* plane) men and women - you'll
eventually find a couple CFI's you like -- knock it out in 40-60 hrs.

* Fly and hour per day 4-5-6 days per week.
* Take some glider training for fun.

* Take some fellow 172 pilots up for rides - they don't need to be a CFI.
They will be PIC (Pilot in Command) so make it clear before you go up what's
what ...CRM (Crew Recourse Management) ...just like the airlines crews.

*Get your PPL and your Instrument by Christmas.
Now you'll have a much better idea what you want to do next ...plus you'll
be a pilot!!

Almost forgot - get your medical out of the way first. If you've got "known"
issues here, you will still be able to fly under the new Sport Pilot Rule -
just not jets.

Montblack

Old September 21st 05, 07:16 PM
George Patterson

Montblack wrote:

Also also, hold out for the new HondaJet. It was way cool at OSH this year.

Honda hasn't even decided to put it into production yet. If they do, I agree --
it's way cool. But maybe Steve wants to pick up something else in the meantime.

Almost forgot - get your medical out of the way first. If you've got
"known" issues here, you will still be able to fly under the new Sport
Pilot Rule - just not jets.

I agree that the medical should be taken ASAP, but Steve will not be able to fly
Sport Pilot if his application for a medical is rejected.

George Patterson