Pilot claims no blame in July crash

Old March 15th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Pilot claims no blame in July crash

"RK Henry" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:14:59 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
European and UK rules may be different, in the USA, the name
on an IFR flight plan as PIC must be a current IFR rated
pilot.

"Must be" and "is" are not necessarily the same; there is no cross-check
at
the time the flight plan is filed.

Even if there were a cross-check that a pilot holds an instrument
rating, there's no practical way to cross-check whether the pilot is
instrument current.

RK Henry

It is all a moot point as one could simply use the name of any known current
instrument rated pilot.

Old March 15th 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Poor Barney Fife
"Skywise" wrote in message
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in

| Snipola
|
| http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/ss1.jpg
|
| Brian
| --
| http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy,
Skepticism
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html
http://www.skywise711.com/quakes/EQDB/index.html

Old March 15th 06, 08:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Maybe THEY can post a TSA agent or a US Marshall at every
airport to check for ID, drugs, certificates, "Your papers,
please NOW"

After the computer check, logbook check and drug/alcohol
screening you get to fly. It would make aviation "safer"
and the user fees would pay for the SERVICE.

Some Congressman proposed that before every take-off the TSA
would have to approve every flight and that would include
the rancher in Wyoming checking his fences and cattle with a
J3 Cub. Every time he landed, he'd have to get another TSA
approval, luckily that was stopped [nasty AOPA lobbied it
dead] but the evil forces in government will try anything.

some support

et...

Old March 15th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Some Congressman proposed that before every take-off the TSA
would have to approve every flight and that would include
the rancher in Wyoming checking his fences and cattle with a
J3 Cub.

Who might that Congresscritter be?

Old March 15th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I don't remember offhand, I'll see if I can get the name.
Somewhere back east. I'll try Google and the AOPA.

some support

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old March 15th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

About AOPAAbout AOPAHow to JoinHow to JoinAOPA
SweepstakesAOPA SweepstakesAOPA Member ProductsAOPA Member
ProductsCareers with AOPACareers with AOPAHeadquarters
TourHeadquarters TourHistory of AOPAHistory of AOPAAOPA's
MissionAOPA's MissionAOPA ExpoAOPA ExpoOther AOPA
OrganizationsOther AOPA OrganizationsAdvocacyAdvocacyOn
Capitol HillOn Capitol HillRegulatory & Certification
PolicyRegulatory & Certification PolicySport Pilot/Light
Sport AircraftSport Pilot/Light Sport AircraftGuide to TSA's
Alien Flight Training RuleGuide to TSA's Alien Flight
Training RuleAir Traffic Services & TechnologyAir Traffic
Services & TechnologyRegional AffairsRegional
AffairsPresident's PagePresident's PageCommunications
ResourcesCommunications ResourcesAirport Support
NetworkAirport Support NetworkAirport WatchAirport WatchAOPA
MagazinesAOPA MagazinesAOPA PilotAOPA PilotAOPA Flight
TrainingAOPA Flight TrainingAOPA Online GalleryAOPA Online
GalleryBuyers' GuidesBuyers' GuidesAdvertiser
IndexAdvertiser IndexAdvertising InformationAdvertising
InformationWeb LinksWeb LinksMember ProductsMember
ProductsAbout Member ProductsAbout Member ProductsOwnership
ServicesOwnership ServicesFinancial ServicesFinancial
ServicesInsurance ServicesInsurance ServicesPilot
ServicesPilot ServicesWhat's NewWhat's NewAir Safety
FoundationAir Safety FoundationCFI RenewalCFI RenewalOnline
CoursesOnline CoursesSafety SeminarsSafety SeminarsSafety
Topic IndexSafety Topic
IndexPublicationsPublicationsAccident
Database/AnalysisAccident Database/AnalysisSafety Hot
SpotSafety Hot SpotNow FeaturingNow FeaturingYour Donation
Helps GAYour Donation Helps GAASF StoreASF StoreAbout
ASFAbout ASFContact ASFContact ASFPresident's
PagePresident's PagePresident's PositionPresident's
PositionPilot Town MeetingsPilot Town MeetingsLearn to
FlyLearn to FlyFree Offer for Student PilotsFree Offer for
Student PilotsWhy I FlyWhy I FlyStarting Your Flight
TrainingStarting Your Flight TrainingFind a Local Flight
SchoolFind a Local Flight SchoolGetting Back Into
FlyingGetting Back Into FlyingAOPA Flight TrainingAOPA
Flight TrainingAOPA Project PilotAOPA Project PilotAOPA
Flight Training InstructorAOPA Flight Training
InstructorAviation Education for YouthAviation Education for
YouthRegister For AccessRegister For AccessMembers
HomeMembers HomeRenew your AOPA MembershipRenew your AOPA
MembershipCustomize Your LoginCustomize Your LoginGet Your
Login HintGet Your Login HintLogin FAQsLogin FAQsLog in
Without a CookieLog in Without a CookieMember ProfileMember
ProfileJoin AOPAJoin AOPAChange your Membership
AddressChange your Membership AddressChange your Email
AddressChange your Email AddressUpdate your Phone
NumberUpdate your Phone NumberWeatherWeatherSatellite
ImagerySatellite ImageryRadar ImageryRadar ImagerySurface
Weather ImagerySurface Weather ImageryUpper Air ImageryUpper
Air ImageryTextual WeatherTextual WeatherAirport
DirectoryAirport DirectoryInstrument Approach
ProceduresInstrument Approach ProceduresMy ProceduresMy
ProceduresSpecial-use AirspaceSpecial-use AirspaceeDirectory
DownloadseDirectory DownloadsCurrent Medical UpdatesCurrent
Medical UpdatesAviation Medical ExaminersAviation Medical
ExaminersFAA MedicationsFAA MedicationsFAR Part 67FAR Part
67Medical FAQsMedical FAQsMedical Status RequestMedical
Status RequestMedical Subject ReportsMedical Subject
ReportsMeet the Medical TeamMeet the Medical TeamPilot's
Guide to Medical CertificationPilot's Guide to Medical
CertificationTurboMedical® Interactive Medical Application
FormTurboMedical® Interactive Medical Application FormAME
Assisted Special IssuanceAME Assisted Special IssuanceWeb
LinksWeb LinksPilot Information CenterPilot Information
CenterAircraft OwnershipAircraft OwnershipPlanning a
FlightPlanning a FlightBecoming a PilotBecoming a
PilotAdvanced Flight TrainingAdvanced Flight
TrainingLibraryLibraryInternational Flying and
AlaskaInternational Flying and AlaskaMedical
CertificationMedical CertificationWhat's NewWhat's NewWhat's
New OnlineWhat's New OnlineNews Release ArchiveNews Release
ArchiveGA StatisticsGA StatisticsAOPA's Aviation Fact
CardAOPA's Aviation Fact CardAOPA General Aviation Trends
ReportAOPA General Aviation Trends ReportAOPA Member
ProductsAOPA Member ProductsCalendar of Aviation
EventsCalendar of Aviation EventsAOPA NewsroomAOPA
NewsroomAviation ClassifiedsAviation ClassifiedsKeyword
SearchKeyword SearchAdd a Classified AdAdd a Classified AdIn
Search of...In Search of... Instructor Postings
Instructor Postings Add an Instructor Posting Add an
Instructor Posting Flight School Postings Flight School
Postings Add a Flight School Posting Add a Flight School
PostingJoin AOPAJoin AOPANew Member Quick AppNew Member
Quick AppRenew your AOPA MembershipRenew your AOPA
MembershipAOPA ExpoAOPA ExpoAOPA Fly-inAOPA Fly-inPilot Town
MeetingsPilot Town MeetingsAviation EventsAviation
EventsAOPA ePilotAOPA ePilotAOPA ePilot Flight Training
EditionAOPA ePilot Flight Training EditionNewsletter
ArchivesNewsletter ArchivesManage Your SubscriptionManage
Your
Subscriptionhttp://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2004/040915security.html

House aviation subcommittee advances aviation security bill
AOPA work blocks anti-GA proposal
The House aviation subcommittee Wednesday advanced an
aviation security bill, but anti-general aviation security
procedures proposed by New York Congressman Anthony D.
Weiner weren't part of it. AOPA had worked quickly with key
members of the subcommittee to make sure Weiner's bill
wasn't included. Weiner introduced legislation last week
that would require airline-style security screening and
continuous contact with the FAA for every GA flight.

At an aviation subcommittee hearing Wednesday to review any
changes to the aviation security bill before sending it to
the next level, Weiner acknowledged he had received
"additional insight" on general aviation security from other
committee members, including Leonard Boswell (D-Iowa), a
pilot and AOPA member.

Boswell said he had a "lengthy discussion" with Weiner the
day before the hearing. The Iowa congressman said that
legitimate security concerns could be addressed with the
expertise in the federal government and "with the assistance
of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association."

AOPA has "put a lot of study into this on how we can deal
with these [security issues] without the broader impact that
Congressman Weiner is concerned about," Boswell said at
Wednesday's hearing. "I will be available to assist and I
know AOPA will available to assist."

(Listen to portions of Rep. Anthony Weiner's statements to
the House aviation subcommittee and the exchange with Rep.
Leonard Boswell.)

Weiner responded, "I want to thank the gentleman from Iowa
for giving me some additional insight into this issue. It is
an issue where it is very easy to identify the tree and lose
sight of the forest. We still want general aviation, we
still want commerce, we still want transportation to go on,
and for that reason I didn't offer this [amendment] today."

Before the hearing AOPA had registered its concerns about
the tremendous impact the bill could have on general
aviation directly with Weiner's staff. AOPA's legislative
affairs staff had also lobbied other influential members of
the aviation subcommittee and its parent committee, the
House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

"What happened in the aviation subcommittee on Wednesday
clearly illustrates AOPA's strong relationships and support
in Congress," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "For our
400,000 members, it is important to have a dedicated staff
on Capitol Hill working on behalf of pilots."

On September 8, the same day Weiner released his bill, an
AOPA legislative affairs staff member had met with Rep. Sam
Graves (R-Mo.), a member of the House aviation subcommittee,
to express opposition to the bill. Graves, a pilot and AOPA
member, confirmed he would oppose the bill.

AOPA also contacted subcommittee member Robin Hayes
(R-N.C.), a pilot and AOPA member, along with Boswell.

AOPA talked to the staff of aviation subcommittee Chairman
John Mica (R-Fla.) and Ranking Member Peter DeFazio
(D-Ore.); with chairman of the full Transportation
Committee, Don Young (R-Alaska); and with James Oberstar
(D-Minn.), the ranking member.

The leadership of both committees made it very clear there
would be no support for Weiner's bill. Without the backing
of the senior members of the aviation subcommittee and the
Transportation Committee, there's little chance a piece of
legislation will get passed. Weiner's bill is still
technically alive; he hasn't officially withdrawn it. But it
will die when Congress adjourns early next month if no
further action is taken.

"Weiner's bill would have to clear a lot of hurdles before
it would even be considered by the House," said Boyer.
"There are significant checks and balances to a piece of
legislation like this - the subcommittee, full committee,
full House - then the same over in the Senate.

"With our long experience in lobbying Congress, we know when
and how to target politicians to express our position,"
Boyer added. "Rarely has AOPA ever been placed in a position
to bring in the full power of our 400,000 members to stop a
bill on either the House or Senate floor because we work at
being effective well prior to that point. In this case, we
did just that and didn't need to call on our members for
assistance."

Weiner's bill (H.R. 5035) would require the Transportation
Security Administration to set up airline-style passenger
screening at every landing facility in the United States
(some 19,500) to screen every passenger boarding every
general aviation aircraft (more than 211,000) for every
flight (more than 43 million per year). That means the TSA
would have to conduct an additional 108 million passenger
screenings at more than 19,000 facilities where TSA today
doesn't currently have any officers. (Data from AOPA's 2004
Fact Card.)

But Weiner's bill wouldn't stop there. It would also require
every pilot of every flight to remain "in contact with the
Federal Aviation Administration regardless of the altitude
of such aircraft." That would increase the workload of air
traffic controllers by at least nine times, requiring the
agency to significantly increase the size of the workforce
and to install new communications and radar equipment to
cover all the areas of the country.

The aviation security bill that the subcommittee sent to the
House Transportation Committee on Wednesday deals primarily
with commercial aviation, where the risk of terrorism
remains greatest.

Update: September 16, 2004

©1995-2006 Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association

"Jim Macklin" wrote
in message news:fTVRf.117485$QW2.69668@dukeread08...
|I don't remember offhand, I'll see if I can get the name.
| Somewhere back east. I'll try Google and the AOPA.
|

| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| some support
| http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| See http://www.fija.org/ more about your rights and
duties.

| "Matt Barrow" wrote in message
|| "Jim Macklin"
wrote

Old March 15th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Boyer: "With our long experience in lobbying Congress, we know when
and how to target politicians to express our position,"
Boyer added. "Rarely has AOPA ever been placed in a position
to bring in the full power of our 400,000 members to stop a
bill on either the House or Senate floor because we work at
being effective well prior to that point. In this case, we
did just that and didn't need to call on our members for
assistance."

What a total load of BS, as usual. Having apparently lost on the really,
really big issues, ADIZ (and having gone apolplectic about the transcript
being pulled from the record) and user fees (though light GA may be
exempted from some fees), he takes credit for this ill-thought Weener bill
being pulled. A bill that has no support.

Does anyone know WHAT "rare" occassion he is referring to when AOPA
brought to "stop a bill on the House or Senate floor?" Maybe this has
happened in an episode of West Wing....

Junior Soprano has more marbles left than this guy, judging from the most
recent tirades about the ADIZ and user fees being the "death" of GA.
Ridiculous.

Old March 15th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

WRE wrote:
It really amazes me that in this day and age you can file an IFR flight plan
and give any name you desire....and who knows if you have an instrument
rating.

How hard would it be for the FAA to require a Certificate # and cross
reference it with the name given when filing a flight plan?

Well they would need a world wide database for one.
Old March 15th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
Further, the NTSB/FAA will consider the highest
rated pilot on the airplane to be PIC unless there is clear
evidence to the contrary.

So on each flight, if one finds himself to hold the highest rating
among the occupants of a flight, he should scrutinize all aspects as
though he were PIC, as well as taking a position at which there are
flight controls, and even taking over those controls if he deems it
prudent?

Also, the highest-rated pilot should be able to log the time as PIC while
sleeping in the back seat.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com