Fatalities: Rentals vs Owned?

Old October 22nd 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

Default Fatalities: Rentals vs Owned?

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
This assumes that you are checked out in the plane, and that your
insurance company agrees. For many complex airplanes, companies might
require 20-100 hours time in type, and 20 or more of dual instruction
before being covered, along with possibly an instructor sign-off. (an
example is the Baron you talk about)

I don't think insurance companies require a check-out for airplanes that
come in a box and plug into the wall.

Old October 22nd 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

Why wouldn't a light bulb be important for safety?

Please read up on hazardous attitudes. Just because YOU don't think
it's important doesn't mean you can break a regulation and install the
incorrect bulb. Hardly something I'd expct you to understand.

Please go back and read what I actually wrote (and you backquoted,
right there, above). In the meantime, I find your reply very amusing!

Old October 22nd 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ron Wanttaja writes:

If you bought a new 172, the plane would require a special waiver to have
long-range fuel tanks installed and flown across the Atlantic to France.

Are there no ships these days?

Anyway, I'd surely not be buying one in France. And it would probably
be a Beechcraft rather than a Cessna, although I suppose the same
problem exists in any case.

The waiver wouldn't allow the ferry pilot to carry a passenger...and
it would take you a long, long time to get qualified to make the flight
yourself.

Unless, of course, I already have that qualification.

But I think it would be simpler to ship it by sea.

And they're still not going to let you climb in at the exit point of the
assembly line and be the first person to fly the airplane....

Why not?

Old October 22nd 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

Overstressed airplanes shows signs of being overstressed.

Examples?

Old October 22nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Emily writes:

Overstressed airplanes shows signs of being overstressed.

Examples?

The monitor and keyboard have cracks and the mouse ball is flat on one side.
Sure signs of overstress.

Old October 22nd 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Emily writes:

Overstressed airplanes shows signs of being overstressed.

Examples?

(sigh)

Go the the airport and ask an A&P to show you some. That's one thing MSFS
*won't* do.

Neil

Old October 22nd 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Overstressed airplanes shows signs of being overstressed.

Examples?

Wrinkles
Old October 22nd 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:45:34 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

And they're still not going to let you climb in at the exit point of the
assembly line and be the first person to fly the airplane....

Why not?

When assembly is complete the aircraft still doesn't have an
airworthiness certificate and won't until the FAA and factory
authorized test pilot has run the certification tests. IME, Cessna
singles, for example, generally run 7-10 hours of certification, test,
and fit&finish time on the hobbs at time of customer delivery at the
factory, which is when the final signoffs and log entries are made.
Old October 22nd 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

Ron Wanttaja writes:

If you bought a new 172, the plane would require a special waiver to have
long-range fuel tanks installed and flown across the Atlantic to France.

Are there no ships these days?

In most cases, it's cheaper and quicker to ferry it. Don't know on 172-class
aircraft, though. In any case, you run the risks involved in getting damaged in
transit or faulty re-assembly. I'd rather trust a ferry pilot.

And they're still not going to let you climb in at the exit point of the
assembly line and be the first person to fly the airplane....

Why not?

If you are a qualified test pilot and employed by the manufacturer, you can.
Otherwise, I'd say no. 14CFR 21.127 requires flight testing of
newly-manufactured aircraft in accordance with an approved production
flight-test procedure. I doubt the manufacturer's insurance policy will cover
flight testing by a non-employee.

Ron Wanttaja
Old October 22nd 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

If you mean installing a tractor light bulb instead of an
"aircraft" light bulb, sure, I know LOTS of owners like that. But I
don't know any owner who would cut a safety corner.

That's not a safety corner?

Sure, they are probably built on the same assembly line (but maybe not)
and they meet the same specs (but maybe not), but (FAA bashing aside)
how do you know that this particular part is (or is not) as good as an
approved part?

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).

Florida Rentals Arnold Sten Piloting 0 December 14th 04 02:13 AM
Wreckage of Privately Owned MiG-17 Found in New Mexico; Pilot Dead Rusty Barton Military Aviation 1 March 28th 04 10:51 PM
Deliberate Undercounting of "Coalition" Fatalities Jeffrey Smidt Military Aviation 1 February 10th 04 07:11 PM
Rentals in Colorado PhyrePhox Piloting 11 December 27th 03 03:45 AM
Rentals at BUR Dan Katz Piloting 0 July 19th 03 06:38 PM