Stop whining, America!

Old August 26th 05, 09:02 PM
Doug

Or get a Seaplane and do both. I have two boats, a right boat and a
left boat :-)

Old August 26th 05, 09:37 PM
Mark T. Dame

W P Dixon wrote:

Sitting on the bow of that carrier with your legs hanging off the
front of the ship, playing guitar under a beautiful clear sky full of
stars as far as you can see, the sounds of the waves on the hull as she
pushes her way onward to the next port. Sometimes when you are there it
is hard to believe the awesome force and violence that the same ocean
can give you on any other day at any other time.

You're making me miss it... Nothing quite like being on a flattop in
the middle of the Pacific as far away from land as possible without
leaving the planet... It was the same feeling I get now on a long
cross-country flight on a calm moon-lit night.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development
Old August 26th 05, 11:08 PM
Eduardo K.

In article .com,
Michael wrote:
And I don't see anyone flying less.

I do. A friend of mine is selling his Baron, and it barely leaves the
hangar now. He can't afford the gas anymore. He's decided his Harley
is more bang for the buck at 40 mph.

Another friend of mine is selling his Bonanza. Same basic reason.

I'm seeing quite a few people flying less, and the gas price is a major
factor.

In some more time cars will eb affected too by the gas prices. I just bought
a big car less than half bluebook because everybody is dumping cars
that get less than 30/35mpg. Top seller is the Toyota Yaris (cheaper
version of the Echo) at 40mpg and the Fiat Palio at 38mpg.

(down here is Chile, SouthAmerica, where gas has now reached 1.25 us dolars
a liter. US$5 a galon.)

--
Eduardo K. |
http://www.carfun.cl | "World domination, now"
Old August 26th 05, 11:21 PM
Matt Whiting

Dave Stadt wrote:

Jay loved in Wisconsin. Lake Michigan and all you know.

Are you implying that he doesn't love in Iowa? Sorry to hear that, Jay!

Matt
Old August 26th 05, 11:24 PM
Matt Whiting

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Jay,

Well, a very serious argument can be made that the environmental regulations
of the last 30 years have seriously harmed our economy.

I don't think they are made to benefit the economy. By definition, one might
think. Economy isn't all there is...

Remember when America used to actually *make* things?

Well, what do you expect in a country where the president publicly denounces
science and the scientific method? What does that do to science, which
ultimately is the very foundation of "making things"?

The president has done no such thing and has actually funded science and
technology reaonsably well.

And man was making things long before the scientific method was formalized.

Matt
Old August 26th 05, 11:48 PM
Dave Stadt

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
news

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
You know an awful lot about boats for a guy who lives in a place where
the biggest body of water most people ever see has a four legs and a
drain at the bottom

35 years living on the shores of Lake Michigan (in Milwaukee, Racine and
Kenosha, WI) teaches you a thing or three about boating.

"Turbulence" out there is no worse than we get
in the air and often less, especially in the summer. Most of these
boats have no business in serious weather.

"Turbulence" on Lake Michigan will turn the stoutest blue-water Navy man
green. When it gets rough on the Great Lakes, get off the water --

period.

BIG difference between fresh water and salt? Or _relatively_ shallow

water?

Ocean waves are very far apart so even a 30 foot wave is no big deal, great
lakes waves are very close together and very steep. Get down in the trough
of an ocean wave and the water just rolls underneath you. Get in a trough
of a good sized wave on the great lakes and you are looking at a near
verticle wall of water.

Just curious...the closest I ever got to water was McHales Navy

Old August 26th 05, 11:57 PM
Dave Stadt

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Dave Stadt wrote:

Jay loved in Wisconsin. Lake Michigan and all you know.

Are you implying that he doesn't love in Iowa? Sorry to hear that, Jay!

Matt

The statement does not exclude him from chasing Mary in Iowa same as he did
in Wisconsin. No implication on my part.

Old August 26th 05, 11:58 PM
Don Tuite

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:08:32 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo K.
wrote:

In some more time cars will eb affected too by the gas prices. I just bought
a big car less than half bluebook because everybody is dumping cars
that get less than 30/35mpg. Top seller is the Toyota Yaris (cheaper
version of the Echo) at 40mpg and the Fiat Palio at 38mpg.

(down here is Chile, SouthAmerica, where gas has now reached 1.25 us dolars
a liter. US$5 a galon.)

Welcome back to the NG.

Don

Old August 27th 05, 12:21 AM

On 26-Aug-2005, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Remember when America used to actually *make* things? If you're under
35,
probably not.

Hi Jay,
I work at a factory that still "makes things", firetrucks in this case. And
the equipment that goes into them (engines, transmissions, lights, sirens,
seats, aluminum panels, etc) is pretty much all made in America. I rarely
see parts with "Made In XXXX" stickers. I thought you'd be pleased to know.
Scott Wilson
Old August 27th 05, 12:53 AM
Bob Fry

"JH" == Jay Honeck writes:

JH Well, a very serious argument can be made that the
JH environmental regulations of the last 30 years have seriously
JH harmed our economy.

In your original post you said the US economy is on track to double in
18 years, now you're saying the economy has been seriously harmed.
Which way is it?

Perhaps you'd like to live in the former Soviet areas, which have
neither a good economy nor a good environment. Not me--I'm very
grateful for the environmental regulation, think we probably need
more, and don't think it will hurt our economy a bit.