What a shame; another military newsroup gone!

Old April 10th 04, 03:45 PM
phil hunt

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 23:38:19 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:
For that matter, ask your typical UK under-18 to find the Somme or Ypres
and they'll probably point to somewhere in the Middle East (it was a big
fight and that's where we fight our wars, right?). Let's not even start
on trying to pin Spion Kop or Omduran or Balaklava on the map, even for
UK students. (Let's be modern: where's Imphal, where's Goose Green,
where's Neuve Chapelle, where's Dhofar?)

Not forgetting the 11% of Brits who think Hitler was fictional.

(Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk)

Old April 10th 04, 08:14 PM
D. Strang

shut up

Old April 11th 04, 12:14 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , phil hunt
writes
On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 23:38:19 +0100, Paul J. Adam news@jrwlync
h.demon.co.uk wrote:
Let's not even start
on trying to pin Spion Kop or Omduran or Balaklava on the map, even for
UK students. (Let's be modern: where's Imphal, where's Goose Green,
where's Neuve Chapelle, where's Dhofar?)

Not forgetting the 11% of Brits who think Hitler was fictional.

No, he was real, he commanded the Orcs at Helm's Deep...

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old April 11th 04, 09:17 PM
Alan Minyard

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 23:38:19 +0100, "Paul J. Adam" wrote:

WW1 wasn't a critical win-or-die for the US. Meanwhile, ask your typical
class of UK under-18s what happened at Appotamox (probably spelled that
one wrong... shows how much I know!), or why Gettysburg was significant,
or about just about anything about the War Between The States or the War
Of Those Ungrateful Rebellious American *******s Forsaking Our
Enlightened Rule (I'm sure there's a more politic US phrase for both of
those )

For that matter, ask your typical UK under-18 to find the Somme or Ypres
and they'll probably point to somewhere in the Middle East (it was a big
fight and that's where we fight our wars, right?). Let's not even start
on trying to pin Spion Kop or Omduran or Balaklava on the map, even for
UK students. (Let's be modern: where's Imphal, where's Goose Green,
where's Neuve Chapelle, where's Dhofar?)

There's a lot of UK history I don't actually know jack about, let alone
other countries'. I console myself by admitting ignorance and trying to
learn when I feel the need: or, in areas that interest me, by bothering
those with experience.

I'd suggest that basic school education isn't necessarily able to
provide detailed world history (my World History O-level covered the
Russian and Chinese revolutions, the economic and political buildup to
WW2, and the Arab-Israeli conflicts: good stuff and I really enjoyed it,
helped by a good teacher, but how much of the 20th century's woes went
ignored if that's all you think about?) but to at least let the student
know that there aren't usually quick, simple soundbite answers to the
problems of the real world and to give some idea of where to look to
learn more if you're interested.

And I admire and respect teachers as a general rule. Tough job with few
thanks.

It's late, I'm tired and emotional, I'm rambling. All opinions above
have been assayed as worth at best $0.02.

Completely agree, that is why we have historians. If one tried to
gain a comprehensive knowledge of world history they would
never complete the quest, just too much for one individual to
absorb.

Al Minyard
Old April 11th 04, 11:02 PM
phil hunt

h.demon.co.uk wrote:
Let's not even start
on trying to pin Spion Kop or Omduran or Balaklava on the map, even for
UK students. (Let's be modern: where's Imphal, where's Goose Green,
where's Neuve Chapelle, where's Dhofar?)

Not forgetting the 11% of Brits who think Hitler was fictional.

No, he was real, he commanded the Orcs at Helm's Deep...

Er, wasn't that Conan the Barbarian?

(Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk)

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
18 Jan 2004 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 19th 04 02:08 AM
Updated List of Military Information-Exchange Forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 29th 03 02:20 AM
List of News, Discussion and Info Exchange forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 November 14th 03 05:01 AM
08 Nov 2003 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 November 9th 03 01:51 AM