Private pilot license

Old February 11th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Private pilot license

oh yeah...compuserve! I think they were my first online foray, back in
about 1984? 300 baud modem in my atari 400, long distance phone
charges....I still remember playing LOTS of megawars! hehehe
I had several different accounts with them over the years, even found
the local number

I was also pretty active on GEnie. In fact, shortly before my 10th
anniversary with them, they got bought by another company who made an
abrupt and arbitary (sp?) change to an internet provider. dropped them
just a few days before my 10th.

After that, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the internet age...

John

Old February 11th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've got one of those too, with the speech synthesizer, I
should have said "my first PC was" [Toshiba T1000 laptop].
Remember the days when you'd got into Sears or K-Mart or
some mall and they'd have a TI99 or a Commodore on the
counter with people playing games? I would get to the
machine and enter a program that would ask for a null string
input, change the screen color for a running program and
start to count to 1,000, then print this on the screen,
"Sorry, I can't Do That" Then it would loop back and wait
for any other null input. Pressing any key started the loop
again. The only escape was to turn it off. Later I put
several steps in that would get more adamant that I Can't do
that. It was fun to stand a few feet away and watch the
people get angry with the machine. Then they'd call the
clerk and they knew nothing and it would take them several
escalating people before somebody would turn it off.

I haven't don't that in about 35-40 years, I guess it
wouldn't be as much fun today. I just get phone calls from
friends asking what some message on their computer means
when they can't tell me the exact wording. Then they tell
me they have been uninstalling programs, etc.

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
. com...

| That was a big time PC, first here was a TI-99 which I
still have. Not even
| a floppy but a cassette tape.
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| My first computer and modem cost me about $1,800. It
had no
| hard drive, a 720 KB floppy and 1.2 MB of RAM and a 4.7
MHz
| 16 bit processor. The modem was a WorldPort external on
the
| serial port at 2400 bps but it did have compression and
| could get 4800 bits. It was DOS only but WORKS 2.0 ran
on
| it.
|

| "Greg B" wrote in message
| | "Jay Honeck" wrote in
message
| | Compuserve! Now *there* is a blast from the past.
| |
| | Remember "Prodigy"? Owned by Sears, Roebuck, of all
| people! That was my
| | first venture into the on-line world...
| |
| | IIRC, there was another competitor of Prodigy and
| CompuServe around then but
| | can't think of its name. It used Gopher searches.
Also,
| BBS's were big back
| | then and some of them would sync their messages
together
| nightly using Fido
| | net. Most would run on 1,200 bps, some were only 300
but
| the 'good' ones
| | supported 2,400. Most could only have one person dial
in
| at a time.
| |
| | - I miss my 300bps dial-up modem. (yeah, right...)
| |
| |

Old February 11th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

BDS quotes Skylune thus...
I tried that once, and realized I could develop just enough skills to be
dangerous, but still legal.

implying it's a slam (presumably on the FAA)

I don't consider this a bad thing. It is the nature of freedom. It
ipmlies judgement on the part of the pilot (or anyone else governed)
that the rules permit unsafe actions on occasion, leaving it to the
governed to excercise judgement. I much prefer it this way to the
alternative of having perfectly safe operations proscribed because
somebody couldn't handle it.

CAUTION: SILICA GEL... DO NOT EAT!!
(yep, just what I expected with my digital camera - a snack!)

Jose
Old February 11th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

IIRC, there was another competitor of Prodigy and CompuServe around then

GEnie.

Its downfall was aladdin, a program you could use for unatttended
downloads of message boards and such. The name was cute, but the
program got long in the tooth and there would be no competitors as GEnie
was enamored of the name.

Jose
Old February 12th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote
BDS quotes Skylune thus...
I tried that once, and realized I could develop just enough skills to

be
dangerous, but still legal.

implying it's a slam (presumably on the FAA)

Well, since the guy who wrote it eventually admitted it was, I guess I was
right on, eh? Seems obvious if you follow what preceded that sentence -
what would be the point of that "but still legal" ending otherwise?

I don't consider this a bad thing. It is the nature of freedom.

I don't think you will find a pilot who thinks otherwise, but nobody was
talking about whether it was good or bad, only about whether someone was
taking yet another opportunity to make a negative comment about something
relating to GA in order to further a personal agenda.

BDS

Old February 12th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Well, since the guy who wrote it eventually admitted it was, I guess I was
right on, eh?

Well, sorta. He didn't "admit it was" (or was intended to), he admitted
it could be taken thus. A little different. It casts shade on the
-other- statements he makes (which are slams) but I would not consider
it a slam in itself. In fact, as I point out, I consider it a positive
comment on the FAA.

nobody was
talking about whether it was good or bad, only about whether someone was
taking yet another opportunity to make a negative comment

Uh... "negative comment" implies a judgement about good or bad.

Jose
Old February 12th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote

Well, sorta. He didn't "admit it was" (or was intended to), he admitted
it could be taken thus. A little different. It casts shade on the
-other- statements he makes (which are slams) but I would not consider
it a slam in itself. In fact, as I point out, I consider it a positive
comment on the FAA.

Someone says something is dangerous, but legal, and you take that as a
positive comment - er, OK then. My guess is that you would be alone in that
interpretation.

BDS

Old February 12th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Someone says something is dangerous, but legal, and you take that as a
positive comment - er, OK then. My guess is that you would be alone in that
interpretation.

I don't think I'm alone. You want the government to come up with a list
of all the dangerous things they think people can do and make them
illegal? That's not the kind of world I want to live in.

Jose
Old February 12th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote

Someone says something is dangerous, but legal, and you take that as a
positive comment - er, OK then. My guess is that you would be alone in

that
interpretation.

I don't think I'm alone. You want the government to come up with a list
of all the dangerous things they think people can do and make them
illegal? That's not the kind of world I want to live in.

Good grief - you win, I give up.

BDS