First Soaring Experience

Old September 2nd 05, 09:24 PM
Stefan

Don Hammer wrote:

I can't say that if the prop
stops in the light aircraft I fly I would be able say the same.

Thst's how I handle it (and I guess, most of us do): In a glider, I have
always an option to safely land without any damage to the glider. In a
powered plane, I have always an option to do a survivable crash.

When flying a high performance glider, at any reasonable altitude,
your glide will take you to places you can't see, but yes you plan,
but you don't have to be obsessive about it.

As I said, this depends on where you're flying. In the mountains, you
better be *very* obsessive about it, or you'll find yourself in a very
uncomfortable situation sooner than you've expected. There are
"outlanding field directories" for the Alps, and I have the known
landing options marked on my map. Plus, in the Alps, we do our landing
options calculations with only half the nominal L/D ratio, which
translates to roughly 1:20 for a standard 15m glider. Believe me, even
with this conservative approach, it can get pretty uncomfortable when
you hit an unexpected downdraft.

Stefan
Old September 6th 05, 04:09 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Doug Snyder" wrote in message
oups.com...
Trent,

Was that at SPA ??

Come on out and get your PGL !
We'll be happy to have you.

Doug

Doug,

It was HRJ in Erwin NC. Thanks for the invite! I think the only thing
holding me back is how much of a time commitment there is to soaring. The
club likes you to stay around all afternoon to help with wing running,
towing etc. I just don't have the time right now. My time will free up as my
youngest child gets a little older.

I definitely see soaring as the next step in aviation for me and hopefully
it won't be too much longer.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old September 6th 05, 11:57 PM
Brian

My son has been running wings and hooking up gliders since he was 7.

Brian

Old September 7th 05, 02:37 PM
Jay Honeck

Here are a few pix from our day in Ames:

http://alexisparkinn.com/2005_soaring_in_ames.htm

What a great time!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 7th 05, 02:48 PM
Flyingmonk

Great pics Jay! How many days did you keep that sh*t eating grin on
your face? I envey you dude. At Federick Airport in MD there's a
glider op, I might go have a looksie.

Thanks for the pics.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 7th 05, 03:17 PM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

Here are a few pix from our day in Ames:

You ever get any sun in Iowa? No wonder I never move back to the midwest.

Old September 7th 05, 03:23 PM
Jay Honeck

Here are a few pix from our day in Ames:

You ever get any sun in Iowa? No wonder I never move back to the midwest.

Tons, actually -- especially this summer, with the drought.

Look at the first pictures in the set, when we're in Iowa City. Bright
sunshine!

The high overcast (and a light sprinkle) rolled in while we were in Ames...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 7th 05, 04:19 PM
Don Hammer

As I said, this depends on where you're flying. In the mountains, you
better be *very* obsessive about it, or you'll find yourself in a very
uncomfortable situation sooner than you've expected. There are
"outlanding field directories" for the Alps, and I have the known
landing options marked on my map. Plus, in the Alps, we do our landing
options calculations with only half the nominal L/D ratio, which
translates to roughly 1:20 for a standard 15m glider. Believe me, even
with this conservative approach, it can get pretty uncomfortable when
you hit an unexpected downdraft.

Stefan

Good point Stefan. It does depend on your prospective. 99% of my
flying is in the heartland of the US where it is flat. I have some
experience in the mountains of New Mexico where all you have to do is
turn away from the rocks and there are strips and roads you can use in
the valleys. Those I marked on a map also. Sometimes, like you say,
you get sink that really gets your attention though. Many times out
there you see 10kt+ lift and sink that matches it.

I've traveled a bit in the Alps (not flown there yet) of France,
Italy, and Switzerland and can understand why you do what you do. Lots
of rocks there with narrow valleys between. I would think with all
the great scenery, it would be hard to keep your mind on the task at
hand.

Have a good one,

Don
Old September 7th 05, 11:29 PM
Michael

I hear you, Jer, but I just can't afford *another* incredibly expensive
pass-time!

Not as expensive as you might think. I paid less than $7000 for my
flying, in-annual (actually condition inspection), all-metal (can be
tied down outside, no hangar necessary) single seat glider. Insurance
is less than $500/year. Annual maintenance is less than $100/year,
though it does include a weekend of my time a year.

BTW, your kids can solo a glider at 14.

Since you have an airplane, you can choose any glider operation within
reasonable reach, and use the plane to get to the glider.

Michael

Old September 8th 05, 12:28 AM
Jay Honeck

Since you have an airplane, you can choose any glider operation within
reasonable reach, and use the plane to get to the glider.

That would end up being the most expensive part, I suspect. The closest
glider ops are in Ames, about 45 minutes away.

I'd use the CAP gliders over in Burlington, but getting one of those (and a
CAP instructor) scheduled is ridiculous.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA