GA is priceless

Old December 29th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Default GA is priceless

Jose wrote in
. net:

But you are right, given the risk aversion that has swept and IMHO
weakened this country I really surprised that driving hasn't become
as regulated as flying.

It's less regulated in the sense that just about anybody can get a
license and drive. It's more regulated (there's a better phrase but I
can't think of it) in the sense that minima are much higher. In
aviation, it is legal to do things that require skill, and prudent not
to if you don't have the skill. In driving, if it requires skill, it
is illegal. For example, it's illegal to go seventy miles an hour,
but it is perfectly legal to fly 210 feet above the ground while in
clouds.

Jose

Why is it illegal to drive at the posted speed limit of 70 MPH?

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old December 29th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Mxsmanic wrote:

There are bold pilots and old pilots, but no old, bold pilots.

That's a catchy phrase full of wisdom! Never hear that before, I gotta
remember that one.

That cannot be done in real life.

I get it, you've "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" right?

Even in simulation, pausing the simulation may only delay the inevitable.

Ahh, not when you use the "Go to Airport" function! Microsoft even
makes it easy and pauses the simulation for you. You didn't know that?
Don't tell me you're one of those guys that "pretends" to fly the
simulator.

Old December 29th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Why is it illegal to drive at the posted speed limit of 70 MPH?

It isn't. But it is illegal to drive at 70 when the posted speed limit
is 55 (which it is for many places where 70 is perfectly safe). It's
also illegal to fly 210 feet above the ground while in clouds unless
you're on an instrument approach with an MDA of 210 or less. But that's
not my point.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 29th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Jose wrote in
. net:

It's less regulated in the sense that just about anybody can get a
license and drive. It's more regulated (there's a better phrase but I
can't think of it) in the sense that minima are much higher. In
aviation, it is legal to do things that require skill, and prudent not
to if you don't have the skill. In driving, if it requires skill, it is
illegal. For example, it's illegal to go seventy miles an hour, but it
is perfectly legal to fly 210 feet above the ground while in clouds.

One requires special training and certification in order to be able to
legally fly 210' above the ground in clouds, however a significant number of
pilots do not have this certification, and thus are not permitted to do so
legally.

In driving, there is no training or certification one can take in order to
drive 70MPH on a 55MPH road. The limitation is for one and all. They apply
the same to me as they do to Dale Earnhardt Jr. and to off-duty Police and
Military personnel who indeed have had high-speed driving training.

Old December 29th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Lee writes:

I have seen the St Louis Arch, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon
(twice), Devil's Tower twice, Mt Rushmore, Death Valley, Saguaro Natl
Monument, White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns and more in the last four
years while flying only VFR.

Aviation is good for sightseeing.

Sounds pretty useful to me.

Useful for sightseeing, not for transportation.

Getting from point A to Point B to see stuff and so things is what I
want. If all you wish to do is go to and from the grocery store that
is your choice.

When I drive a car, I do so to get from point A to point B, not to
admire the sights along the way. That's what makes it transportation.
Similarly, I don't book a seat on a commercial flight so that I can
admire the Rockies outside the window.

Can you claim to have driven to a
similar number of sites (same distances) in the same period?

Why would I want to?

Good point. You live in a simulated world. I live in the real world
where I like to enjoy doing things and seeing parts of this great
country.

Ron Lee
Old December 29th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

"Morgans" wrote:

"Ron Lee" wrote

Sounds pretty useful to me. Can you claim to have driven to a
similar number of sites (same distances) in the same period?

Do you really want to be drawn into responding to this putz?
--
Jim in NC

We have a snow period now and I need some excitement.

Ron Lee
Old December 29th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Marty Shapiro wrote:

Jose wrote in
. net:

But you are right, given the risk aversion that has swept and IMHO
weakened this country I really surprised that driving hasn't become
as regulated as flying.

It's less regulated in the sense that just about anybody can get a
license and drive. It's more regulated (there's a better phrase but I
can't think of it) in the sense that minima are much higher. In
aviation, it is legal to do things that require skill, and prudent not
to if you don't have the skill. In driving, if it requires skill, it
is illegal. For example, it's illegal to go seventy miles an hour,
but it is perfectly legal to fly 210 feet above the ground while in
clouds.

Jose

Why is it illegal to drive at the posted speed limit of 70 MPH?

Obviously it isn't, but many parts of the country have 65 MPH as the
highest posted speed limit.

Matt
Old December 29th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jose writes:

But it is illegal to drive at 70 when the posted speed limit
is 55 (which it is for many places where 70 is perfectly safe).

Many States have "reasonable and prudent" laws for speed control, so
driving over the posted limit isn't necessarily illegal, as long as
your speed is still reasonable and prudent. However, speeding tickets
are a source of revenue, and this is often allowed to override
considerations of fairness and justice.

Old December 29th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

In driving, there is no training or certification one can take in order to
drive 70MPH on a 55MPH road. The limitation is for one and all.

.... which is my point. Driving is set to the lowest common denomenator.
Flying is set to the highest standard.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 29th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

Mxsmanic wrote:

Jose writes:

But it is illegal to drive at 70 when the posted speed limit
is 55 (which it is for many places where 70 is perfectly safe).

Many States have "reasonable and prudent" laws for speed control, so
driving over the posted limit isn't necessarily illegal, as long as
your speed is still reasonable and prudent. However, speeding tickets
are a source of revenue, and this is often allowed to override
considerations of fairness and justice.

Name one.

Ron Lee

Dual glide slope, $95...priceless! Jack Allison Owning 20 October 22nd 06 03:45 AM
Priceless Tugs kojak Owning 0 August 9th 05 10:25 PM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan Pechs1 Naval Aviation 34 March 7th 04 06:27 AM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan BUFDRVR Military Aviation 15 February 28th 04 04:17 PM
Priceless in Afganistan breyfogle Military Aviation 18 February 24th 04 05:54 AM