What was the last stupid thing you did?

Old June 16th 05, 02:53 AM
George Patterson

Peter Duniho wrote:

Is it possible you mean Teterboro?

I've never heard of Tedabero. At first I thought it was just a typo, but
you've spelled the name that way several times now.

Why pick on that? He can't spell anything else either.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 16th 05, 04:09 AM
Peter Duniho

"George Patterson" wrote in message
I've never heard of Tedabero. At first I thought it was just a typo, but
you've spelled the name that way several times now.

Why pick on that? He can't spell anything else either.

Because I'm honestly not clear on what airport he's talking about. At this
point, I think it's very LIKELY to be Teterboro. But unlike some of his
other misspellings, place names are not immediately obvious as misspellings.
All I know for sure is that he's misspelled the name; it could be a
misspelling of some place else entirely.

Of course, if he'd just post the actual ID rather than making one up
("TRI"), we'd know for sure. But he seems incapable of doing that as well.

If I were actually "picking" on him, I'd write something like "you idiot,
why don't you spell-check your posts?" But I think it's a waste of time to
make editorial comments about other people's spelling (as I mentioned just
recently in another thread).

I just want to know for sure what place he's talking about. Of course, at
this point I'm questioning why I really care. But there you have it.

Pete

Old June 16th 05, 04:37 AM
W P Dixon

Well,
When you say TRI, which it was not and then a town no one knows....makes
me wonder if he knows where he is? Also makes me wonder if the person is a
pilot. Wouldn't a pilot know the airport he was just at? It just has not
made any sense, IMHO. Maybe this is the next 150 pilot to get escorted by
the USAF,...they will be happy to give directions ! I'm with ya Pete ,
don't have a clue why I am even following this one!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 16th 05, 07:56 AM
Rob

Peter Duniho wrote:
I just want to know for sure what place he's talking about. Of course, at
this point I'm questioning why I really care. But there you have it.

I notice Google Groups has no history on this dude, but his "style"
somehow seems familiar. I wonder if he's changing the place names in
his story because he's worried about getting in trouble for running out
of gas on short final. Perhaps he's taken some grief from members of
the group here in the past for something he admitted doing that he
shouldn't have, say perhaps rolling a Cessna 150 or some such. Maybe
he's not from the east coast at all. Maybe he's actually a PILOT up in
the NW somewhere.

I'll bet his real name is Steven though.

Just a hunch.

-R

Old June 16th 05, 08:13 PM
John Larson

Read this post.

"STEVEN SIMPSON" wrote in message
I flew up to Tri city airport from central virginia in a 172 rg whith a
full load and just enogh fuel for the trip.Guess what happend on short
final?Good thing I am up to speed on dead stick.Anyone else have a close
call they learned a valuable lesson from.You know; the one you don't tell
you flying buddies about.

Old June 19th 05, 07:14 PM
Mike

I like the periodic confession threads .. I learn a bit from these. And
for some types of learning, repetition is good. :-)

My last stupid error was when I was a student (about two months ago)
landing a C172 dead stick with 40 degrees of flaps in. Oh yeah, and the
light crosswind. (Yes, there is a placard for this.) This was while
practicing for the checkride - the word was out that the examiner was
big on dead stick landings.

After getting it on the ground I was pretty happy. That's when I felt
my rear lift up and the nose start to head down. I don't quite know how
I danced through the swerve - I imagine it involved a lot of back
pressure and *not* touching the brakes.

After sitting at the FBO and thinking about it a few minutes I came to
the conclusion that the wind had shifted on me. The ASOS report was
close to an hour old and even though I flew the entire pattern 2 or
three times, I had not cross checked with the wind sock. My second
mistake was to not hold enough backpressure during the landing roll. My
third mistake probably was to have the controls in the wrong position
during taxi because I was unaware of the wind direction.

Neither error is a crisis in itself. In combination, I nearly had a
bent prop.

Lesson learned. I'm much more vigilant about cross checking the wind
sock when I'm on downwind and holding backpressure until the plane is at
safe taxi speed. I don't think the light crosswind was affecting my
elevator control, but that's been burned into the back of my eyes now too.

Mike (PP-ASEL)
Old June 21st 05, 03:11 AM
Flyingmonk

The last stupid thing I did was wasting 35 mins. of my time reading
every single response in this post. I really did, I timed myself too!

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone