We Are All Spaniards

Old March 27th 04, 10:52 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Their local media (often state sponsored) for one; their academia for

two.

And in the Middle East at least, their priests.

Quite so; a most nefarious triad.

Old March 27th 04, 10:55 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
In neither Germany and Japan were there
multiple, imbedded groups of armed, organized opponents to the
installed regimes, with worldwide networks of financial and logistical
support.

The Germans still managed to run a very efficient and effective

underground,
smuggling ex-Nazi officials to South America, and the Japanese managed to
retain their system of economic favoritism, which amounted to an economic
underground.

German and Japanese acquiescence was due partly to the fact that they were
so thoroughly and utterly defeated that there was simply no "fight" left

in
them. Maybe that's what will be necessary in this war, too?

Which is why I obliquely pointed out (in another post) the difference
between the "total war" of WW2 and the limited war we're fighting today.

That is our intent in Iraq. My prediction is that it will not work.

I fear you may be right, but it is our duty to try. The alternatives are
simply not acceptable.

I'd give the odds at no better than 10:1 until there's a significant
cultural change in the Middle East.

Old March 27th 04, 11:04 PM
Dylan Smith

In article yCf9c.106480$_w.1340711@attbi_s53, Jay Honeck wrote:
opposed to freedom and democracy. Worse, they feel it is their duty to
assimilate -- or destroy -- non-believers.

I think that's generally been true of most religions, at least at one
time or other. Religious fanaticisim of nearly any kind is usually not a
good thing.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 27th 04, 11:09 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Not until we get over our hang-ups over nuclear energy will we have any
chance of kicking our oil habit, and we have to make a lot of big
improvements in nuclear energy first as well. Sort of hard since with
every passing year, society gets even more anti-nuclear power.

I don't worry too much about this.

For the moment, the anti-nuke crowd controls the dialogue, simply because
there is no compelling reason to adapt nuclear energy. For 95% of the
population, the energy debate is a non-starter, and totally off of their
radar screens, because energy is cheap and plentiful.

Much the same perspective about power cells. The technology is there and
growing, but the stimulus of shortages will give it a boost.

From Ballard Power Systems FAQ: http://www.ballard.com/faq.asp?#2
----------------
When will fuel cell cars be available to the general public?
Ballard’s automotive customers have said they will begin market introduction
of commercial hydrogen-fueled fuel cell vehicles, in limited volumes,
between 2010 and 2012.

We are already seeing the limited introduction of fuel cell vehicles into
fleet demonstrations in the United States, Europe and Japan. These vehicles
will need to demonstrate their ability to compete against the internal
combustion engine in terms of performance, reliability and durability before
being available to the public.
---------------------

Old March 27th 04, 11:13 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article yCf9c.106480$_w.1340711@attbi_s53, Jay Honeck wrote:
opposed to freedom and democracy. Worse, they feel it is their duty to
assimilate -- or destroy -- non-believers.

I think that's generally been true of most religions, at least at one
time or other. Religious fanaticisim of nearly any kind is usually not a
good thing.

Except in the Hadith and Qur’an, it's EXPLICIT!

Old March 27th 04, 11:15 PM
Dan Luke

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
You said, and I quote "But Iraqis ARE the opposition, too, with
the help of all sorts of foreign scoundrels that have flocked to Iraq
since the war." Sounds like your lumping ALL Iraqi's together (or
did you snip too much?).

I'm sorry, I just don't see how pointing out that there are Iraqis on
two different sides of a conflict lumps them all together. Perhaps you
could explain.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 27th 04, 11:16 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Tom Sixkiller wrote:
Hydrogen is an energy storage medium, not a source.
The hydrogen comes
from oil, and you lose some of the oil's energy in the process.

Misleading and/or just plain wrong.

Why is it wrong?

If hydrogen is an energy source, where are the hydrogen wells/collection
facilities? Answer: there are none.
Hydrogen either must be obtained by breaking chemical bonds in oil
(therefore using oil), or breaking the chemical bonds in water (with,
for example, electrolysis). Breaking chemical bonds takes energy and
resources. There just isn't a bunch of hydrogen floating around for us
to extract - the hydrogen is all bonded to some other atom (bummer).

Or do you have a marvellous scheme for breaking the laws of
thermodynamics?

Old March 27th 04, 11:18 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Tom Sixkiller wrote:
So they cram in twice the crap. Hell, our commercials are better then BBC
TV.

Well, I have to wonder why US tv has had to buy so many show formats
from the BBC, then.

Old March 27th 04, 11:24 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Tom Sixkiller wrote:
The BBC quite happily reports the improvements, as well as the bad
stuff.

Absolute Bull****!!!

If that's absolute bull****, why did the PM programme on Radio 4 last
week have a substantial article on how things have improved in Iraq last
week? Why have they been mentioning improvements in the general life of
Iraqis, including interviews with people living there on several
occasions over the last few weeks?

You are clueless, I'm afraid.

Old March 27th 04, 11:39 PM
S Green

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Tom Sixkiller wrote:
The BBC quite happily reports the improvements, as well as the bad
stuff.

Absolute Bull****!!!

If that's absolute bull****, why did the PM programme on Radio 4 last
week have a substantial article on how things have improved in Iraq last
week? Why have they been mentioning improvements in the general life of
Iraqis, including interviews with people living there on several
occasions over the last few weeks?

You are clueless, I'm afraid.

Dylan,

Have you only just worked that out or have you just been taking the **** out