Lessons learned from the Oregon tragedy

Old December 10th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Lessons learned from the Oregon tragedy

He was so cold by the time he started to think about
survival shelter and a fire he couldn't think and didn't use
the 50 gallons of kerosene, or the gasoline he had on the
sled and in the snowmobile.

Once hypothermia sets in, you are on very dangerous ground. Typically
a person will start doing very irrational things like throw their
jacket away, or in this case, forget about the kerosene.

I've both read that from reliable sources and heard the same from a former
coworker who was simply lucky enouth to be rescued in time.

Also included in my coworker's story was that he had ceased feeling cold,
and that the snow started to look warm and comfortable.

Peter

Old December 10th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Also, ski clothes are designed to keep you cool as your
exercise very hard on the down hill runs.

"Jim Macklin" wrote
in message ...
| Ski clothes are NOT designed for wilderness survival, but
| mobility and aerodynamics. Hunting and mountain climbing
| clothes are designed to keep your body warm, dry and as a
| layer system. Some hunting clothes are designed to be
hard
| to see, but visibility is enhanced with blaze vests and
| mountain climbing stuff often has many bright colors so
| climbers can be seen and identified by color.
|

| "Peter Dohm" wrote in message
|| It seems that I forgot to read my post one last time
after
| editing, with the
|| result that I left out the main point--my own
| unsuccessfull outfitting was
|| for a ski trip some years ago. (The poor choices and
| usage are only
|| annoying at a ski resort, but dissastrous in the
| wilderness.) The parapragh
|| sould have read:
|| ----------
|| With respect to the clothing issues, it is true that they
| were
|| underequipped. However, having shopped for cold weather
| gear in an area
|| that doesn't receive cold weather, I am inclined to judge
| less harshly.
|| Those boots that were supposed to be the cat's pajamas
can
| be annoying at a
|| ski resort, since you can't walk around outside as far as
| you planned, and
|| the rest of the outerwear that you used incorrectly may
| cause you to "catch
|| your death"; but a bottle of wine and a long soak in the
| hot tub will
|| probably cure all that ails you. OTOH, in the
wilderness,

Old December 10th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

NASA TV too, you get the heads up display on shuttle
approach and landings.

"Newps" wrote in message

| wrote:
|

| Unless you're into reality TV, television is just
terrible.

| Military channel, History, Discovery, Discovery Times,
TLC. There's a

Old December 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Hypoxia and freezing to death are both said to be the best
way to go, except for being exhausted by a team of Swedish
bikini ski team girls.

Old December 10th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

If your car is white or brown or green, carry a blaze orange
or lime green space blanket and use it as a car cover, will
help keep the warmer at night and really stand out in the
day time.

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message

| With respect to the clothing issues, it is true that
they were
| underequipped. However, having shopped for cold
weather gear in an area
| that doesn't receive cold weather, I am inclined to
judge less harshly.
| Those boots that were supposed to be the cat's pajamas
can be annoying,
| since you can't walk around outside as far as you
planned, and the rest
| of
| the outerwear that you used incorrectly may cause you
to "catch your
| death";
| but a bottle of wine and a long soak in the hot tub
will probably cure
| all
| that ails you. OTOH, in the wilderness, a lot of
incorrectly
| recommended
| clothing (or simply inexperience) is a severe
handicap!

| You don't need giant muk luks. A good hiking boot would
have been a
| tremendous asset. Hunting boots would have been better
yet and snow
| boots the best, With tennis shoes his feet were frozen
10 minutes after
| he left the car. Any hat that covers the ears would
have been a huge
| difference. Any mittens or gloves likewise. To drive
into the
| mountains without those was reckless. To leave the car
without those
| was a death sentence.
|
| All agreed, having learned a little from my ignorance
years ago, except
| possibly the last item. If the car was white, or any
earth tone, then I

Old December 10th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jim Macklin wrote:

You don't starve in six days. You can run out of water, but
cold exposure is more likely. Was anybody looking for the
person you spoke about?

What part of sixty didn't you understand? :-)

Matt