O2 Concentrator instead of O2 tank

Old December 4th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default O2 Concentrator instead of O2 tank

Nathan Young writes:

Changing subjects slightly - what kind of maintenance is required on
an oxygen concentrator? Does the zeolite need to be replaced every so
often? I scanned the webpages of a few manufacturers, and it appears
to be a relatively maintenance free product.

Air filters need to be changed periodically. The zeolite lasts
indefinitely.

Old December 4th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Bill Denton" wrote

I believe airline cabin pressure is somewhat below 10,000 ft...

It can be set at anything the pilots want.

Not true, it is limited by the amount of differential pressure the plane can
take.

It is normal to operate at a cabin pressure of 8,000 ft and a pressure
differential across the aircraft skin is normally designed not to exceed 8-9
psi.

As far as partial pressures are concerned, its the partial pressure in the
lungs that matters.

At sea level the partial pressure of oxygen in the atmosphere is 160 mm Hg
yet in the lungs it is only 103 mm Hg. At 10,000 ft that drops to 55 mm Hg
which is considered the minimum for normal operations. Above cabin
altitudes of 10,000 ft oxygen needs to be added to the pilots air supply.
The oxygen which is added should be enough to maintain a pressure of oxygen
in the lungs (alveolar partial pressure) of 103 mm Hg.

At lower levels less oxygen will need to be added but as altitude increases
more will need to be added. A stage will be reached when the 100% oxygen is
required to maintain the 103 mm Hg. This is reached at about 33,700 ft.

After this whilst breathing 100% oxygen one can continue to operate
normally with an alveolar partial pressure of 55 mm Hg (equivalent to
breathing air at 10,000 ft). This is reached at 40,000 ft. From here
oxygen needs to be supplied under pressure.

Summary

Upto 10,000 ft air only
10,000 - 33,700 ft Oxygen/air mix
33,700 - 40,000 ft 100% oxygen
40,000 + 100% Oxygen under pressure

Old December 4th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Chris" wrote

Not true, it is limited by the amount of differential pressure the plane can
take.

Well, duh.
--
Jim in NC
Old December 4th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris W

Morgans wrote:

"Chris" wrote

Not true, it is limited by the amount of differential pressure the
plane can take.

Well, duh.

Well said

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old December 4th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Does anyone use an oxygen concentrator to supply pilot and passengers
in a light plane flying over 14000 feet? A quick google did not turn
up anything but home units and a recent ruling that they can be used on
commercial airlines, but I did not find anything about their use on
private planes.

They don't require more than about 100 watts, so an aircraft electrical
system could keep them going as long as the engine was running.
Internal batteries would keep it alive in an emergency.

Changing subjects slightly - what kind of maintenance is required on
an oxygen concentrator? Does the zeolite need to be replaced every so
often? I scanned the webpages of a few manufacturers, and it appears
to be a relatively maintenance free product.

Anyway, it seems an interesting concept to use an O2 concentrator vs
bottle in the plane.

There is some periodic maintenance of the zeolite "beds", although I don't
know exactly what or how. And of course that is in additional to the
periodic inspection of pumps, valves, filters, etc. However, there is
little question that the O2 concentrators are both lighter and more
economical than bottled O2 when used extensively or frequently.

Peter

Old December 5th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 10:38:45 -0500, in
, Peter R. wrote:
I flew at 14,000 once with O2 for myself and co-pilot only and the boy in
the back seat vomited into a bag about halfway into the trip.

I've never encountered that as a symptom of altitude induced hypoxia...
Seems that the only thing that I've encountered come to think of it is
that the people that are not on O2 just get sleepy and quit bothering me...
Old December 5th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

I flew at 14,000 once with O2 for myself and co-pilot only and the boy
in
the back seat vomited into a bag about halfway into the trip.

I've never encountered that as a symptom of altitude induced hypoxia...
Seems that the only thing that I've encountered come to think of it is
that the people that are not on O2 just get sleepy and quit bothering

me...

I used to think that as well, but very reliable sources have told me that
headaches and nausea are also frequently encountered--although not as
commonly as sleepiness.

Peter

Old December 5th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Grumman-581 writes:

I've never encountered that as a symptom of altitude induced hypoxia...

Vomiting alone sounds more like airsickness.

Old December 5th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Peter Dohm writes:

I used to think that as well, but very reliable sources have told me that
headaches and nausea are also frequently encountered--although not as
commonly as sleepiness.

A headache is a very common symptom of altitude sickness, although
headaches have many other causes as well. Vomiting can be a symptom
of altitude sickness, but it can also be due to motion sickness, and
vomiting, too, has many other causes. Vomiting by itself may or may
not be altitude sickness; it's not a very specific symptom.

Old December 5th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Chris wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message
"Bill Denton" wrote

I believe airline cabin pressure is somewhat below 10,000 ft...

It can be set at anything the pilots want.

Not true, it is limited by the amount of differential pressure the plane can
take.

The certification requirement is that the cabin altitude be no
higher than 8,000 feet. On later aircraft, the pressurization
is pretty much a "set the destination altitude" and don't mess
with it. Back in the old days of flight engineers it took a
bit more management.

The new 787 I believe is being designed with both a lower cabin
altitude and also increased humidity for passenger comfort.

wing tank fuel guage D H Home Built 7 October 18th 06 03:32 AM
My Ercoupe is flyin' again... (long) Greg B Owning 13 August 30th 06 12:01 AM
Night bombers interception in Western Europe in 1944 Bernardz Military Aviation 205 July 22nd 04 05:31 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM