GA is priceless

Old December 29th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default GA is priceless

OK Jay, you have tolerated this guy, and have been one of the most open
minded and welcoming of the "regulars" on this NG.

Do you still feel the same way, or are you rolling your eyes or gnashing
your teeth yet at his imbecilic replies? I find it pretty intolerable to
accept responses from a person who admits that they are afraid to fly, yet
somehow makes pronouncements like a 5,000 hour pro.(example: "straight in
approaches are OK")

You're probably right in not responding, but I guess I'm more intolerant of
idiots and lunacy. I suppose it's better to feel sorry for him and accept
him for what he is, but when he argues with no factual basis, it becomes
hard to take.

I guess that's newsgroup at it's worst. It sure was nice not seeing his
posts for a few days.

Old December 29th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

You're probably right in not responding, but I guess I'm more intolerant of
idiots and lunacy. I suppose it's better to feel sorry for him and accept
him for what he is, but when he argues with no factual basis, it becomes
hard to take.

I do feel sorry for him. He's built a reality that only he can
appreciate, and a strange intolerance for something he apparently
loves. Why in the world someone would want to emulate flying without
ever really *doing* it is simply beyond my comprehension.

But the world is full of interesting folks, and anything that confuses
me I usually find difficult to ignore. So, I keep swinging for the
fence.

MX is obviously not stupid, yet his responses are stubbornly illogical
at times. In my experience with the public I have found that this
trait isn't unusual -- so perhaps I'm just more used to it than you
are?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 29th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Why in the world someone would want to emulate flying without
ever really *doing* it is simply beyond my comprehension.

Well, I might prefer to emulate Indy 500 racing than actually doing it.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 29th 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ron Lee writes:

Name one.

California, which is the model for a number of other States. Others
include Arizona, Texas, Utah, and Rhode Island.

In these States, exceeding a posted speed limit may be taken as prima
facie evidence of speeding, but it is not actually illegal. A person
cited for speeding under this type of statute may successfully defend
against the citation by demonstrating that his speed was in fact
reasonable and prudent for conditions despite being above the posted
speed limit.

There are also absolute limits, which may be universal in some States,
but may apply only to certain situations in others. For example, in
Arizona, speed limits in school zones and on highways are absolute,
but most others are subject to the "reasonable and prudent" law.

Old December 29th 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jose writes:

... which is my point. Driving is set to the lowest common denomenator.
Flying is set to the highest standard.

If flying were set to the highest standard, you wouldn't need a
special rating to fly IFR. Instead, "non-IFR" would be a special
restriction applied only to those pilots who had demonstrated their
inability to fly IFR.

Old December 29th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Ron Lee" wrote)
We have a snow period now and I need some...

(NAC) Necessary Aviation Content:
"Super absorbent, designed with wings to fit the way..."

Mont-don't-eat-that-yellow-snow-Black
46 years in Minnesota and I have NO IDEA what a snow period is? g

Old December 29th 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Why in the world someone would want to emulate flying without
ever really *doing* it is simply beyond my comprehension.

Perhaps because you assume that flying in reality is unconditionally
preferable to flying in simulation. However, just as flying for real
has advantages that simulation does not, flying in simulation has
advantages that flying for real does not. Thus, it's entirely to be
expected that some people would prefer simulation to real flight.

I've given examples before, but I can repeat a few. One example is
that flying for real actually requires that one go somewhere. For
people who don't like to travel or commute, this is a huge drawback to
flying for real. Simulation takes you nowhere in real-world terms,
and so it's ideal if you don't actually want to go anywhere.
Simulation allows you to fly without paying the price of actually
moving from place to place, with all the inconveniences that the
latter brings.

Old December 29th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jose writes:

Well, I might prefer to emulate Indy 500 racing than actually doing it.

Quite so, and many people do just that. Examples of simulation being
preferred over the real thing are legion. Many people enjoy
first-person shooter games, but have no desire to shoot or be shot at
in real life. Many people enjoy virtual football play, but have no
desire to play football for real. The list goes on and on.

Nothing makes real flying inherently superior to simulation as a
hobby. It all depends on what you want, and how well that matches
what you get.

Old December 29th 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

Montblack schrieb:

46 years in Minnesota and I have NO IDEA what a snow period is? g

maybe red snow? *pehehehe*

scnr, #m
--
I am not a terrorist http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old December 29th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Chaddock

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jose writes:

Well, I might prefer to emulate Indy 500 racing than actually doing it.

Quite so, and many people do just that. Examples of simulation being
preferred over the real thing are legion. Many people enjoy
first-person shooter games, but have no desire to shoot or be shot at
in real life. Many people enjoy virtual football play, but have no
desire to play football for real. The list goes on and on.

Nothing makes real flying inherently superior to simulation as a
hobby. It all depends on what you want, and how well that matches
what you get.

One would think you've never flown in a *real* light aircraft...nothing
making real flying inherently superior to simulation...sheesh.
Ever had the wind in your face at 75 knots in a open cockpit bi-plane ?
Ever had that *wonderful* experience of an engine-out 50 miles from the
nearest airstrip ? Ever had the dizyiny execeleration of spinning in a
*real* aircraft ? Ever experienced the sudden terror of realizing that
you're in a sprial dive and rapidly nearing Vne ?
I've been in a "couple" of simulators in my time but have yet to find
one that can simulate a loop or an Himmelman...and let's not even talk
about "games" like Flight Simulator !

....Ken

Dual glide slope, $95...priceless! Jack Allison Owning 20 October 22nd 06 03:45 AM
Priceless Tugs kojak Owning 0 August 9th 05 10:25 PM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan Pechs1 Naval Aviation 34 March 7th 04 06:27 AM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan BUFDRVR Military Aviation 15 February 28th 04 04:17 PM
Priceless in Afganistan breyfogle Military Aviation 18 February 24th 04 05:54 AM