How Good a Replica?

Old December 24th 03, 09:56 PM
Chad Irby

Merlin Dorfman wrote:

Cub Driver ) wrote:

: N912JT is Assigned

: Assigned/Registered Aircraft Aircraft Description

: Serial Number 7724 Type Registration Individual
: Manufacturer Name MARRON MICHAEL J Certificate Issue Date
: 01/10/2003
: Model PEGASUS 912 Status Valid
: Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
: Pending Number Change None Dealer No
: Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 53117363
: MFR Year 2000 Fractional Owner NO

AeroWeb seems to be off the air...where do you find information
on aircraft by registration number?

It's a microlight trike. What else do you need to know? He's talked
about it before.

Sure, the FAA uses the words "experimental" and "glider," but it's a
fairly standard machine made by a company in the UK. Pretty nice for a
"homebuilt," actually.

http://www.pegasus-usa.com/quantum.htm

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old December 24th 03, 09:57 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dave Holford" wrote in message

Much to my surprise my dictionary defines a replica as "a duplicate of a
work made by the original artist".

replica

n : something that has been replicated

replicate

v : to duplicate, copy, reproduce, or repeat

Old December 25th 03, 12:24 AM
Mike Marron

Chad Irby wrote:

It's a microlight trike. What else do you need to know? He's talked
about it before.

Except, my microlight trike happens to be a) N-numbered and b)
powered by a 4-stroke, 80 hp engine. Extremely rare, and very unique
(that's why I can't seem to help myself:

Sure, the FAA uses the words "experimental" and "glider," but it's a
fairly standard machine made by a company in the UK. Pretty nice for a
"homebuilt," actually.

You forgot to mention that, without a checkout from me (or some other
competent trike pilot) would literally KILL anyone_on_this_list.

Old December 25th 03, 03:35 AM
Dave Holford

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Dave Holford" wrote in message

Much to my surprise my dictionary defines a replica as "a duplicate of a
work made by the original artist".

replica

n : something that has been replicated

replicate

v : to duplicate, copy, reproduce, or repeat

Steve,

I know you have to have the last word, so I'm going to wait for Santa to
deliver my porsche. Hopefully it won't be an 'imitation'.

Dave
Old December 25th 03, 03:58 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mike Marron" wrote in message

You forgot to mention that, without a checkout from me (or some other
competent trike pilot) would literally KILL anyone_on_this_list.

What a load of crap.

Old December 25th 03, 06:44 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
Mike Marron wrote:

Chad Irby wrote:

It's a microlight trike. What else do you need to know? He's talked
about it before.

Except, my microlight trike happens to be a) N-numbered and b)
powered by a 4-stroke, 80 hp engine. Extremely rare, and very unique
(that's why I can't seem to help myself:

Sure, the FAA uses the words "experimental" and "glider," but it's a
fairly standard machine made by a company in the UK. Pretty nice for a
"homebuilt," actually.

You forgot to mention that, without a checkout from me (or some other
competent trike pilot) would literally KILL anyone_on_this_list.

....and the same for most types of aircraft new to the pilot.

Like a sidecar on a motorcycle can kill someone who's just a two-wheel
rider. It's not because it's hard, it's because it's *different*.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old December 25th 03, 11:14 AM
Cub Driver

AeroWeb seems to be off the air...where do you find information
on aircraft by registration number?

I typed the N number into Google. I believe the first option was to
look up the record. (Possibly it was a paid ad?)

It's the FAA registry.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 25th 03, 11:16 AM
Cub Driver

One could make the argument that if it's done by
one of the original people it's not a replica at all, it's another original.

Good point!

(But on reflection I'm not sure it's true. Maybe it's one of those
things that depends on what the meaning of is is.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 25th 03, 11:21 AM
Cub Driver

Much to my surprise my dictionary defines a replica as "a duplicate of a
work made by the original artist".

The Shorter Oxford says it somewhat different: it's a duplicate OF A
WORK OF ART, ESPECIALLY one made by the original artist. There are two
distinctions he I don't think an airplane is a work of art, so this
definition doesn't apply. And the input by the original artist is
merely customary, not necessary.

As applied to an airplane, I reckon the next definition applies: "a
reproduction, a facsimile."

(The first definition is a musical term.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 25th 03, 11:49 PM
Mike Marron

Chad Irby wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

You forgot to mention that, without a checkout from me (or some other
competent trike pilot) would literally KILL anyone_on_this_list.

...and the same for most types of aircraft new to the pilot.

My point exactly!

Like a sidecar on a motorcycle can kill someone who's just a two-wheel
rider. It's not because it's hard, it's because it's *different*.

It can quickly get to be "hard" flying trikes (adverse weather). And
the ground handling of trikes in gusty winds quite frankly sucks. One
of the reason trikes are unlike any other aircraft is because
possessing upper-body physical strength is a not just a definite
advantage, but in some instances (i.e: turbulence, gust fronts,
thunderstorms, etc.) the amount of strength and endurance the pilot
has can literally mean the difference between life and death. To
my fellow GA pilot's amazement, I'll go up in anything a small,
single-engine GA plane is capable of going up in, but when the
weather is really bad I just know that my pilot skills will be tested
to the limit and anticipate having a good workout.

Try it yourself, sometime. The most fun with clothes on!