How much do you trim?

Old October 11th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default How much do you trim?

Ron Wanttaja writes:

Because no matter who responds, you're getting the answer filtered through their
senses and experience.

True, but with enough responses, I can average it all out and get a
pretty accurate picture. Some things cancel out, and others
reinforce. If everyone says X, but nobody agrees on Y, then X is a
pretty good rule, but Y is not.

Five minutes in an aircraft
would allow you to understand the issues of trim, from both a conscious and
muscle-memory perspective.

And a few hours in a 737 simulator would teach me a lot about that
aircraft. But neither of these things is likely to happen any time
soon.

Old October 11th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Dave Stadt writes:

He doesn't have a simulator he has a Microsoft game. Saw an ad on TV last
night for their new verson and it was advertised as a game.

Games make more money than simulators. Initial reports are that the
latest version has shifted a bit more towards a game, apparently to
broaden the market. All the more reason to stay with the previous
version.

Old October 11th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Dylan Smith writes:

Is pay really that low in France?

Low pay is only part of it. It's a long story.

Old October 11th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

If you really have this much interest in real aircraft $49 would be worth
every penny even if it was for less than 20 minutes.

It takes two days for me to earn $49.

Old October 11th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

RK Henry writes:

Dangerous advice. For an introductory price you get addicted and find
yourself with an aviation habit and can't stop.

That is a risk that has occurred to me as well. And I definitely
cannot afford an expensive addiction like that.

Old October 11th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

A Lieberma writes:

How would the controls be linked if they were not mechanically done so???
Osmosis?????

Fly-by-wire.

In the real world, everything is connected mechanically in some manner,
shape or form.

See above.

Old October 11th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Stewart

Mxsmanic wrote:

RK Henry writes:

Dangerous advice. For an introductory price you get addicted and find
yourself with an aviation habit and can't stop.

That is a risk that has occurred to me as well. And I definitely
cannot afford an expensive addiction like that.

LOL

A friend of mine turned down a ride on a
high-performance helicopter because "It might
cause me to make a bad career decision"

Old October 11th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Cubdriver usenet AT danford.net writes:

I trim for level flight after I've finished the climb. Most of the
time that's full forward, and sometimes full forward isn't enough and
I hold a bit of forward stick.

Why do you need full forward for level flight? Doesn't that imply a
badly placed center of gravity? If the aircraft is just that way, it
sounds a bit dangerous if you have to hold it like that just to stay
level.

If you let go with neutral trim, what happens?

I did some training at Chandler AZ in a Super Cub, and the instructor
insisted that I stop trimming on landing. I didn't like it much, and
as soon as I was alone I reverted to going to neutral trim on every
downwind. (I suppose he was having me adjust the power on each leg of
the pattern, so I was adjusting trim on downwind, base, and final.)

See, if I spend time adjusting trim during those phases of flight, I
lose track of everything else. I suppose it might be easier to adjust
trim on some real aircraft, but from what I've seen of the placement
of trim controls, it doesn't seem likely. I'd be afraid of getting
distracted by trim when I should be looking at other things, like the
tree approaching my windshield.

No rudder or aileron trim on the Cub.

What about torque effects and stuff like that?

Old October 11th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Jim Stewart writes:

A friend of mine turned down a ride on a
high-performance helicopter because "It might
cause me to make a bad career decision"

I think I know exactly what he means. The risk of addiction is
probably low, but since I can't even pay my rent these days, it's
still too high a risk to take.

Old October 11th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

A Lieberma writes:

How would the controls be linked if they were not mechanically done
so??? Osmosis?????

Fly-by-wire.

Excuse me?????? WRONG AGAIN.

Look up in Google fly by wire. Nothing to do with the rigging of controls.

You know I am in a nice mood tonight. Check out
http://www.google.com/search?
hl=en&lr=&defl=en&q=define:Fly+by+wire&sa=X&oi=glo ssary_definition&ct=title

In the real world, everything is connected mechanically in some
manner, shape or form.

See above.

WRONG AGAIN. See above.

Sheeze, when will you learn to stick with your games and leave this group
for REAL PILOTS that fly REAL PLANES.

I have yet to find anything of value in your postings since I keep typing
WRONG AGAIN on just about every one of your response.

Allen