A little positive GA news coverage

Old January 2nd 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default A little positive GA news coverage

Jay Honeck wrote in news:06f67c8f-e08f-4230-8092-
:

repetitive, single-word responses (as in
Bertie's all-to-familar "****wit!") are simply not worth the
bandwidth.

So try and stop me Fjukkwit.

Oh wait, you have.

Not working out too good for you is it?

Bertie

Old January 2nd 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,news.admin.net-abuse.blacklisting,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.misc
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:39:17 -0800 (PST), Jay Honeck
wrote in
:

[suggestion that participants in rec.aviation.piloting move to
moderated web-based forum to escape the recent influx of noise
snipped]

But it's not Usenet.

Is that a bad thing?

To the extent that it spreads the participant contributed
informational content among several separate repositories, it
undermines locating the information sought in searches. If there is
only one central venue for participation, all users have access to all
information, and a single deja.com database query will return ALL
matching data. If there are many separate repositories, much
information will not be found even if several databases are
individually queried. Fractictionalizing the information in the name
of eliminating the chaff has a price.

But if all a participant wants to do is kibitz, without contributing
to a compilation of useful information, web-based forums may be
appropriate. As conceived, Usenet is for posting articles with
informational content, but the mechanism for educating its novice
participants (A mandatory visit to news.announce.newusers before being
able to post articles) has sadly disappeared.

[snip]

Happy New Year, Larry. I never thought I'd say this, but I really do
miss the days when the biggest aggravation here was you lecturing
against pilots drinking beer...

;-)

Of course I didn't do that, but I understand what you're saying.

As I recall, the source of the present influx of noise was at least
partially a result of some participant in this newsgroup suggesting
that we all bolster his voice-in-the-wilderness in arguing with
anti-noise zealots in another newsgroup. Action, reaction. Foolish.

There is a certain tyranny of the individual, such as those at the
head of the line, or the driver moving slower than the flow of traffic
on the road, who, though undeserving of it, finds he has the power to
bring a given system to its knees. Some ineffectual individuals
secretly revel in the joy of their power over others, some are just
oblivious to the result of their (in)actions, and some are mean and
angry at the world. But for whatever reason, they all need to be
shown the error of their ways by those who are negatively impacted;
you know, peer pressure. (Other, more imposing actions may be more
objectionable than the behavior they are attempting to quash.)

It's a clumsy process and often ineffective, but if a situation is to
improve, the perpetrator must be exposed, confronted and made to
suffer the wrath of ALL those who choose not to endure the tyranny of
the individual. As I see it, that, intervention by authorities, and
boredom are the only hope for change.

The true culprit in this case is alt.net who provide anonymous Usenet
posting under the thin guise of free-speech. (You'll notice that that
is the site, other than GoogleGroups, where most of the Usenet abuse
such as Mr. Bunny's and MI5's originates.

Alt.net is apparently immune to the normal remedies for rogue Usenet
nodes: revocation of access to upstream article injection servers,
Usenet Death Penalty, ... So it would take some sort of overwhelming,
coordinated effort by all those users negatively impacted by alt.net's
refusal to police spam, profane, and off-topic Usenet articles
emanating from the users licensed to use their system. The
administrator/owner of alt net is reveling in the power and attention
he enjoys as a tyrannical abuser of Usenet. But who possesses the
charisma and knowledge to effectively unite all the affected users to
actively participate in a unified action against alt.net? Alt.net
freely admits, that they don't read the abuse e-mail messages they
receive. I guess it takes all kinds ....

In over two decades of participation in Usenet, I've seen 'em come and
go. Unfortunately, the bad seem to drive out the good. Remember
George Patterson, Pete Duniho, Wally Roberts, John T. Lowry, John R.
Johnson, Wes Grady, Mary Shafer, ... ?
Old January 2nd 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:54:00 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote in :

I've used usenet for probably 20 years now and haven't tired of
it yet and the interface is inherently simple to use and most
newsreaders don't add unnecessary complication.

The most objectionable thing I find about web-based forums, other than
their potential ability to drain talent from Usenet, and the omission
of their content from deja.com searches, is the lack of a database of
articles that I've posted. I like to have an accurate record of what
I've posted.
Old January 2nd 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 16:13:36 -0800 (PST), "F. Baum"
wrote in
:

I only have the time and energy for one
list and this is it. The only reason I come here is to keep up with
what is going on with GA . I do alot of GA flying, but I dont read any
of the GA magazines. I appreciate some of the links and the insights
from other GA pilots. Id be happy just to lurk here but I got caught
up in the circus atmosphere.
Jay OTOH stikes me as one of these people who has to validate himself
by constantly parading his aviation exploits in front of everyone.

You, and indeed all of us, might consider also starting message
threads containing INFORMATION you are able to contribute. That is
the ONLY sure way to improve the newsgroup's signal-to-noise ratio.
Old January 2nd 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 00:07:45 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote in :

Isn't it time for everyone to develop some self discipline? How about
making that our combined new year's resolution?

What say ye all?

Aye!
Old January 2nd 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

wrote in :

Isn't it time for everyone to develop some self discipline? How about
making that our combined new year's resolution?

What say ye all?

Aye!

I'll beleive that when I see it.

You've got off to a bad start with the "me too" post there ljarry.

Bertie
Old January 2nd 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Honeck schrieb:

Agree. I belong to several aviation forums, and they all try to
"improve" upon the format of Usenet by adding lots of whiz-bang
features. (Avatars, buddy lists, etc.) Unfortunately, all of this
stuff just gobs up the works, and makes the real fun of posting and
reading posts more of a chore.

Ease of use is what keeps Usenet popular in the face of many other
options.

And this is why you use google-groups?

#m
--
I am not a terrorist http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old January 2nd 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Martin Hotze wrote in news:flggdu$mdr$3
@kirk.hotze.com:

Jay Honeck schrieb:

Agree. I belong to several aviation forums, and they all try to
"improve" upon the format of Usenet by adding lots of whiz-bang
features. (Avatars, buddy lists, etc.) Unfortunately, all of this
stuff just gobs up the works, and makes the real fun of posting and
reading posts more of a chore.

Ease of use is what keeps Usenet popular in the face of many other
options.

And this is why you use google-groups?

what else would he use?

Bertie