THE PILOT WHO WOULDN'T FLY

Old February 7th 04, 02:55 AM
BUFDRVR

You'll never know the intensity of feeling that goes along with hovering over
downed "single-seat fighter" pilot that is wet and alone in his raft, miles
out
to sea, knowing that you and your crew are going to save his soggy butt.

Can I get an Amen? I thought I had a real "hairy" Belgrade sortie one night
during OAF until I met one of the helicopter pilots who scooped up the downed
F-117 pilot, his story put mine to shame. From a bomber perspective, no F-16
pilot will know the thrill of dropping a half mile long string of weapons and
hearing the ETAC on the radio say you scattered the entire force that was
bearing down on him just minutes earlier.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 7th 04, 01:27 PM
BUFDRVR

Sure you have a great time at RED FLAG, but when it comes time for the real
deal,
you're a spectator.

Huh?

When's the last time a USAF F-15C shot down an enemy fighter? How many USAF
F-15C kills have there been since Desert Storm? I'm willing to bet I had more
sorties employing weapons during OAF then total USAF F-15C air-to-air kills in
all conflicts. Throw in the additional fact that there are well over 200 F-15C
and you can see that as far as actually shooting at someone in combat, if your
an F-5C pilot, your chances are very slim. On the other hand, if you're a B-52
crewmember and aren't in the middle of upgrade, initial qual training or away
at SOS, and a conflict arises that lasts more than 90 days, you are sure to
drop weapons "in anger". This is not to say the F-15C is not doing an important
mission. Its mere presence deters enemy fighters from even attempting to mess
with a strike package. However, I'd rather have a more solid, tangible
contribution.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 7th 04, 03:15 PM
George Z. Bush

"Krztalizer" wrote in message

That's a big difference though. It's beyond me why anyone would
choose a multi-engined bomber, trash hauler, whirlybird, or whatever
vis a vis a single-seat fighter (or a single-seat *anything*).

You'll never know the intensity of feeling that goes along with hovering over

downed "single-seat fighter" pilot that is wet and alone in his raft, miles

out
to sea, knowing that you and your crew are going to save his soggy butt. All
flying is good and not everyone belongs on the far side of mach 1, but that
doesn't mean those of us on this side didn't have very bit as much fun, or as
much job satisfaction.

Just a thought.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Thanks, Gord, you took the words right out of my mouth.

George Z.
(USAF - Air Rescue Service)

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old February 7th 04, 06:19 PM
BUFDRVR

The only difference in plying our unique trades is
that my "wingmen" fly in the same jet with me.

Must make formation approaches a whole lot easier.

Depends on who your "wingman" is...

I disagree. The only difference is I use the intercom vis the radio to
coordinate with my team.

Must make NORDO communication a whole lot harder. Wing dips, tail
shakes and hand signals probably don't get noticed in the backseats.

Very true. Since the intercom is the primary means of transmitting the bailout
order, loss of it usually means those without flight controls get an uneasy
feeling.

Carried double digits of iron quite regularly. Still, I think I'd be a
bit apprehensive if I had to engage a MiG while carrying those
many-digits in a BUFF.

Nahh, you can run away nearly as easy with or without weapons (altitude
dependant).

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 7th 04, 06:25 PM
BUFDRVR

Why you ask? Well, if I have
to explain, you wouldn't understand...

No need to explain, despite their rather passive performance in the latest
conflicts, I've yet to meet an Eagle pilot trying to get an assignment as a
BUFF pilot. It must be brain damage resulting from too many 7 G turns

Bottom line, there are people who choose aviation as a career for several
reasons, you'll likely find as many happy KC-135 crewmembers as happy Eagle
pilots, and an equal disgruntled. The key is to find your place. Luckily for
me, I always dreamed about hauling lots of explosives and the reality hasn't
dissappointed one bit.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"