High or low wing?

Old May 10th 04, 02:09 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"C. Paul Williams, MD" wrote:

As to the "doctor killer"...I think that applies more to the
egotistical specialties like surgery, and I'm just a poor country
radiologist.

The term "doctor killer" comes from the fact that Beech aircraft are expensive to buy
and own and the Bonanza can easily get away from a pilot who's a bit rusty. Doctors
made up a disproportionate percentage of the ownership because they could afford the
plane. They also are extremely busy people and tended to not have enough time to fly
enough to handle the Bo safely, so they also made up a disproportionate percentage of
the accident statistics.

Whether you're a surgeon or a statistician, the plane will bite you if you don't keep
in practice. Being poor, on the other hand, would tend to steer you away from it
anyway.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old May 10th 04, 02:13 AM
G.R. Patterson III

tony wrote:

I wonder, for equal performance, if low winged airplanes aren't a bit more
efficient?

I doubt it. The 172 performs better on less power than a PA-28 from the same year.

Old May 10th 04, 02:33 AM
Peter Gottlieb

Why do so many people equate the position of the wings to one's "manliness?"

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Why do so many Cherokee drivers extol the "manliness" of low wing

airplanes.

Because they have an inferiority complex that makes them proclaim

characteristics
they do not actually have.

Old May 10th 04, 02:48 AM
Jay Honeck

That must have been before universal health care (in most rich countries)
and HMOs + sky-high malpractice insurance premiums (in the U.S.).

Various resources on the 'net list a physician's average income as ranging
anywhere from $129K to $255K annually.

I think they can probably eke a Bonanza or Cirrus payment out of that each
month.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 04, 02:54 AM
G. Burkhart

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
t...
Why do so many people equate the position of the wings to one's

"manliness?"

Do your wings hang high
Do your wings hang low
Does your nose have a wheel
Or your tail drag below...

Old May 10th 04, 03:08 AM
Jay Honeck

Why do so many people equate the position of the wings to one's
"manliness?"

Um, because it's *funny*?

Actually, I think the first observation of the studly nature of low wing
pilots was made by Jim Fisher, who first reported the connection way back in
1998 or so.

However, it's all in good fun. All of us love flying -- period. Most of us
would own and fly just about any plane, any time, no matter where the wing
was placed, and be happy. There really is no significant difference between
the two types, and they both work just fine -- so we've got to come up with
SOMETHING good to argue about, don't we?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 04, 03:38 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

However, it's all in good fun. All of us love flying -- period. Most of

us
would own and fly just about any plane, any time, no matter where the wing
was placed, and be happy. There really is no significant difference

between
the two types, and they both work just fine --

Perhaps this should be part of the FAQ for the group?

Old May 10th 04, 04:12 AM
Richard Hertz

some low wings have no doors. nothing beats a sliding canopy.

"tony" wrote in message
This is gonna sound a lot like a Robert Frost poem.

High wined aircraft usually have two doors, low winged ones have one,

High winged aircraft, for pilots who fly in rain, let you get in without
getting the seat wet, low winged ones make the pilot wipe the passanger

seat
with his slacks as he slides across.

Draining fuel from a highwinged airplane is easy to do, visually checking

fuel
levels is easier in a low winged one.

Skirts and getting aboard low winged airplanes are a problem, and the

damned
thing is, the pilot gets in first so he can't help or enjoy the view.

There's nothing with a lower wing than a Mooney, and that's what I have.

And yes, sometimes I do like my tail backwards.

AJW

Old May 10th 04, 04:12 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Various resources on the 'net list a physician's average income as ranging
anywhere from $129K to $255K annually.

That makes it about the same as mid-level managers at my former place of employment.

Old May 10th 04, 04:35 AM
Morgans

"David Megginson" wrote
Seriously, with all the hype about the Cirrus and Lancair composite

planes,
I'm still not all that impressed -- for all the new materials and

techniques
no one (except maybe Diamond with their TwinStar) seems to come close to a
1970's Mooney aircraft's combination of speed and efficiency.

All the best,

David

Ouch! Have you seen the single engine ceiling for the Diamond?

I'm not impressed. Truely a better way to get to the crash site.
--
Jim in NC

---

High wing to low wing converts...or, visa versa? Jack Allison Owning 99 January 27th 05 11:10 AM
High wing vs low wing temp Owning 11 June 10th 04 02:36 AM
High Wing or Low Wing Bob Babcock Home Built 17 January 23rd 04 01:34 AM
End of High wing low wing search for me dan Home Built 7 January 11th 04 10:57 AM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM