Getting a little sick of it all

Old March 6th 04, 12:54 AM
MRQB

I can claim it as an reinvestment and/or use it for education IE: Training.

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

"MRQB" wrote in message
Looks like The Federal Government Is going to get $3,700 off me for

Capital
Gains I would rather give that money to a private party on a

reinvestment
than the Federal Goverment.

Why is this relevent? How is buying an airplane going to defer your

gains?

Mike
MU-2

"John Galban" wrote in message
m...
"MRQB" wrote in message

Yes, its getting a little frustrating I think I am going to quit

looking
for
a while just to let my nerves settle a bit.

I saw this coming when you posted that you had cash and were looking
for a "quick sale". As I recall, I mentioned something to the effect
that this would seem very attractive to junk dealers. To them, a
quick sale means that you will not dig deep as far as inspections and
paperwork are concerned.

It sounds to me like you are taking your time to make a thoroughly
informed purchasing decision. People selling junk do not take kindly
to this. Too bad for them. Don't get worked up about it. Don't
argue with them on the phone. Just walk away. The moment a seller
tells you that you can't have your independent A&P inspect the
aircraft, just thank him for his time and walk away. This is not a
person from which you want to be buying an aircraft.

Ultimately, patience is the key to getting a good one. It takes a
lot of time, looking at a lot of junk, to find a good reliable
airplane that is reasonably priced (unless you're very lucky).

It took me six months to find my first airplane and 3 months to find
my second. In both cases, I stumbled across my eventual purchase
before it was advertised. Also in both cases, I spent most of the
total time looking at airplanes that were eventually found to be
unsuitable for one reason or another. It's the price you have to pay
to weed out the not-so-great airplanes from the great ones. It is not
a quick process and IMHO, not a particularly enjoyable experience to
have to repeatedly waste time wading through logbooks of aircraft you
won't purchase.

Why bother? I have several friends and acquaintences that didn't do
a thorough job in the weeding process and had to live with the
results. For the most part, they regretted it for a long time (and
many paychecks). A few became disenchanted with ownership and sold
out at a loss, never to return to ownership. So, just have some
patience with the process and do not buy anything that you didn't
thoroughly check out. Some of the scariest planes I ever saw had sexy
new paint jobs and sparkling interiors.

Good Luck,

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 6th 04, 01:54 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Ray Andraka wrote:
: Sorry, but I do get a kick out of flying instruments. There's not
: much like coming out of an overcast with the runway right in front
: of you. Climbing up on top of a rainy day into bright sunshine
: is quite a kick too. Flying in and out of clouds, and the
: rainbows and the cloud canyons.... Thanks, but these things
: just can't be beat and then I can enjoy the earth on days when you
: vfr only folks are dodging the 20 hour a year yahoos.

YES! There's nothing like skiming o'er the top of an overcast in bright
sunlight (don't forget your sunglasses, even when it's miserable on
the ground!), whiffing through the occasional wispy ridge, watching the
airplane-shaped rainbow, and in the middle of this reverie having Boston
approach say "Cherokee 76J say type approach at Mansfield", and having to
tie down in the rain.

--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old March 6th 04, 02:11 AM
Rosspilot

I also love flying IFR . . . in addition to all that you guys have mentioned
(especially breaking out and seeing the runway lights right in front of you
where they belong) I love the intense concentration and being so totally
absorbed in what you are doing.

It is a heluva sense of accomplishment, and most gratifying.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old March 6th 04, 04:39 AM
Ray Andraka

Ayup!

Rosspilot wrote:

I also love flying IFR . . . in addition to all that you guys have mentioned
(especially breaking out and seeing the runway lights right in front of you
where they belong) I love the intense concentration and being so totally
absorbed in what you are doing.

It is a heluva sense of accomplishment, and most gratifying.

www.Rosspilot.com

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 6th 04, 02:30 PM
Jay Honeck

Partly, but we had storms early in January, and the temperature didn't get
above freezing all month. The plane was encased in ice for over three

weeks.

Doesn't that over-stress the fabric?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 04, 02:36 PM
Jay Honeck

I think the 2 hour a month generalization is misleading. If you fly once
a month, for 2 hours, then you're probably rusty. If you fly once a
week, for a 1/2 hour, which has several takeoffs and landings, then
you're probably staying as sharp as anyone else (other than the guys who
are lucky enough to fly every day).

True enough.

I wasn't referring to the guys who fly the pattern for 30 minutes a week. I
know several of them, and they are probably the best pilots around.

In fact, we hear one guy on Unicom at the inn practically every sunny day.
(He has a very pronounced accent, so we recognize him instantly.) The guy
apparently owns his own plane, and NEVER leaves the pattern. He's probably
got more landings than I do, in the 18 months I've been hearing him!

Those guys don't worry me. It's the ones who don't open the hangar for four
months, and THEN go fly that scare me. I'm sure in a few flights they're
back up to speed, but I've still got to share the sky with them while they
are trying to figure out how to enter the pattern again...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 04, 03:36 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:
...the temperature didn't get above freezing all month.
The plane was encased in ice for over three weeks.

Ick.

And I bitch about summer down here...

Hmmmmm... heard this guy on George Noory's radio show last night.

http://www.iceagenow.com/index.htm

Old March 6th 04, 03:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Partly, but we had storms early in January, and the temperature didn't get
above freezing all month. The plane was encased in ice for over three

weeks.

Doesn't that over-stress the fabric?

No.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old March 6th 04, 03:49 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Hmmmmm... heard this guy on George Noory's radio show last night.

http://www.iceagenow.com/index.htm

Well, it was reported to be one of the ten coldest Januaries ever recorded in
New Jersey. Before one assumes that that presages an new ice age, one should
flip it around. In the past, there were quite a number of colder winters.
Besides - that's just New Jersey. Hardly an indicator of a global condition.

Old March 6th 04, 04:35 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Hmmmmm... heard this guy on George Noory's radio show last night.

http://www.iceagenow.com/index.htm

Well, it was reported to be one of the ten coldest Januaries ever recorded

in
New Jersey. Before one assumes that that presages an new ice age, one

should
flip it around. In the past, there were quite a number of colder winters.
Besides - that's just New Jersey. Hardly an indicator of a global

condition.

Read his links about all the records set in the past few years...worldwide.