Taking the pledge

Old March 5th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Taking the pledge

Anthony seems to live rent-free in the head of several member's of this
distinguished group.... Pretty freakn' sad...

Agreed.

I'm more concerned about that aspect of MX then I am about his posts.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-03-04, Larry Dighera wrote:
The beer drinking, OSH crony group among the newsgroup readership
deludes themselves, in their ignorance, by believing they can effect a
total and complete ostracization of Anthony by swearing an oath.

It worked for the "wide mouthed fish" problem around 2000 or so. That
particular troll was far more virulent, too. The majority of the group
sent him to coventry - and he didn't stay much longer.

It doesn't require total participation. Just a good enough majority that
hardly anyone responds.

Old March 5th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-03-04, Morgans wrote:

Any volunteers to take on this project? It's above my head, for sure.

Don't even think of doing it. The ummm... "wide mouth fish" troll of
2000 did this, and quite rightly, caused a great deal of annoyance.

Old March 5th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

On 2007-03-04, Morgans wrote:
Any volunteers to take on this project? It's above my head, for sure.

Don't even think of doing it. The ummm... "wide mouth fish" troll of
2000 did this, and quite rightly, caused a great deal of annoyance.

I remember the bass wars but had not realized they had occurred that
long ago. Guess I've been following the group longer then I thought.
Old March 5th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Get a life.
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, folks, enough is enough. We've got good, long-term, high
quality pilots seriously discussing vandalizing someone's website,
because of said someone's troll-dom.

In the past, I have defended said troll, and lambasted said vandals,
but have now come to realize that this troll is obviously so divisive
and upsetting to some that this issue risks tearing apart the very
fabric of rec.aviation.

I personally find this amazing (he truly doesn't bother me that much)
but, in the interest of keeping this newsgroup intact and (relatively)
harmonious, I hereby publically make the following pledges, and urge
others to join me he

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

All in favor, say "aye"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
ups.com...

Before everyone starts thinking how all-fired important it is what
they think and what goes on here, it might be good to realize that
probably 700,000 + pilots in this country don't even know this group
exists and they get along just fine.

FYI, there are a little less than 600K pilots in this country...

No one is going to commit suicide if this group goes away. Your post has a
condescending tone so I must ask why you participate in this group if you
think it is of such little importance.

Public forums are only as good as the participants' contributions. The
groups encompassing r.a.piloting, r.a.owning, r.a.student, and r.a.ifr are
some of the most active and appreciated groups in the system. It became that
way because the posters [in general] spend lots of time to craft thoughtful,
on-topic, and courteous posts that allow others to learn a little something
and keep everyone coming back. You've posted many quality, though-provoking
posts to these groups Gene, so you've helped create these groups as well. I
would think that time you spent has been of some value to you.

When a single poster creates such a disturbence (rightly or wrongly) that it
drives many--if not most--of the quality posters away, the folks who've
spent that time to make these groups what they are have a legitimate gripe.

Losing quality participants is equivalent to killing the group. The
different reactions we see from all these folks are just the different ways
that people fight for what is of value to them.

Marco

Old March 5th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:55:23 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote in
:

It doesn't require total participation. Just a good enough majority that
hardly anyone responds.

Are you aware that Anthony now crossposts to rec.aviation.student.
You'll have to get them on board too.
Old March 5th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
Get a life.

Anyone who knows Jay either through this forum or has met him in person
knows that he has not only a life, but a pretty fulfilling one at that. If
there's anyone living the "American Dream," it's Jay.

Although I'm not sure if he's got a white picket fence around his house...

I guess you're one of those people that still think interaction using the
internet as a medium is not actually "real" but just imagined.

Marco

Old March 5th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anthony seems to live rent-free in the head of several member's of this
distinguished group.... Pretty freakn' sad...

Agreed.

I'm more concerned about that aspect of MX then I am about his posts.

I also find it interesting how different people react to him. However, like
you, what concerns me is how he's driving good, quality participants away
from the rec.aviation groups. The quality of the posters define the group.
Without them, it's dead--simple as that. We've all worked hard to make this
forum what it is today and it will disappointing to see it go away.

Marco

Old March 5th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 01:05:43 GMT, Judah wrote:

I think the insults and sarcasm only fuel his fire.

Anthony is one of those people that would rather live in infamy than
obscurity.

--
Dallas

The NEW liquid spray Pledge - Pledge® Multi-Surface Clean & Dust Spray No Spam Owning 6 February 15th 05 05:50 PM
Lemon Pledge Gerry Preston Owning 15 June 18th 04 09:00 PM
Limitations of Lemon Pledge Jay Honeck Owning 36 May 6th 04 08:44 PM
Annual Costs - Take the Pledge Roger Long Owning 25 February 1st 04 03:41 PM
I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE..... ArtKramr Military Aviation 19 October 24th 03 07:51 PM