We Are All Spaniards

Old March 25th 04, 01:32 PM
Wdtabor

In article , Martin Hotze
writes:

Germany and France have their economy
standing still, not growing.

how you come to put Germany's economy together with France's? they don't have

really much in common (except the same market, the EU).

Unemployment in Germany is 10%, what is it in France?

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old March 26th 04, 01:48 PM
Wdtabor

In article , Martin Hotze
writes:

Who is going to invade Austria?

we = Europe

What other country would Austria help?

well (speaking of Austria), AFAIK the 4 nations that signed the treaty would
have to (UK, France, US, Russia).

It would have been nice if you guys would have handled the Balkans crap
yourselves instead of us having to go over there and stop the genocide.

We have to do those things because you folks don't.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old March 26th 04, 02:15 PM
Jay Honeck

It would have been nice if you guys would have handled the Balkans crap
yourselves instead of us having to go over there and stop the genocide.

We have to do those things because you folks don't.

Further, Martin, what if we HADN'T stopped the killing? How long until the
ethnic hatred and anger had spilled across more borders, and involved MORE
countries?

Europe in general, and Austria in particular, will be "consulted" and
"treated as an equal" when you can figure out how to fix these kinds of
problems without allowing them to become world wars.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 26th 04, 01:48 PM
Wdtabor

In article , Martin Hotze
writes:

(Wdtabor) wrote:

and we can now address the
problem areas in Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia individually and in whatever

way
is appropriate.

neat wording for "do what we want because we are stronger. we can invade you
anytime. we don't care what you do or think, we are right and you are wrong.
always."

Neat wording is the soul of diplomacy.

But OK, I'll be a bit more blunt. If Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia continue to
support and shelter people who periodically come out and try to murder my
children, we'll stomp them flatter than bat**** and install a government there
that will keep its fanatics in line.

There, feel better?

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old March 27th 04, 12:57 PM
Dan Luke

"Wdtabor" wrote:
we'll ...install a government there
that will keep its fanatics in line.

Had that already in Iran. Remember how well that worked?

The idea that we can barge around the world installing puppet
governments by force and thereby create a secure situation for ourselves
is lunacy.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 27th 04, 01:48 PM
Jay Honeck

The idea that we can barge around the world installing puppet
governments by force and thereby create a secure situation for ourselves
is lunacy.

Well, we've seen what happens when the Islamo-fascists are allowed to set up
a government without any outside interference. Can you say "Taliban?"

Their radical religious beliefs dictate a society that is diametrically
opposed to freedom and democracy. Worse, they feel it is their duty to
assimilate -- or destroy -- non-believers.

Can you say "The Borg?"

Personally, I'd just as soon hunker down behind our oceans, and tell them
all to get screwed -- but I don't think that works anymore. I just don't
see a viable alternative to Don's scenario, Dan.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 04, 02:01 PM
Bob Noel

In article yCf9c.106480$_w.1340711@attbi_s53, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Personally, I'd just as soon hunker down behind our oceans, and tell them
all to get screwed -- but I don't think that works anymore. I just don't
see a viable alternative to Don's scenario, Dan.

we have to continue the search for a viable approach. Experience
has shown that installing puppet governments isn't good, experience
has shown that trying to buy goodwill or safety doesn't work
(e.g., North Korea), and our experience with letting dangers
develop in other nations unchecked leads to attacks within the US.
But we can't give up. We must find solutions.

--
Bob Noel
Old March 27th 04, 02:04 PM
Jay Honeck

we have to continue the search for a viable approach. Experience
has shown that installing puppet governments isn't good, experience
has shown that trying to buy goodwill or safety doesn't work
(e.g., North Korea), and our experience with letting dangers
develop in other nations unchecked leads to attacks within the US.
But we can't give up. We must find solutions.

Well, we established "puppet governments" in Germany and Japan -- and *they*
seem to be doing okay.

I think the trick is to plant the seeds of freedom, and then carefully,
slowly get the hell out of the way.

People like having the vote, and the power to change things. Democracy can
be -- and should be -- contagious.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 04, 02:21 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote:

Personally, I'd just as soon hunker down behind our oceans, and tell

them
all to get screwed -- but I don't think that works anymore. I just

don't
see a viable alternative to Don's scenario, Dan.

we have to continue the search for a viable approach. Experience
has shown that installing puppet governments isn't good, experience
has shown that trying to buy goodwill or safety doesn't work
(e.g., North Korea), and our experience with letting dangers
develop in other nations unchecked leads to attacks within the US.
But we can't give up. We must find solutions.

Workable solutions, not politically popular or expedient solutions.

Old March 27th 04, 02:18 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
I just don't see a viable alternative to Don's scenario, Dan.

So because we don't perceive a simple answer, we should pursue a policy
that history has already proven to be a failure? Have we forgotten the
Soviet experience in Afghanistan? Don's simplistic scenario belongs in
a Tom Clancy novel; it's fantasy.