At last, the truth...

Old August 16th 05, 07:09 PM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
[...]
So one doesn't need to be "just like" Jay to live a life like that.

No, I think Jose has it right.

While there are similarities between your life and Jay's, I have no doubt
there are significant differences too. For you to enjoy EVERY aspect of
Jay's life in the same way that Jay does, you WOULD have to be *just like*
Jay.

One merely needs to set up a life, and a life partner, that works like
that.

Most people do not have the absolute degree of choice that is implied in
such a misleadingly simple statement. Life is not so simple, and for most
of us who still have a deeply abiding passion for aviation, there are other
unrelated aspects of our lives that are also important. One does not
"merely...set up a life, and a life partner". Those things are not 100%
subject to a person's whim, nor can they necessarily be centered completely
around aviation (or any other one pursuit).

For anyone who does get such an aviation-oriented life, and is still happy
with all other aspects, that's great. But it doesn't always work out that
way. I don't have to think very hard to recall friends who "picked" a
spouse based on a single criteria, only to discover that they were
incompatible in a number of other ways.

My wife is only marginally interested in aviation (and yes, I suppose that's
part of the reason it's hard for me to remain involved), but there are a
wide variety of other aspects of our lives that are aligned extremely well.
I wouldn't trade her for anything, but even if I were so inclined, I
certainly wouldn't trade her for someone else knowing only that that other
person had the same passion for aviation that I do. There are too many
other things that could go wrong.

Perhaps for the rare person for whom aviation is literally THE only thing
they care about, nothing else might matter. For the rest of us, we do care
about things other than aviation, and life is a great (and I mean that in
the best way) compromise.

Pete

Old August 16th 05, 07:26 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter Duniho wrote:

For anyone who does get such an aviation-oriented life, and is still happy
with all other aspects, that's great.Â*Â*ButÂ*itÂ*doesn'tÂ*alwaysÂ*workÂ*outÂ*tha t
way.Â*Â*IÂ*don'tÂ*haveÂ*toÂ*thinkÂ*veryÂ*hardÂ*to *recallÂ*friendsÂ*whoÂ*"picked"Â*a
spouse based on a single criteria, only to discover that they were
incompatible in a number of other ways.

I didn't mean to imply "a single criteria". We work together, so obviously
we've other common interests. More, we're sufficiently compatible so that
we *can* work together.

To me, this is natural. While my Mother didn't have a "career" outside of
herding us during my youth, I'd a set of Grandparents that had a thriving
business together at that time.

Yet we get a great many comments from visitors to our office that would
appear to indicate otherwise. Many would never work with a spouse. Until
I became used to this, it left me puzzled.

So I'm not recommending a "single issue marriage". Rather, I'm recommending
an "all issue marriage".

I apologize for being unclear.

- Andrew

Old August 16th 05, 08:14 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Check http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/trend.html for a quantitative
summary of trends. Private, commercial and instrument issuances are
down 12% since 2000. New aircraft shipments are down 10% since 2000.
Avgas sale is down almost 25% since 1999. OK, dying may be an
overstatement, but it is not looking rosy either. On the other hand,
this year's Airventure drew record crowds. I am not sure what to make
of that, but it is probably something similar to what happens in
spectator sports. Large number of people turn up to watch but very few
are able to participate.

Old August 16th 05, 08:23 PM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
[...]
So I'm not recommending a "single issue marriage". Rather, I'm
recommending
an "all issue marriage".

I still feel that an "all issue marriage" is not a practical expectation.
It's not that it never happens, but it's an exceedingly rare situation.

Entire books can be (and have been) written on the topic of a successful
marriage, and I won't try to cover that very off-topic ground here. Suffice
to say, there are some things that are VERY important to a successful
marriage, but sharing each other's personal interests 100% isn't one of
them.

Pete

Old August 16th 05, 08:57 PM
TaxSrv

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote:
On the other hand, this year's Airventure
drew record crowds.

Using their claims of attendance, and ignoring the fact that
they're bogus, the highest they've ever claimed is 855,000
"attendance-days" in 1998; this year it's stated as "nearly
700,000."

Fred F.

Old August 16th 05, 09:48 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Check http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/trend.html for a quantitative
summary of trends. Private, commercial and instrument issuances are
down 12% since 2000. New aircraft shipments are down 10% since 2000.
Avgas sale is down almost 25% since 1999. OK, dying may be an
overstatement, but it is not looking rosy either. On the other hand,
this year's Airventure drew record crowds. I am not sure what to make
of that, but it is probably something similar to what happens in
spectator sports. Large number of people turn up to watch but very few
are able to participate.

Interesting....

Total Student Issuances
59,989
59,311
-1%
-678

Private Issuances
23,826
23,331
-2%
-495

If you use these numbers you would get a pretty good feel for the number of
people who start and then don't get their license. If only 10% of the
drop-outs were retained that would be more than 3600 more private pilots.

Old August 16th 05, 09:56 PM
TaxSrv

"Morgans" wrote:

It is impossible to know about attendance for the whole

week,

It's not impossible. They use convention management
software which was a finalist in Microsoft's annual world
Windows competition, with awards handed out by Gates himself
at COMDEX. I'll assume that the simplest thing that
software does is tally up the number of daily tickets sold.
Then just add the freebie tickets given out, like to media
and exhibitors, for total attendance.

Fred F.

Old August 16th 05, 10:22 PM
Skywise

"Jay Honeck" wrote in news:JpkMe.256396$_o.162106
@attbi_s71:

When you're riding the streets and freeways around LA, it's like
combat at zero AGL. The enemy uses their vehicles as weapons and
your only defense is superior maneuverability.

Los Angeles is the only place I've ever ridden where I was actually spat
upon.

It's a pit; you can have it.

I don't want it either!!!! Actually, I live in Orange County. Don't
know that it's much better, though.

I've had the occasional problem with the errant cigarette butt or
ice dumped from a drink, or sand blowing out of a dump truck. Worse
injury was getting a large bug in the lip at 90 mph. Cut the inside
where my lip got smashed against my teeth. Didn't swallow any bug
parts. I keep my mouth shut.

But anyway, my riding tactics have evolved to the point that such
things aren't much of a problem anymore. I just don't allow myself
to become a target. It requires taking proactive control of my
situation in traffic and breaking a few laws along the way, but my
'close encounters' have dropped to near zero.

Now if only I had wings.....

Brian

Blog: http://www.skywise711.com/Blog

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old August 16th 05, 10:29 PM
Morgans

"TaxSrv" wrote in message
"Andrew Sarangan" wrote:
On the other hand, this year's Airventure
drew record crowds.

Using their claims of attendance, and ignoring the fact that
they're bogus, the highest they've ever claimed is 855,000
"attendance-days" in 1998; this year it's stated as "nearly
700,000."

It is impossible to know about attendance for the whole week, but every
person I talked to that has been there every day for decades, says that the
Saturday crowd was BY FAR the largest one day crowd they had EVER seen. I
agree.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 16th 05, 11:15 PM
RST Engineering

I'll argue that from two observations. First, not once in the last 33 years
have I seen the parking lots at the dorms with a single open space after
about 9:30 in the evening. This year they were at least 1/3 empty every
night.

Second, the traffic to get onto the field in the morning was nowhere NEAR as
congested as any other year.

Either they have stopped driving to Oshkosh or there were fewer people; I
suspect the latter.

Jim