OT - Video Card Question(s)

Old November 22nd 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default OT - Kiwi Computer System Upgrade (Was: OT - Video Card Questions)

In article ,
Jose wrote:

If you can point me to a vendor that one can reliably get 500 floppies at
no charge, fine. Otherwise, I fail to see what your unique situation
has to do with it.

I have several hundred sitting in a cabinet in my basement. I started
out with a case of them 15 years ago.
Old November 22nd 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg B

"john smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

For best speed, set up a striped RAID array of 10,000RPM drives. It'll
cost
a fortune, but you won't ever spend much time waiting on the disk.

Western Digital RAPTOR 160 GB SATA is $229 at CompUSA.

Or the Seagate ST3300655SS - 300GB 15K rpm Serial Attached SCSI or the
ST3300655FC Fibre Channel version.
http://seagate.com/docs/pdf/datashee...etah_15k_5.pdf
An array of these will set you back a few AMU's...
;-)

Old November 22nd 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

There are some people who know for a fact that they will use a floppy drive.
For everyone else, today there is no good reason to have one.

Agreed. In fact, I tried to remember the last time I used a floppy,
and I think it was earlier this year when my 13 year old daughter
needed to take a Powerpoint presentation to school. For some reason
only a floppy would do -- no CDs allowed -- so I dredged one up out of
our lockbox, from back in the days when we kept our home inventory on
floppies.

Musta been from the '80s...

;-)

Still, for $13, I included it, simply because you never know when you
might need it. If computers continue to progress the way they have, my
new "God System" will end up in my daughter's dorm room in five years,
as a "junk" machine.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 22nd 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The fact is, there are still people who trust each other well enough to
enter into such agreements with little or no legal protection. And it
doesn't just happen in cow towns like Iowa City.

"Cow town"? Look, when I lived in Wisconsin, that was applicable.
Here in Iowa, this is PIG country -- get it right, dammit.

;-)

Now, as to whether or not I'm getting this machine "at cost" or not.
This is a gentleman's agreement, little more than a "Hey, that's a cool
idea -- I can help" kind of thing. There's no implied contract (other
than the fact that I'm paying him "x", and he's agreed -- in writing --
to deliver "y") for anything.

If I don't put signs up touting his business, he has no recourse. If
he sells me parts at retail (instead of wholesale), I have no recourse.

Neither of us cares. Both of us are happy. Both will profit. That's
the way we do things in Iowa.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 22nd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric Bartsch

Default OT - Video Card Question(s)

Jay,

I may be able to stop in on Saturday. Otherwise, I'll have to drop by
and convince the staff to let me see the simulator. Sounds like you are
going to town on upgrading it already...

Eric

Jay Honeck wrote:
I may have to find time to drop in this week and see the Kiwi. I'll be
in the Iowa City area visiting relatives for the holiday. Sadly the
Pilatus will have to stay home as we're driving from Ohio. Are there
times that are better or worse to drop by on Tuesday or Wednesday?

Hi Eric --

Mary and I are taking Wed/Thu/Fri off, so if you stop by Wednesday,
you'll get to meet my small-but-dedicated staff!

And what's this "driving from Ohio" stuff all about?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 22nd 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Cow town"? Look, when I lived in Wisconsin, that was applicable.
Here in Iowa, this is PIG country -- get it right, dammit.

Okay, my bad. We have both pigs *and* cows here in the Pacific Northwest,
so I'm unaccustomed to the specialization in livestock that exists
elsewhere.

[...]
Neither of us cares. Both of us are happy. Both will profit. That's
the way we do things in Iowa.

That's pretty much what I figured. And for the record, it's not unique to
Iowa, or even to rural areas. I'm sure that, just as here in a more urban
setting we still engage in informal agreements like the one in this thread,
in Iowa people still use legal contracts for a variety of other business
agreements.

Pete

Old November 22nd 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Agreed. In fact, I tried to remember the last time I used a floppy,
and I think it was earlier this year when my 13 year old daughter
needed to take a Powerpoint presentation to school. For some reason
only a floppy would do -- no CDs allowed -- so I dredged one up out of
our lockbox, from back in the days when we kept our home inventory on
floppies.

My kids each have a USB flash drive for transporting files between home
and school.
Old November 22nd 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:53:34 -0800, Peter Duniho wrote:

I haven't bought a computer with a floppy drive in five years, and probably
haven't even used a floppy drive in three. A floppy drive is just a dust
collector these days.

So how do you update a BIOS?

Pete

#m
--
Enemy Combatant http://itsnotallbad.com/
Old November 22nd 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:35:03 -0800, Peter Duniho wrote:

The USB flash drives all act as a
standard disk controller, and the standard Windows USB drivers recognize it
as such.

no sir.

each USB stick needs is own set of drivers (unless you find some with the
sam chipset). But I agree, mostly these drivers come with a small cd-rom.

#m
--
Enemy Combatant http://itsnotallbad.com/
Old November 22nd 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:23:12 -0800, Peter Duniho wrote:

Once those drivers are
installed, you don't need additional drives specific to the make or model of
USB flash drive.

it shows that you never used a USB stick on a win98 machine.

#m
--
Enemy Combatant http://itsnotallbad.com/