What about the AIM-54 Pheonix Missile?

Old September 25th 03, 11:26 AM
Flub

Default What about the AIM-54 Pheonix Missile?

When the US Navy is going to retire all of its F-14 Tomcats, what will
happen with the feared long-range Pheonix missile? As I know, the F-14 is
the only frame that can carry this weapon. Or am I wrong? Will the Super
Hornet use the AIM-54? Or will they retire the AIM-54 also, as it has no
longer such a military value as during the Cold War?

Thx for the Info

Old September 25th 03, 11:58 AM
Andreas Parsch

Flub wrote:

When the US Navy is going to retire all of its F-14 Tomcats, what will
happen with the feared long-range Pheonix missile? As I know, the F-14 is
the only frame that can carry this weapon. Or am I wrong? Will the Super
Hornet use the AIM-54? Or will they retire the AIM-54 also, as it has no
longer such a military value as during the Cold War?

Phoenix will be retired together with the Tomcat around 2010(?).

Andreas

Old September 25th 03, 12:08 PM
Thomas Schoene

"Flub" wrote in message

When the US Navy is going to retire all of its F-14 Tomcats, what will
happen with the feared long-range Pheonix missile? As I know, the
F-14 is the only frame that can carry this weapon. Or am I wrong?
Will the Super Hornet use the AIM-54? Or will they retire the AIM-54
also, as it has no longer such a military value as during the Cold
War?

The F-14As go away by the end of 2004 (if not earlier) and the Bs and Ds by
2007/2008.

I believe Phoenix is actually being retired before the F-14. Earlier this
year, they talked about a "vertical kill" to the Phoenix budget line to free
up money for new programs. If that happened, look for the missile to
disappear by 2004.

No other aircraft can fire Pheonix, but the rnage of AMRAAM keeps creeping
up. At some point, it may be a match to AIM-545 (perhaps with a ramjet
engine like Meteor, perhaps not).

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old September 25th 03, 01:58 PM
Kevin Brooks

Andreas Parsch wrote in message ...
Flub wrote:

When the US Navy is going to retire all of its F-14 Tomcats, what will
happen with the feared long-range Pheonix missile? As I know, the F-14 is
the only frame that can carry this weapon. Or am I wrong? Will the Super
Hornet use the AIM-54? Or will they retire the AIM-54 also, as it has no
longer such a military value as during the Cold War?

Phoenix will be retired together with the Tomcat around 2010(?).

"By 2007" according to a March 2003 report:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...0327-nns05.htm

Brooks

Andreas

Old September 25th 03, 02:30 PM
Greg Hennessy

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:58:58 +0200, Andreas Parsch wrote:

?

Phoenix will be retired together with the Tomcat around 2010(?).

How many are left ? It would have the makings of a seriously long legged
ARM.

greg

--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Absorbent and yellow and pourous is he!

Old September 25th 03, 06:37 PM
Harry Andreas

In article et, "Thomas
Schoene" wrote:

"Flub" wrote in message

[...]

That won't help the F-14D fleet though. They can't shoot AIM-120 without
aircraft upgrades and radar software. Have to balance the cost of
that against the cost of keeping some AIM-54s alive.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old September 25th 03, 11:36 PM
Kevin Brooks

(Harry Andreas) wrote in message ...
In article et, "Thomas
Schoene" wrote:

"Flub" wrote in message

[...]

Not necessarily. Given that the air threat to the CV's, or for that
matter to their strike packages, is greatly reduced these days, the
USN may be willing to place the major air defense/air superiority
roles solely in the hands of the F-18's with their AIM-120's, and use
the diminishing Tomcat fleet in their "Bombcat" role, with only
AIM-9's for self defense.

Brooks
Old September 26th 03, 05:56 AM
tim gueguen

"Flub" wrote in message
When the US Navy is going to retire all of its F-14 Tomcats, what will
happen with the feared long-range Pheonix missile?

Its debateable how feared the Phoenix is. The Iranians claimed a number of
kills from theirs, but the reality is that the Phoenix never saw use in the
role it was designed for, which is defending carrier task groups at long
range from Soviet bomber attack.

tim gueguen 101867

Old September 26th 03, 08:25 AM
Tom Cooper

"tim gueguen" wrote in message

"Flub" wrote in message
When the US Navy is going to retire all of its F-14 Tomcats, what will
happen with the feared long-range Pheonix missile?

Its debateable how feared the Phoenix is.

Tim,
except in the US and Russian (i.e. Soviet at the time) _public_ (and, of
course, all the possible internet forums and news groups), it was never
"debatable" how "feared" the Phoenix is.

To express it in the words of an Iraqi Su-22-strike leader, in reaction to
one of the Mirage F.1EQs that was escorting his forumation being blown away
by a "non-functioning/not serviceable/useless/can be used only against
bombers" Iranian AIM-54A, in February 1987:
- "F-14! Yalla! Yalla!"...

(translation: "F-14! Run! Run!")

Tom Cooper
Co-Author:
Iran-Iraq War in the Air, 1980-1988:
http://www.acig.org/pg1/content.php
and,
Iranian F-4 Phantom II Units in Combat:
http://www.osprey-publishing.co.uk/t...hp/title=S6585

Old September 28th 03, 01:33 PM
Brian

"Flub" wrote in message
When the US Navy is going to retire all of its F-14 Tomcats, what will
happen with the feared long-range Pheonix missile?

Its debateable how feared the Phoenix is. The Iranians claimed a number

of
kills from theirs, but the reality is that the Phoenix never saw use in

the
role it was designed for, which is defending carrier task groups at long
range from Soviet bomber attack.

Ok, we'll put you in the cockpit of a target aircraft and you can debate how
fearful it is