NBC is attempting to demonstrate vulnerability of GA airports

Old August 14th 04, 12:54 AM
Tom S.

"Allen" wrote in message
news

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
news

"Hilton" wrote in message
link.net...
C J Campbell wrote:
The whole thing seems incredibly dangerous to me. What if they start
pulling
out their weapons and making threatening movements during the

flight?
pilot might kill them first and ask questions later.

Or get distracted, crash, and have NBC run a program on how GA killed

two
of
theirs, small planes are dangerous, etc etc etc...

I would destroy an airplane before letting a terrorist have it. If I

crashed
under such circumstances it would be deliberate. I would attempt to make
sure that ATC knew what was going on and I might attempt to make the

crash
survivable, but those would be secondary priorities. There being no way

tell the difference between reporters acting like terrorists and

terrorists
claiming to be reporters, I would assume that they might say anything or
produce any kind of supposed documentation if their lives were

threatened.
Kill them first, I say, and let NBC explain things later if turns out

their
guys were real.

I would say a reporter ACTING like a terrorist IS a terrorist and should

be
dealt with accordingly. At some point it is to late to say "Uh, just
kidding".

Much like committing an armed robbery with a fake or unloaded weapon is "no
excuse".

In the South you could just say "They needed killin'!".

Old August 14th 04, 12:57 AM
Tom S.

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
I don't know what they are teaching these news reporters in college
now days, but I suspect that all programs follow the same, dull
agenda. The recipe is as follows....

1) Find a hot/controversial topic in the public eye.
2) Send the most clueless reporter out into the field to "stir the
pot"
3) If the story does not go your way (or the way you expect), skew the
interview till it does.
4) At the end of the report, state that "News channel XXX 'on your
side' will continue to cover this story for the good of the community"

About 20 years ago when the Delta airline plane crashed due to
windshier in DFW, I worked at our local airport cleaning planes at
night. This particular night we noticed a news truck at the local FBO
and went over to see what was happening. Well, the only person at
night at the FBO was the local redneck that sold fuel. This guy
dropped out of the 8th grade and only had a few teeth in his mouth
(hence why he worked night shift). Well, the local news channel sent a
young reporter out to "get the scoop" and this guy was the only one
they found. The live news report went something like this.

Reporter: So, we are talking to Daryl. He's a pilot for Corporate
Air. Daryl, in your opinion what happened this evening at DFW?

Daryl: Well, I've been watching the same news coverage you have and
I've been praying for the people on that aircraft.

Reporter: In your career, have you ever encountered similar weather
conditions that existed at the time of landing at DFW?

Daryl: No, I've never been that far away from here. However I have
seen a few storms that would not be good to fly through.

Reporter: So weather is likely the cause of this crash?

Daryl: Well, the FAA has some good people and I'm sure they will find
out what happened.

I was amazed at how obvious it was that Daryl had NO idea what
happened and clearly he is NOT a pilot. Afterwards I talked to Daryl
and he said that they showed up at the airport about 15 minutes before
the local news went on the air and was asking to speak with a Pilot.
He told them no one was around and he was only the "night watchmen"
and was NOT a pilot. However they were going to make him a pilot
anyway since they did not have enough time to look elsewhere.

Sounds like that "dumb redneck" had far more brains than those "college boy"
newspukes.

Old August 16th 04, 06:49 AM
Hilton

C J Campbell wrote:
Honestly, though, it bothers me that so many pilots seem to think that a
moment's distraction is enough to cause you to lose control of an

airplane.
What kind of pilot skill is that?

Me thinks you're trivializing one guy sitting right next to you, another
right behind you with his arm around your neck, both screaming and shouting
and holding knifes at your neck.

Hilton

Old August 16th 04, 02:48 PM
C J Campbell

"Hilton" wrote in message
link.net...
C J Campbell wrote:
Honestly, though, it bothers me that so many pilots seem to think that a
moment's distraction is enough to cause you to lose control of an

airplane.
What kind of pilot skill is that?

Me thinks you're trivializing one guy sitting right next to you, another
right behind you with his arm around your neck, both screaming and

shouting
and holding knifes at your neck.

Well, if they are going to disable the pilot, that is a little more than
what I generally think of as a "distraction." Anyway, if things got that far
then the airplane might as well be allowed to destroy itself. You have to
figure that you're dead anyway.